Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, has anyone done Full A levels for Further Maths and Maths in one year? Is it possible to do that in one year and get an A for both???

ReputationRep:
    If that's all you're doing, it should be possible if you're (a) good at Maths, and (b) like it!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it's possible, but you'd have little time for much else really. 12 modules in one year is a lot. Considering most people do 3 modules per year for other subjects, doing 12 is pretty hefty. So yes, it is possible, but don't plan on doing any other subjects as it will take up almost all of your time.

ReputationRep:
    If you're good it's possible. What are your reasons behind doing it?

ReputationRep:
    If you only do maths and further maths.

Otherwise, don't count on getting As - - especially in Further Maths.

......unless you are some sort of prodigy.

ReputationRep:
    i know people whove done 8 or 9 modules in a year but i think 12 is pushing it. They had the 'base' of alevel pure matbs already ie. c1 to c4 already. I think to do maths and fmaths in one year regardless of whether you do other subjects (and doing other subjects will make it even harder) is very very tough.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing maths A2 and F.Maths A level in a year, as well as resitting at least one of my AS modules, so thats 10 to start with. For me it fills 3 of my subject blocks at college, so there really isn't much room for other stuff!

And depending on if you do edexcel or AQA you will have to do the modules in a certain order (edexcel you need C1-4 before doing the FP modules, AQA doesnt matter apparently)

ReputationRep:
    Ah...

I'm planning on doing, Maths, Further Maths and Physics...
    And of course, AS chemistry resit...but that just one module in January and the other in June...

Heres the thing, I have almost done 70% of C3 and 30% of C4 during the holidays on my own...so it wont be too much work...

January 2008:
    C2 (resit)
    C3
    C4
    M2
    FP1
    FP2 (if not then in June)
    CHM2 (resit)
    PHY2
    PHY4

June 2008:
    CHM3 (resit)
    M3
    S1
    D1
    and one more module for maths
    PHY3 (resit)
    PHY5
    PHY6

now, I am re-sitting just because of plain stupidity coz i didn't take last year too seriously. but eh..the resits wont be much trouble...and the Mechanics, Stats and Core modules wont be much trouble either...

My biggest worry is, if further maths completely different..i find Core maths simple once i get the concepts and the practice....how much different is Further Maths :|, and what the hell is Decision maths about?

edit: even if i took A2 chemistry, instead of Further maths, it would be the around the same amount of modules to be done at the end of the year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nashir)
    Ah...

I'm planning on doing, Maths, Further Maths and Physics...
    And of course, AS chemistry resit...but that just one module in January and the other in June...

Heres the thing, I have almost done 70% of C3 and 30% of C4 during the holidays on my own...so it wont be too much work...

January 2008:
    C2 (resit)
    C3
    C4
    M2
    FP1
    FP2 (if not then in June)
    CHM2 (resit)
    PHY2
    PHY4

June 2008:
    CHM3 (resit)
    M3
    S1
    D1
    and one more module for maths
    PHY3 (resit)
    PHY5
    PHY6

now, I am re-sitting just because of plain stupidity coz i didn't take last year too seriously. but eh..the resits wont be much trouble...and the Mechanics, Stats and Core modules wont be much trouble either...

My biggest worry is, if further maths completely different..i find Core maths simple once i get the concepts and the practice....how much different is Further Maths :|, and what the hell is Decision maths about?

edit: even if i took A2 chemistry, instead of Further maths, it would be the around the same amount of modules to be done at the end of the year
    If you took A2 chem instead, it would a lot less. If you took FM, you'd have to do 6 modules from scratch. On the other side of the coin with chem, you'll be doing 5 modules including 2 resists. That's far easier. It's not as bad as I initially thought since you said you've already started teaching yourself C3 and C4 and it looks like you'll be doing 10 modules (1 resit) instead of 12. Still though, it would take a lot of effort. My college has a policy where you can only do AS FM in your second year if you only did AS maths in your first. It would just be too much otherwise.
    Decision maths is pretty simple. It's just memorizing a few algorithms and then implementing them in the exam. Easier than C1 even in my opinion. And I can't comment on the difficulty of FM since I haven't done it yet but it's obvious that it builds off of C1-C4 so you'd need to have a good foundation in those before you can even attempt FM.

ReputationRep:
    nice explanatory answer...

but the problem here is that i "LOVE" maths, but i abso-bloody-lutely HATE chemistry!!!, thats why i wanna drop chemistry and do further maths...:p:
    but does anyone know if not having chemistry reduces chances of admission in US and Canadian Universities in Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering?

Has anyone done Decision 2? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nashir)
    nice explanatory answer...

but the problem here is that i "LOVE" maths, but i abso-bloody-lutely HATE chemistry!!!, thats why i wanna drop chemistry and do further maths...:p:
    but does anyone know if not having chemistry reduces chances of admission in US and Canadian Universities in Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering?

Has anyone done Decision 2? :rolleyes:
    Well, a love for the subject certainly helps. If you think you can handle the work, then go for it. But you'd really have to work your arse off this time!
    I've done D1+D2 and D2 is pretty similar. More of the same stuff and the same level of difficulty. If you can get an A in D1, you'll get an A in D2 easily.

ReputationRep:
    heh..thnx mate...might as well do Decision Maths 1 AND 2 if i find it easy...

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.