The Student Room Group

I want to study Medicine from Law?

I need help how do i do this?
Reply 1
Original post by navv-e
I need help how do i do this?

Graduate Entry Medicine. Get a decent law degree, good work experience and hope for the best :smile:
Reply 2
Will my Law degree get in the way if i want to start a clean slate? Using only my GCSE'S and A-Levels?
Reply 3
Original post by navv-e
Will my Law degree get in the way if i want to start a clean slate? Using only my GCSE'S and A-Levels?

read about graduate entry medicine. These things are quite easy to research, I gave you an idea now go look into it, I won't do all the work for you
Reply 4
Original post by navv-e

You could apply for Foundation Medicine (6yr course) (assuming your A-Levels are in Humanities subjects & you fulfil contextual criteria ie. low income background, care-leaver, etc.), or you could take Chemistry and two other A-Levels (most people do Biology and then something else) and apply for the 5yr undergraduate courses in the same way you applied for you law degree.
Difficulty with this is you will need to fund the tuition fees yourself. You should get maintenance loans though.

Graduate-entry Medicine will be the most cost effective route for you.
Reply 5
Original post by Nottie
read about graduate entry medicine. These things are quite easy to research, I gave you an idea now go look into it, I won't do all the work for you

What does graduate entry medicine mean?
Reply 6
Original post by Fleuves
You could apply for Foundation Medicine (6yr course) (assuming your A-Levels are in Humanities subjects & you fulfil contextual criteria ie. low income background, care-leaver, etc.), or you could take Chemistry and two other A-Levels (most people do Biology and then something else) and apply for the 5yr undergraduate courses in the same way you applied for you law degree.
Difficulty with this is you will need to fund the tuition fees yourself. You should get maintenance loans though.

Graduate-entry Medicine will be the most cost effective route for you.

You forgot that they also consider your GCSE's Which typically need to be around 6 A's. I have the average with nothing below a C. But i have to look in to the abyss and resit because i do not have 6 or more A's in GCSE either. I need a job but to get a job i have a background in law. So the best thing is to start with a clean slate as if i got no experience and aim for the retail jobs. That should help me pay the fees and stop being a slob.
Original post by navv-e
What does graduate entry medicine mean?

Click here to read more on Graduate Entry Medicine.
Reply 8
Original post by navv-e
You forgot that they also consider your GCSE's Which typically need to be around 6 A's. I have the average with nothing below a C. But i have to look in to the abyss and resit because i do not have 6 or more A's in GCSE either. I need a job but to get a job i have a background in law. So the best thing is to start with a clean slate as if i got no experience and aim for the retail jobs. That should help me pay the fees and stop being a slob.

Foundation courses are your best bet then, they don't look at GCSEs so much.

You could also consider re-sitting the GCSEs (I'd do Maths, English, Triple Science and maybe a foreign language. Aiming for A*s) then taking an Access to HE Diploma in Medicine (you might have to relocate. They only offer this course in a handful of colleges, put it into Google) which serve as an alternative to A-Levels and are accepted by around 70% of medical schools. This should take you 2yrs to achieve (GCSEs in yr1, Access in yr2). This would be an idea if you apply for the 5yr courses.

Consider a role in healthcare - the NHS do recruit for band 2 healthcare roles like healthcare assistants or trainee phlebotomists and you can sometimes get your foot in the door without prior experience. Google NHS Jobs. Pays about the same as retail work and much more relevant, it will help you see if working in healthcare is definitely for you, too.

I'll be honest, covering 9k tuition per year for 5 or 6yrs on a low wage won't be easy. You may need to consider private finance, what's your credit score like? Maybe work on developing that so you can apply for a bank loan when the time comes.

I saw on another thread that you didn't get the best classification on your degree. I hate to be a dream-crusher, but Graduate Entry is so competitive, most people have 1sts or 2:1s. So either undergraduate would be best, OR you could take a Masters to replace your Bachelors, which it will do if you get a Distinction. Given your Bachelors and future aspirations it would make sense for you to do this in Medical Law. Then apply for GEM.

It's not an easy task ahead of you, but you are young, life is long if you are careful and lucky, it's not too late to start over, but there are a lot of obstacles in your way. Good luck.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
If i was to do the 5 year course what would your advice be? Remember that i should be able to apply for both GEM and Undergraduate provided i get the results in GCSE and A-Level.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest