The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't call her a biatch, but I think she is greaty overrated. She increased awareness of poverty etc. but I don't think it justifies all the hype about her.
Reply 2
Because Iraq is thousands of miles away and the dead are unknown statistics. Diana was a celebrity who lived close to the people who care about her.
UniOfLife
Because Iraq is thousands of miles away and the dead are unknown statistics. Diana was a celebrity who lived close to the people who care about her.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...
Reply 4
welcome_to_the_jungle
I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

That's up to you, but that is the reality. Sorry.
Yeah she is rather overated. Yes people mourn her etc, but she doesn't need to be in the media every five minutes.
As much as I don't care about Diana, it's not accurate to say she's in the media every five minutes.
Reply 7
PlaystationStudies
As much as I don't care about Diana, it's not accurate to say she's in the media every five minutes.

Indeed. I hear about the Iraq war more than i hear about her.
welcome_to_the_jungle
Why do people care? Hundreds of ppl die in iraq each week and all we hear about is that *****

It's probably worth snowcloning your statement to make a point: "1 million people die in the world every day, and all we hear is about are the deaths Iraq". This suggests something similar to the point you make: people for some reason find the deaths of people in Iraq more interesting than the death of Ethel, 28 Patrick Street.

That the deaths of some people are given much more news coverage than others doesn't necessarily suggest that people cared more about the life of one person over another, but it is a reflection of whose death has a greater political impact.
I just stay away from the Express and it's much less of a problem. :biggrin:
PlaystationStudies

well maybe that was an exaggeration :p:

today she was in the news every five minutes, at least when I watched GMTV this morning! :wink:
Reply 11
PlaystationStudies

Oh it is. It's annoyingly accurate.
Reply 12
Sad but true.
Reply 13
Then it should be the Media that you are complaining about. You shouldn't brand a dead woman a "bitch" simply because the media take a ridiculous amount of interest in her.
Reply 14
LPK
Then it should be the Media that you are complaining about. You shouldn't brand a dead woman a "bitch" simply because the media take a ridiculous amount of interest in her.

exactly ;yes;

why do you say shes a bitch anyway :s-smilie:
PlaystationStudies
That the deaths of some people are given much more news coverage than others doesn't necessarily suggest that people cared more about the life of one person over another, but it is a reflection of whose death has a greater political impact.

I defy anyone to find a significant political impact in the death of Princess Diana, considering the fact that the Royal Family are no more than figureheads and have significance only historically and not politically. The reason Princess Diana's death received more coverage was a combination of the fact that she was well known and died suddenly whilst still fairly young.

I don't think it's wise to fall into the trap of calling her a bad person just because she's overrated; I've not seen evidence of her doing much wrong, even if I do think she didn't do anything particularly noteworthy. It is, of course, the media (and the millions of people out there prepared to lavish disproportionate amounts of grief upon someone they did not know) who are to blame if she is given excessive news coverage even so long after she is dead.
Reply 16
Chumbaniya
I defy anyone to find a significant political impact in the death of Princess Diana, considering the fact that the Royal Family are no more than figureheads and have significance only historically and not politically. The reason Princess Diana's death received more coverage was a combination of the fact that she was well known and died suddenly whilst still fairly young.

...and was incredibly photogenic.
Avogadro6.022*10^23
...and was incredibly photogenic.

Fair enough, but that ties in with my point that her death was not afforded so much coverage because it was politically important.
Reply 18
Yeah, I was agreeing with you. Just sorta adding to your point. :smile:
Reply 19
LPK

Exactly, she never even liked the media anyway she did her best to avoid it. If she knew that the media was still on her she would hate it more than anyone.

Latest

Trending

Trending