Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have been told that the RAF recruit 500 pilots a year. When I was at RAF alley the other week, a pilot told me that there was only four people on his course. Every new course comes every three months. If this is the case then only 16 fast jet crew go through a year excluding failures.

I have also been told that 50% of all pilots have the cappability to go on to the FJ side of flying in the RAF. That makes 32 a year. This cant be coreect can it?

Any cvorrections or final figures on pilots commissions and applications would be much appreciated.

Dave

ReputationRep:
    Try 150 or so, a third of which go to each stream. Google '22 training group' and all is revealed.

Incidentally, I understand there are courses at Valley more frequently than that, as well.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, *do not* play the numbers game. It changes EVERY year (recruiting figures) and all the time (streaming figures). Just aim to have a good application and to do well at OASC - one step at a time!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I cant see where it states the numbers:confused:

ReputationRep:
    It won't. Just gives you an idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave_perry)
    I have been told that the RAF recruit 500 pilots a year. When I was at RAF alley the other week, a pilot told me that there was only four people on his course. Every new course comes every three months. If this is the case then only 16 fast jet crew go through a year excluding failures.

I have also been told that 50% of all pilots have the cappability to go on to the FJ side of flying in the RAF. That makes 32 a year. This cant be coreect can it?

Any cvorrections or final figures on pilots commissions and applications would be much appreciated.

Dave
    The RAF recruits what is needed, not the same number each year. They are desperate for pilots at the moment as there aren't enough people to meet their high requirements, thats not to say they are going to drop the standards as that would be just stupid
    Steve

ReputationRep:
    Ha ha, we dont even have that many servicable aircraft.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Yes 'we' do.

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiosity, how do you know we have more than 150 "Servicable " aircraft?

ReputationRep:
    She'll know

Count the number of Tucanos we have for starters.... that's a fair few.

ReputationRep:
    Not to mention the Tutors at every UAS, EFT and other malarky. Then we have the carriers and all the aircraft on those.

ReputationRep:
    And then the Firefly fleet...

ReputationRep:
    and the Squirrel/ Griffin "swarm" (running out of ideas for appropriate collective nouns)

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, i see where you bump your numbers up from. I think there might be a few gliders kicking around on an AEF flight somewhere not doing a deal.

So what will you be saying at OASC interviews when they ask about the current operational capabilities of front line squadrons, overstrech from the multitude of theaters we operate in and the possible shortfalling during the integration of the typhoon to front line duties?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Blasted)
    Out of curiosity, how do you know we have more than 150 "Servicable " aircraft?
    We have 64 Tucanos, 30 Harriers, 60 odd Hawks, 80 odd Tonkas....

and I wasn't counting any AEF/EFT aircraft.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blasted)
    Ahh, i see where you bump your numbers up from. I think there might be a few gliders kicking around on an AEF flight somewhere not doing a deal.

So what will you be saying at OASC interviews when they ask about the current operational capabilities of front line squadrons, overstrech from the multitude of theaters we operate in and the possible shortfalling during the integration of the typhoon to front line duties?
    The point isn't what we'll be saying but more what you will. The interview is about showing you've done your research and formed defendable opinions from that research.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 4, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.