The Student Room Group

Going out and being non drinker problems!! help!

Hi guys,

I am very much into my healthy eating/fitness so I don't drink alcohol by choice. Having been out to a lot of Christmas parties lately I have found people to be rather mean about me not wanting to drink. I don't have soft drinks either because of the sugar and I don't really like them. Is there anyone else who finds themselves in these situations? What do you do?
drink spirits with diet soda drinks then
I used to be only a cider drinker and I ramped up a beer belly,
but as soon as I switched over to spirits it eventually went away
Reply 2
Original post by sleepysnooze
drink spirits with diet soda drinks then
I used to be only a cider drinker and I ramped up a beer belly,
but as soon as I switched over to spirits it eventually went away

Thanks, but I don't think I should have to have a drink in my hand just to 'fit in'. People should respect those that don't want to drink when their out.
Original post by MB1904
Thanks, but I don't think I should have to have a drink in my hand just to 'fit in'. People should respect those that don't want to drink when their out.

I thought you said you said you didn't drink because of health reasons?
Reply 4
I thought you said you said you didn't drink because of health reasons?

I choose not to because I am into healthy eating/fitness.
Reply 5
Original post by MB1904

There is your answer. What else do you want us to say?
Tell them you do not want to drink and that's it. And just don't pay attention to them mocking you or whatever
Reply 6
Original post by Nottie
There is your answer. What else do you want us to say?
Tell them you do not want to drink and that's it. And just don't pay attention to them mocking you or whatever

I personally don't think it's that simple. I have had people then buy me drinks because I won't drink and then you feel obligated to drink them and very easy to say don't say attention!
Original post by MB1904
I personally don't think it's that simple. I have had people then buy me drinks because I won't drink and then you feel obligated to drink them and very easy to say don't say attention!

Then those people aren't worth your time, friends have always respected my choice not to drink but if they didn't then they wouldn't be a friend anymore :tongue:
I recommend you find better people to party and be friends with. Anyone who tries to force you into drinking when you don't want to isn't someone you want to hang out with anyway, surely.
Reply 9
take a bottle of ciroc, put it into a jug, wash the bottle, take water and pretend you are. No questions asked

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can drink as as a part of a healthy lifestyle. However if you don't want to drink - don't, you're your own person, just because you don't drink shouldn't influence anyone and if you find people taking the piss, you can always not go out to bars etc or you can find something else to do or a different group of friends. Failing that sip your soft drinks with pride
Nobody doesn't respect you for not drinking, it's all in your mind. Order a J2O like a bigboy.
Original post by MB1904
I choose not to because I am into healthy eating/fitness.

but spirits aren't that bad?
Sparkling (or still) water with lime will get you through a long evening. If somebody want to know what's up, there are a lot of deflecting things you can say that won't sound like irrevocable policy statements. E.g., you could be fighting allergies, required to drive later that night, exhausted from studying, needing to keep your wits so you can make time with someone cute, etc.
Original post by MB1904

Yeah people can be odd about drinking... I think drinkers seem to feel that you're going to have a bad time/ruin their night if you aren't drunk, but if yo're used to not drinking then you know that you can have plenty of fun without alcohol. I think people are worse when you drink occasionally like me as they don't have the 'X doesn't drink' rule but can't seem to get their head around 'I just don't want to tonight'/'I have a big training session in the morning'. If someone buys you a drink and you don't drink it it may feel rude btu I doubt they will do it again! I think you just have to think of it as they're being rude so you can be a bit rude in your response (by continueing to refuse)

but spirits aren't that bad?

alcohol really isn't good for you, regardless of what you drink, and getting hammered will affect your workout for a few days-a week afterwards ... you might gain elss weight with spirits but they're still not healthy

Quick Reply

Latest