ForensicToxFox
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
What is the spatial difference of glycosylation of proteins?

Thanks in advance
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Glycosylation of proteins, as you might know, is the attachment to a protein of a carbohydrate moiety, giving rise to a glycoprotein (in which the main part is the protein and the carbohydrate just an addition) unlike a proteoglycan [which makes up the cell wall of bacteria] (in which the main part is the carbohydrate with a small protein attached); this glycosylation occurs in the Golgi apparatus.

Spatial difference of this process (the addition of a carbohydrate part to a protein) refers to the location on the protein onto which the carbohydrate gets linked = in other words, generally, which particular amino acid in the protein is the binding site for the carbohydrate, and specifically whether it is attached by condensation (with the release of a water molecule) of a hydroxyl group of the carbohydrate OR by esterification of an alcohol group of the carbohydrate (-OH) with an acidic (=COOH) group of an acidic amino acid residue (an amino acid with more than one -COOH group e.g. aspartic acid), etc.

This type of difference will determine the physical and chemical properties of the glycoprotein so generated i.e.

PHYSICAL: its solubility, density, charge might determine its capacity to traverse various parts of the cell.

CHEMICAL: its ability to react with other cell components or to be decomposed.

These properties will determine its fate and functions.

Hope this helps.

Mukesh (A Level Biology Tutor + ex-medic)
ForensicToxFox
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you for your response.You helped me a lot!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.56%
I'm not sure (56)
4.63%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (588)
48.64%

Watched Threads