Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Which IB Subjects Should I Choose

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I need to choose my IB Subjects soon and I'm in sort of a pickle here. I intend to either study (for undergrad):

Physics
    Mathematics
    Engineering

I am open to studying both in the US and UK. I am 100% going to be taking Mathematics HL and Physics HL since i love these subjects and I'm going to be needing them. I was looking at some requirements from many different unis which stated that they need Chemistry (HL/SL). The problem is, i'm not a huge fan of Chemistry. In fact, it's one of my least favorite subject.

BTW, I will be taking 4 HLs, but will have the option to drop down if it ends up being too much to cope with (it's basically testing). I have reasons which will divert the purpose of the discussion (in short, my teachers recommended me to do so).

So can i take:

Mathematics HL
    Physics HL
    Computer Science HL
    Economics HL
    English SL
    French SL

And still get into mathematics in Oxbridge (UK) or MIT (US), for example?

Or will I have to take:

Mathematics HL
    Physics HL
    Chemistry HL
    Computer Science HL / Economics HL
    English SL
    French SL

Sorry this might be very vague, but I hope someone can help!

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    I will try and do my best to help you.

First of all I would like to ask, which uni course says you need Chemistry? Is it Engineering?

My advice is don't take Chemistry as a higher if you don't enjoy it. It will be harder for you and a lot of hard work. It is better to take a higher that you might enjoy

With regards to the four highers, i feel it is best to just do three, so pick between computer science and economics (however if you enjoy both as a higher, go for four highers!)

I hope this hasn't confused you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To my knowledge, there are no physics or mathematics courses which require chemistry at any level. Engineering only requires it for chemical engineering courses. Maths and physics are both tough - choose the subjects you have/think you will enjoy the most for your other highers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaunie3)
    I will try and do my best to help you.

First of all I would like to ask, which uni course says you need Chemistry? Is it Engineering?

My advice is don't take Chemistry as a higher if you don't enjoy it. It will be harder for you and a lot of hard work. It is better to take a higher that you might enjoy

With regards to the four highers, i feel it is best to just do three, so pick between computer science and economics (however if you enjoy both as a higher, go for four highers!)

I hope this hasn't confused you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey Shaunie3!

Thanks for your reply!

I was under the assumption that if I wanted to take Aeronautical Engineering, then I would require chemistry. Although it's not a requirement, I would have liked to skip the first year (foundation). I might opt to take Chemistry as an SL, and then decide whether to take Economics or Computer Science as an HL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    To my knowledge, there are no physics or mathematics courses which require chemistry at any level. Engineering only requires it for chemical engineering courses. Maths and physics are both tough - choose the subjects you have/think you will enjoy the most for your other highers.
    Hey tory88!

Thanks for your reply!

I honestly love Mathematics and Physics (and that's why I'm taking it)! I love Computer Science as well, but I don't think any university will require it. I love Economics as well, but it's only a required subject if I want to pursue something under the business or finance (which for now, I don't).

So now the question really is between Computer Science, Economics, and Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tier1)
    Hey tory88!

Thanks for your reply!

I honestly love Mathematics and Physics (and that's why I'm taking it)! I love Computer Science as well, but I don't think any university will require it. I love Economics as well, but it's only a required subject if I want to pursue something under the business or finance (which for now, I don't).

So now the question really is between Computer Science, Economics, and Chemistry.
    If you enjoy computer science and economics, go with those. Physics, maths and any of your other subjects are an excellent set of highers for a career in the mathematical sciences.

Just to reference a comment you made above, I've never known any student of mine be required to offer chemistry for aeronautical engineering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    If you enjoy computer science and economics, go with those. Physics, maths and any of your other subjects are an excellent set of highers for a career in the mathematical sciences.

Just to reference a comment you made above, I've never known any student of mine be required to offer chemistry for aeronautical engineering.
    I agree with this

Poll
How are you feeling about your exams so far?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.