Turn on thread page Beta

Feta cheese - yay or nay? watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you like?

And can anyone tell me whether its healthy or not?Is it quite low in fat?

I like it on me bagels.

ReputationRep:
    It's cheese, so it's not really going to be low fat is it

http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/item/1019.html

ReputationRep:
    I don't like it myself.

ReputationRep:
    There's only about 33 calories in a cubic inch.Thats about how much I usually cut.

ReputationRep:
    A cubic inch is quite a big lump, I'm sure there must be more calories than 33 in it ... (I'm going off my 14 calories to a Smartie rule here lol). Also it's quite high in salt although you can reduce this a little if you soak it in a bit of milk for a while before you eat it.

ReputationRep:
    i love feta cheese, especially in salads with balsamic vinegar, scrummy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainygal)
    i love feta cheese, especially in salads with balsamic vinegar, scrummy!
    Agreed! MMmm :p:

ReputationRep:
    It works well in cooking

ReputationRep:
    Yay
    In salad in little cubes

ReputationRep:
    Rocket, Feta, Peppers, and Mango Chutney Dressing - beautiful!

ReputationRep:
    nay

it's absolutely gross imo

ReputationRep:
    you can buy low fat "salad cheese" in sainsburys, somerfield and tesco, which is like feta but low fat (idk why they arent allowed to label it "feta") - these have about 110-160 cal/100g

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellabella)
    you can buy low fat "salad cheese" in sainsburys, somerfield and tesco, which is like feta but low fat (idk why they arent allowed to label it "feta") - these have about 110-160 cal/100g
    I think that feta is one of those 'area protected' things, like champagne, in that it must come from a certain place to be called 'feta' - that's why a lot of places call it a 'greek style salad cheese' etc, and most of the cheap stuff comes from Denmark anyway.

Also, there are rules about what you can actually call just 'cheese'. Under EU law, for anything to be called 'cheese' it must contain 33% fat. That's why technically there's no such thing as a 'low-fat' cheese - a low fat food must legally have less than 4g of fat per 100g, and 'cheese' must have 33g fat per 100g. That's why stuff that you *think* is 'cheese', like dairylea or cheesestrings, will actually say on them somewere 'processed cheese', or 'cheese food', or 'cheese flavoured dairy product', and why there are different names and rules for 'soft cheese', 'cream cheese' etc.

I knew my certificate in cheese would come in handy one day lol ...

ReputationRep:
    I think feta is lower in fat than other cheeses. Personally I love a little bit mixed in with some salad.

ReputationRep:
    I once had feta cheese that was so very low in salt and so very good! I really wonder how my friend's mum did it.. :s

ReputationRep:
    Yay! Mum used to put fairly thin slices on slices of aubergine and a cherry tomato on top and then roast for about 15 minutes...mmmm.

it's yummy, the low fat salad version is VERY good :^_^: and usually less salt

ReputationRep:
    I love feta. However do not be duped into thinking that Apeltina is feta in any way, shape or form. It's foul, chalky and has none of the lovely feta flavour. I can failry compare it to eating polystyrene. Get thee to the cheese counter and get some Bulgarian!! That is the BEST.

ReputationRep:
    I love it.

I make a really nice Greek salad with feta, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, (I would also put olives in if my mum didn't hate them), dressed with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

ReputationRep:
    I think it's pretty nice but not the sorta cheese you can eat on its own. I dunno where the rumours that I tastes like *** came from. Hahaha.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.