Watch
This discussion is closed.
fifi53
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
hey, dunno if anyone can help... but,
is anyone planning on applying for disability funding from the governemnt and HASN'T applyed yet? just wondered if the fact that it is getting a bit late in the day might affect my chances of getting stuff. i have requested the form (when i applied for my loan) but still got to recieve it, fill it out, do assesments and stuff. how long does the process take?
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hmm..don't think i was assessed until after results day, so i knew for sure where i'd be going.

(but then i didn't start uni till October & didn't have any 'essential' equipment really)

give your LEA a call & ask if you're concerned!
Liverbird
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
The next form you will get from the LEA is a short consent form which you have to sign and send back with medical evidence of your disability. When I did this with my LEA it took three weeks before I got a letter back from them approving me to receive DSA funding and telling me I needed to book a needs assessment at an Access Centre. (You can't book an assessment til you have received this approval letter from the LEA). I booked my assessment two weeks ago and got an appointment for this Wednesday. Once I've had the assessment the Access Centre will send a report to the LEA saying what equipment I can have and what it will cost, and the LEA then has to approve that and buy stuff for me/give me money to buy it myself, not sure which.

I have an unconditional offer, but was told by my Uni that I needed to apply ASAP stand a chance of getting my equipment in time for the start of my course, so god knows what happens to those having assessments after Results Day, sorry I can't help much there.

However late you apply if you need the equipment you will get it, it's just a matter of when and it may not be in time for the start of your course.
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Liverbird)
I have an unconditional offer, but was told by my Uni that I needed to apply ASAP stand a chance of getting my equipment in time for the start of my course, so god knows what happens to those having assessments after Results Day, sorry I can't help much there.
well..i survived..i made it through..somehow..it was tough.

sorry! hmm, well, i didn't get reimbursment of my PC or some equipment (that i haven't actually used yet) till midway through my first term.

but, if it's that essential then surely most people will have had it for A levels already..? or, often unis can loan you stuff on a short term basis.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (40)
20.83%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (46)
23.96%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (35)
18.23%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (41)
21.35%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (16)
8.33%
I haven't started researching yet (14)
7.29%

Watched Threads