Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my name is Michal and I am currently studying in my third year BA International Tourism Management. I am also a course ambassador for Tourism Management.

I am available to answer any questions you have about the Middlesex Tourism courses or the University life in general from a student’s perspective!

So please don’t hesitate to ask any questions and I look forward to helping you.

Michal
    Middlesex Course Ambassador
    Tourism Management

ReputationRep:
    Here's a few FAQ's that may interest you if are planning to study Tourism:

What does a timetable generally look like?
    Your timetable will include a lecture and seminar for each module (you will study 4 modules). These classes will be shown clearly in your online timetable. You will get the chance to change your seminars timetable within the first two weeks of uni. You should usually have classes around three or four days per week.

Can I do a placement?
    Yes, you can!
    - You can take on a placement of a full year in between your second and third year, extending your degree to 4 years.
    - You can work both summers i.e. between year 1 and 2, and year 2 and 3.
    - You can do a part time internship as an optional module during your second year at University.

Do I get the opportunity to study abroad?
    Yes, you will have the opportunity to study abroad. You can choose to participate in an Erasmus programme and go to study for a semester or a year to one of the many Universities in Europe which are partners with Middlesex University. You can choose to study a year also on Middlesex campus in Dubai. If you are doing International Tourism Management with Spanish during your third year you will study in Spain and then come back to finish your degree at Middlesex.

Does the teaching happen in the big classes?

Lectures usually happen in the big classes. But, during seminars you should not have more than 30students. Sometimes you will have just 10/15 in the group which means that your contact with the tutor will be easier.

Will I have many exams?

During your first year you won’t have any exam. During the second and third year it depends on the module and what optional modules you choose. You should not have more than three exams during one year. Some modules are 100% coursework which means you will have a lot of essays, reports and presentations to do. You can read about optional modules assessment criteria before you make a choice.

Will I have University every day?

It is unlikely, but if you do during first two weeks of Uni you can adjust your timetable to your preferences. You should have around three or four days at Uni, in some cases even two are possible.

Will I have to spend lots of money on books?

You will have an online access to your core textbooks for or modules. You will have also an online access to many books and journal articles via MyUnihub which will be your online profile during your studies where you can find all relevant information related to your course. If you prefer hardcopies you can find many relevant books and journals at the library. There is one more brilliant thing, you can enjoy free printing at the library! Personally speaking, I haven’t spent a pound on any book during my stay at Middlesex and I have had access to all relevant academic sources that I need.

Any top tips I should know?

Do not be too stressed at the beginning. Enjoy your time during freshers week to meet a lot of amazing friends and if you can join some society. Personally I recommend joining a sports team where you will meet a lot of amazing people and you will be able to compete for your University.

What are lectures like?

They are usually 1hour long and you will learn from your lecturer a lot of relevant concepts and theories. You will have the slides from your lectures available also online.

What are the seminars like?

They are more student active. They are usually 1.5h long and you will have a lot of seminar activities where you need to participate with your colleagues to do the seminar tasks. There will be also much more active discussion between students and tutor than during lectures.

What support is there for me if I fall behind in my studies?

In terms of Academic work, you can always email your lecturer if you struggle or contact the LET (Learning Enhancement Team) team or the SLA (Student Learning Assistant).

How is the accommodation at Middlesex University?

You can choose to live in one of the University halls of residence or choose the private accommodation. During your first year, you should get a place in halls. I lived during my first year at Ivy Hall and it was a good time, however, Ivy Hall is 20minutes away from University. The closest one is an Usher Hall. You have also Platt Hall and new Unite Halls at Wembley.

Are there any fieldtrips?

During your first year you will have a fieldtrip to Hastings. During the second year you will have a week-long overseas trip (most likely to Spain or Greece). From some optional modules you will have fieldtrips too.

If you have any more questions please do not hesitate to ask me.

Michal
    Tourism Course Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone!

This week was quite calm at University. I got feedback for the group presentation which will be useful for the next assessment which will be to create a marketing poster for a VisitLondon company. I did not have any tennis coaching hours this week, so I spent some time relaxing a bit and doing research for my dissertation. I borrowed books and printed journal articles for my Heathrow dissertation to do a lot of reading during the Christmas Break. Last week before Christmas usually is not very busy, although some courses have a lot of deadlines.

From not academic news during Christmas I am planning to spend a lot of time with my family and friends back home and I am sure a lot of you will do the same. I hope all of you will have a great break and start 2017 with the new energy. Unfortunately, I can’t forget to do a lot of reading for my dissertation before next term starts. Another thing I have planned during the break is a ski trip to Italy for few days. I am so excited about this. I hope all of you feel already the Christmas atmosphere and will enjoy holidays a lot.

Have a lovely Christmas!

Michal
    Middlesex University

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!
    Finally some time off from University. I hope everyone is enjoying Christmas. I am currently skiing with my parents in Italy. It is a great way to find more energy for the New Year. Despite Christmas time I am still working during evenings on my dissertation. I focus on reading journal articles related to my dissertation topic and taking notes. I have done also a summative assessment for the Hospitality and Tourism Marketing module which was to evaluate a facebook page of three different companies. I need to start working soon on my poster draft for the same module as deadline is at the beginning of January.

I hope all of you are having a lovely Christmas time with your family and friends. Unfortunately even during Christmas break most students have to study hard especially during the third year. Anyway it is really possible to find the balance between relaxing and studying during this lovely Christmas time.

Merry Christmas!

Regards,

Michal

ReputationRep:
    Hello Everyone!

There is not too much to write about this week. I was reading many journal articles for my dissertation and note some ideas for my poster project. It is quite difficult to find a relevant theory in my Heathrow dissertation topic, but after reading many articles I believe that I have a clearer idea in my mind about the direction of the dissertation. For the poster project, I need to design the marketing poster for the VisitLondon facebook page. I have researched VisitLondon facebook page and analysed also competitors. During next few days, I will try to develop my ideas to make the most creative as I can.

I hope also that everyone enjoyed the New Year’s Party and start 2017 with a new positive energy. I organised the New Year’s Party and I don’t regret it. It was a great time to meet with my polish friends who I don’t see a lot because of studying in London.

Happy New Year everyone!

Michal

ReputationRep:
    Hello Everyone!

Hope you had a good week. I was working on my draft for the poster assignment. I checked few facebook pages to find inspiration for my facebook marketing plan assignment. On Monday I have the draft deadline, so I will try to do as much as I can by Monday. I am still reading and preparing notes for my dissertation. I will soon start to plan interviews for my dissertation.

Tomorrow I am coming back to London and on Monday I will have first classes in 2017. I believe that in London I will have much more time to study because during Christmas I did not study enough for my third year workload. There are only a few months left and I will try to be as successful as I can. I start to feel that the time at University goes really quick and I feel I am not well prepared to leave my University life yet. During next few weeks I will get really busy, so you will hear more details about upcoming assignments.

Regards,

Michal Tourism CA

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have applied for International tourism management which I would love to study so badly. In my first year of level 3 I achieved Distinction, this year I am predicted to get Distinction*. Previously I achieved GCSE English but I am retaking Maths this year. I feel confident that I will pass it but my question is if there is any chance of me getting into Middlesex University without GCSE Maths?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gabi97)
    Hi,

I have applied for International tourism management which I would love to study so badly. In my first year of level 3 I achieved Distinction, this year I am predicted to get Distinction*. Previously I achieved GCSE English but I am retaking Maths this year. I feel confident that I will pass it but my question is if there is any chance of me getting into Middlesex University without GCSE Maths?

Thanks.
    Hi,

GCSE English and Maths with a minimum of Grade C are normally required. Here is the link for the International Tourism Management course page where you can find entry requirements: http://www.mdx.ac.uk/courses/undergr...ism-management
    However, I contacted also the admission team and will get back to you as soon as I will get respond about your case from them. Good luck with your exams!

Regards,

Michal Tourism CA

ReputationRep:
    Hello Everyone!

This is time to come back after the break to the University reality. Fortunately, it was not very busy week as next deadlines are in February and my tennis coach responsibilities start from next week. Therefore I had some time to do a lot of reading for my dissertation. I made a lot of notes and I feel like I finally have an idea about the dissertation aims and objectives. I will also need to organise interviews soon for my dissertation.

Apart from dissertation, I had a deadline for the draft submission of facebook marketing plan content. Draft feedback shows few areas to improve and I need to make sure that I will do it before the 1 to 1 feedback session next week. During seminars this week we had a report briefing from Policy and Planning module and a report discussion from International Marketing module. Deadlines for above assignments are all in February so next few weeks will be incredibly busy. I need to organise my time well to be successful with these assignments and at the same time leave some time for my dissertation work. Apart from that, I realised how soon I will graduate. I can’t believe that the time goes that quickly. Therefore, I need to prepare for the life after graduation and I have started to apply for the summer internship positions. I emailed my CV and cover letter to the MDX employability Hub and they offered a useful feedback. Also after summer I am planning to do the Master’s degree.

I hope you all had a good week.

All the best!

Michal Tourism CA

ReputationRep:
    Hello Everyone!

Hope you all had a good week.
    This week started with the marketing seminar where we discussed the case study report questions. It was quite helpful and gave many ideas for the report writing. Then I had an interesting lecture about the cruise industry. On Tuesday I had 1 to 1 meeting with my tutor in order to discuss my poster draft. The tutor gave useful feedback on how to improve my poster and I will be working on that in the next two weeks. Apart from classes, I spent almost every evening in the library working on my dissertation and starting the tourism policy report. In February I will have three big deadlines, so I want to start earlier to avoid disappointment in February. I will need to work very hard in next few weeks, but I will try to save some time to do the things that I enjoy like tennis, cinema or watching football.

All the best!

Michal CA Tourism

ReputationRep:
    Hello Everyone!

Hope you had a good week.

The week started with the international marketing seminar where we discussed next question for the report. It was again very beneficial and should help with our report writing. Then we had a seminar about third world countries tourism influence which was a really interesting seminar and unfortunately, we can see that tourism is not always beneficial for local communities in poor countries. On Tuesday we had an interesting lecture about Customer Relationship Management with the Middlesex alumni who works now at the Mandarin Hotel. It was a great lecture as she was talking about her experience within the hotel industry.
    In the meantime, I started to write my Vietnam case study report and I am on a good track to finish it soon. I arranged also a very important interview for my dissertation which I am really excited about.
    On Thursday I had an opportunity to meet some of you during the VIP Offer Holder Event and it was my pleasure to speak about the course and show you the campus.

All the best!

Michal Tourism CA

ReputationRep:
    Welcome everyone!

This week was very busy for me. On Monday we had a seminar from International Marketing when we discussed the last question for the case study report. It was worth attending and I feel ready now to write the report, although because of other assignments this one had the least focus in past weeks. The reason for that is because I had a report draft deadline form Tourism Policy and Planning on Friday, on Tuesday next week I have a deadline for Individual Facebook Marketing Plan Poster and I needed to prepare for the dissertation interview.

As you can see I am incredibly busy now. On Monday during the seminar, we had an interesting discussion about pro-poor tourism. Then on Tuesday, we had a class to help us with the poster assignment and nice meeting with the teaching team at the Chinese restaurant to celebrate the Chinese New Year. On Saturday morning I had a dissertation interview which went really well and will be a crucial part of my dissertation. In the meantime, I was coaching and playing tennis as every week and searching for summer internships.

All the best!

Michal Tourism CA

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

This week was very busy for me again. I submitted my facebook marketing plan poster on Tuesday. All Sunday and Monday I struggled with Photoshop to design the poster in the best way while leaving the relevant content on it. I have discovered also that you can print an A1 poster at our University! During the seminar on Monday we had an interesting role play activity to design our pro-poor tourism programme for the specific destination and my group as winners won some small University gifts On Tuesday as I mentioned was a poster submission deadline and some people had a poster presentation on that date, mine is next week. but it was a good experience for me into what questions I might expect regarding my poster. On Wednesday I played a tennis match for Middlesex University and Thursday and Friday were all spent at the library.

I have a lot to do because next two reports deadlines are on Friday. And the best thing happened regarding my dissertation. Last week I said that I had a great dissertation interview and I received an invitation to attend a meeting with very relevant people to my dissertation. It was something unusual for a student to see how the professional meeting looks like and how the political system in the UK works. Obviously, as my dissertation topic, this meeting was about the Heathrow expansion. I have started to feel that I made the right decision when I chose to do the dissertation. I am going back now to my reports and hopefully next week I will write few tips on how to manage the deadlines pressure.

All the best!

Michal Kuchmacz

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

This week was all about deadlines. I had two submissions on Friday and now I can say that I feel free again On Monday we had an International Marketing seminar when we could ask last questions regarding the report. The second Monday seminar was about event tourism. On Tuesday we had a poster presentation. We had to present and answer questions regarding our facebook content poster. On Wednesday I had a dissertation workshop where we discussed relevant issues with our tutors and they got a chance to see our progress. From Wednesday to Friday I was almost 24h a day at the library where I saw a lot of students from my course too. I always try to ensure that my work has the highest possible quality, therefore, sufficient time at the library is needed. After Friday submissions I used Saturday as a day off and just played tennis and chill.

All the best!

Michal CA Tourism

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

This week started with the Monday seminar where we discussed the city regeneration caused by tourism. It was a highly theoretical seminar and the knowledge we gained will be useful during an exam. On Tuesday we had an interesting lecture on the negative tourism impacts in London. Tourism seems a really beneficial for residents, but sometimes the situation is not that clear as for example, it is in London where foreign tourists have an impact on London's prices. Then, we had a briefing for our next assessment from Hospitality and Tourism Marketing. We had to choose our topic for an essay and we discussed the essay requirements. It will be the final assessment from this module.

On Wednesday I had a dissertation workshop which was helpful and focused on linking the primary and secondary data. I still work very hard on my dissertation, reading more articles, organising interviews and planning my literature review. In March dissertation will be my main focus. Apart from education I applied also for few internship roles for this summer. Aplications seem easy to complete, but it takes a lot of time to write a successful cover letter. So my advice to anyone looking for internships is to plan a lot of time for reviewing your cover letters. This weekend I am representing Middlesex University in the National Tennis Championships and I am looking forward to the first game. Next week I will focus again on my dissertation and hopefully start with my literature review.

All the best!

Michal Kuchmacz

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

Hope you are all well. This week started with the International Marketing seminar when we discussed the case study that we need to study before the exam. The exam will cover topics included in the Case Study, therefore the Case Study analysis will be crucial for our exam success. The Tourism Policy seminar was focused on discussing the impact of London 2012 Olympics on tourism in London and London itself. It was a very interesting question where we discussed a lot of important issues, positive and negative impacts. We finished with conclusions on what should be done in order to achieve greater benefits from Olympics.

On Tuesday during Tourism Marketing seminar we brought our chosen journal articles and compared with others. It helped us to find the best ones which will be used in the essay. We discussed with the tutor the essay assessment criteria and she checked also our journal, leaving useful comments. On Wednesday I had a dissertation interview when we learned how to analyse the qualitative data. To be honest it is a very long process. I started to transcribe my dissertation interviews this week and it is a very long process. For me to transcribe an hour long interview it takes 6 hours of real time. The benefit of transcription is that you get very familiar with the interview content and can already decide which topics to use in the dissertation I had another interview on Thursday and now I am trying also to get two or three more interviews for my dissertation. In March the dissertation will be given a priority.

Apart from academic work, the tennis and volleyball season finished last Wednesday. I could not play tennis this week because of the clash with my dissertation workshops but my team won the last game and we finished 4th in the league. However, I played last volleyball game of the season and we won but unfortunately, we finished the league at the 2nd place. We lost the 1st place by one set difference over a season which is really disappointing. However, I can conclude that playing in the BUCS league for the Middlesex University was a great pleasure and I will miss these great moments and emotions.

All the best!

Michal CA Tourism

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

This week was quite busy as always. On Monday we had an International Marketing seminar where we analysed the case study that our exam will be based on. The key topic will be an international market entry strategies. During tourism and planning seminar we had an interesting discussion about the ways that UK policy could be improved in order to help tourism sector. We had a range of ideas such as reducing fines for taking kids out of school or subsiding rail fares. AT the end of the seminar our discussion switched to a Brexit problem. The majority of us were against Brexit and it feels like everyone is now worried what will happen. We discussed why people voted how they did and we discussed the potential consequences that Brexit will cause. We concluded that Brexit won't help the tourism industry at all and can be also very problematic for the whole UK economy.
    On Tuesday we got feedback from our poster assignment. I got a first class grade and I am very happy that my hard work was rewarded. I had on Tuesday also a dissertation interview which went really well. On Wednesday I had a dissertation workshop about writing technique and in the evening I attended the Student Ambassador conference. On Thursday after tennis training I attended the new Made at Middlesex event which shows successful stories of Middlesex graduates, this event can inspire others for sure. I received also a feedback from TOurism and Planning report and the grade is very high. The rest of the time I spent on transcribing dissertation interviews.

All the best!

Michal CA Tourism

ReputationRep:
    Hello Everyone!

This week started with going to Heathrow consultations in Slough in order to make observations for my dissertation. On Tuesday we had a very nice lecture where everyone who scored a first class from the Poster assignment presented their work and got awarded. I had also a dissertation interview on Tuesday and I think it was the last one in order to focus now on writing. I transcribed also some interviews, but I have still a lot to go. I really need to work much harder now on my dissertation. On Wednesday I went back home to Poland and spend some time with my family and friends. I feel that I charged my batteries and have now more energy to study harder. It is quite important to allow yourself having some time off because the third year at University can be very difficult and time demanding. Next weeks will be all about finishing the dissertation draft and will require a lot of time at the library.

All the best!

Michal CA Tourism

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

This week has been busy as usual. On Monday we discussed the exam case study during the International Marketing seminar and we found some key themes that we can write about in the exam. Then we had a Tourism Policy and Planning seminar where we discussed exam issues. Next week we will have a mock exam. On Tuesday we did a note-matrix exercise during the Hospitality and Marketing seminar which will help us in the note-taking process for our next essay. On Tuesday also I helped second-year students alongside the tutor with their research project at Trafalgar Square. It is always nice to help other students and I enjoy my SLA job very much. On Wednesday we had a Varsity against the London Southbank which we won. I represented our University in tennis obviously. The rest of the week I spent on transcribing dissertation interviews, which take so much time, but is almost finished. I can't wait to finish transcribing and start writing about my topic.

All the best!

Michal CA Tourism

ReputationRep:
    Hello Everyone!

It is already April and the final deadlines are quickly approaching. It is a weird feeling that in a bit more than a month my undergraduate life at Middlesex University will finish and these three years spent here will be a memory. I can't even explain how quickly University time goes and, therefore I would encourage everyone to take the most of it.
    Regarding my academic studies. On Monday I received the feedback from my International Marketing report and I could not be happier, I got a very high first grade which causes that I won't need to stress so much before the last International Marketing exam in May. We had also a mock exam from Tourism Policy and Planning module. It was a good way to practice the exam conditions and how to structure our exam essay. I did not spend a lot of time revising before the mock exam because I am focused now on my dissertation, but I believe that I did well. We will see when we get results next week. On Tuesday we had a seminar from Tourism Marketing which prepared us for the peer review feedback next session. Giving feedback for your colleagues is a very effective way of learning and I think also because of my SLA job I have learnt how to be critical of my work. Being critical of your work is very important because there will be always areas of improvement.
    Finally, I will talk about dissertation which is basically an equivalent to my spare time now. It is a very large amount of work and I spend at the library almost every evening, but I know that this sacrifice will be rewarded in the future.
    Next week I'm off for few days to Lille with my University tennis team to compete in the EUropean tournament which will be a great time to get some new energy and finish the third year with great achievements.

ALl the best!

Michal CA Tourism

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.