The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan - household income?

Hi all

When I have been using the calculator on the gov.uk site I notice it asks for your parents or partners gross household income.

I don't live with either of my parents and live with some elderly family friends who have an income of around 30k through various pensions etc.

Do I need to declare this as part of my application or not, considering they are neither my parents or in a position to otherwise support me during my studies?

Thankyou
Original post by what1995
Hi all

When I have been using the calculator on the gov.uk site I notice it asks for your parents or partners gross household income.

I don't live with either of my parents and live with some elderly family friends who have an income of around 30k through various pensions etc.

Do I need to declare this as part of my application or not, considering they are neither my parents or in a position to otherwise support me during my studies?

Thankyou

Hi,

If you are under 25 then we still class you as been dependent on your parents. If you do not have contact with them we require evidence from this or if you have been self supporting for 3 years before the start of your course. We would not take into account the income of the elderly couple you live with.

Thanks.
Reply 2
Original post by Erin SFE
Hi,

If you are under 25 then we still class you as been dependent on your parents. If you do not have contact with them we require evidence from this or if you have been self supporting for 3 years before the start of your course. We would not take into account the income of the elderly couple you live with.

Thanks.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

I have been working for the majority of the 3+ years since I left college the first time and by the time I start my access course this will be 4, plus I aim to do part time work/live off savings I have while I do that course so I will have been 'self supporting' for around 5 years by that point.

What evidence if any is required for this or will proof of employment suffice?

Thankyou
Original post by what1995
Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

I have been working for the majority of the 3+ years since I left college the first time and by the time I start my access course this will be 4, plus I aim to do part time work/live off savings I have while I do that course so I will have been 'self supporting' for around 5 years by that point.

What evidence if any is required for this or will proof of employment suffice?

Thankyou

Hi,

The evidence would be the last 3 years p60s to show your income for the full year, we can then award you independent status for the duration of your course if income is an acceptable level.

Thanks.
Reply 4
Original post by Erin SFE
Hi,

The evidence would be the last 3 years p60s to show your income for the full year, we can then award you independent status for the duration of your course if income is an acceptable level.

Thanks.

Hi thanks again for the reply.

Income has been between 12k and 15k per year though I imagine going to part time hours while doing the access course may bring this to 10k best case and indefinetely lower worst case. Currently I am putting part of my salary aside to help during this time.

Is this likely to affect eligibility? Do you have a benchmark salary figure at which point an individual is considered independent?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending