Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey, dunno if anyone can help... but,
    is anyone planning on applying for disability funding from the governemnt and HASN'T applyed yet? just wondered if the fact that it is getting a bit late in the day might affect my chances of getting stuff. i have requested the form (when i applied for my loan) but still got to recieve it, fill it out, do assesments and stuff. how long does the process take?

ReputationRep:
    hmm..don't think i was assessed until after results day, so i knew for sure where i'd be going.

(but then i didn't start uni till October & didn't have any 'essential' equipment really)

give your LEA a call & ask if you're concerned!

ReputationRep:
    The next form you will get from the LEA is a short consent form which you have to sign and send back with medical evidence of your disability. When I did this with my LEA it took three weeks before I got a letter back from them approving me to receive DSA funding and telling me I needed to book a needs assessment at an Access Centre. (You can't book an assessment til you have received this approval letter from the LEA). I booked my assessment two weeks ago and got an appointment for this Wednesday. Once I've had the assessment the Access Centre will send a report to the LEA saying what equipment I can have and what it will cost, and the LEA then has to approve that and buy stuff for me/give me money to buy it myself, not sure which.

I have an unconditional offer, but was told by my Uni that I needed to apply ASAP stand a chance of getting my equipment in time for the start of my course, so god knows what happens to those having assessments after Results Day, sorry I can't help much there.

However late you apply if you need the equipment you will get it, it's just a matter of when and it may not be in time for the start of your course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liverbird)
    I have an unconditional offer, but was told by my Uni that I needed to apply ASAP stand a chance of getting my equipment in time for the start of my course, so god knows what happens to those having assessments after Results Day, sorry I can't help much there.
    well..i survived..i made it through..somehow..it was tough.

sorry! hmm, well, i didn't get reimbursment of my PC or some equipment (that i haven't actually used yet) till midway through my first term.

but, if it's that essential then surely most people will have had it for A levels already..? or, often unis can loan you stuff on a short term basis.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.