Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As the Manc forum is quite quiet, I thought I'd start a thread for current students to tell future ones what to look forward to ie. from Freshers' Week and also any Manchester-specific advice like the best clubs/bars to go etc. and any other specific things we should know about Manchester Uni(s). What's the Union like? What kind of things are organised for Freshers' Week? Which places should we avoid/go to? Any other advice? Should be brilliant for me and others who are going to Manc as I've not found that much Manchester specific advice etc. on the net - any links to good sites with opinions, blogs etc. would be great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMutantGerbil)
    As the Manc forum is quite quiet, I thought I'd start a thread for current students to tell future ones what to look forward to ie. from Freshers' Week and also any Manchester-specific advice like the best clubs/bars to go etc. and any other specific things we should know about Manchester Uni(s). What's the Union like? What kind of things are organised for Freshers' Week? Which places should we avoid/go to? Any other advice? Should be brilliant for me and others who are going to Manc as I've not found that much Manchester specific advice etc. on the net - any links to good sites with opinions, blogs etc. would be great!
    Come on guys - I know there's quite a few of you at Manchester - give us your experiences!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not at Manchester! But I live here. And I don't believe I sing the praises of Manchester nearly enough.

The union, seems cool, I go there lots to see bands. There's a big bar in front of you, then you can go up these stairs to various stages of different sizes to see different acts. Or if there's a really big act playing, the building next door which is just like a 100ft wide garage or something is used. When it's not being used for bands there's always poster fairs, or bike sales etc going on there.

Right from the union is like fallowfield and south manchester where I've never been in my life, on the way is places like mcdonalds, subway, greggs, etc, then there's curry mile, which you don't want to touch unless you like the taste of crunchy cockroach. Left is MMU/UMIST, and places like musicbox, rockworld, rockworld does all nighters, and floor different floors, usually all of them playing hardcore/punk/etc. Rockworld is fun, but often full of 15 year olds, so maybe not the coolest place for you hip uni students, I like it though 5th ave is around there too I believe. Once you've gone far enough up, you can go right and end up in the gay village, which is just dozens of gay bars/clubs, and satan's hollow, which is alot like a very small, less busy rockworld. Being a student, you'll probably never venture beyond there, even though that's only like 1/4 of the city.

Enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    As the old joke says you can tell a Manchester University student by the fact they think Manchester consists of just the city centre, Rushulme, Fallowfield or for those that really travel far Withington

I love the city though some of the buildings still amaze me, even though I havbe just come back from Barcelona Manchester easily competes with it, just not on the weather or the beach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I love the city though some of the buildings still amaze me, even though I havbe just come back from Barcelona Manchester easily competes with it, just not on the weather or the beach.
    Manchester has a beach???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaq)
    Manchester has a beach???
    Probably the pitch at Old Trafford on a bad day...

ReputationRep:
    Some things to do during your first month in Manchester with slight emphasis on those of you living in Fallowfield:

1. Get to know the guys behind the counter in Kebab King, and Gaff's the corner shop. Gaff's is awesome - they'll serve you booze when the supermarkets and off-licenses won't (for a marginally inflated price) and they'll supply dodgy DVD's until the cows the come home.

2. Take your cheque book with you to the Freshers Fair. And more importantly, make sure you actually go to the meetings of the societies you sign up to. It's easy to get to the end of your first year and realise that appart from partying, perhaps your first year was slightly wasted...

3. DO NOT impulse buy a years pass from the first bus you pick you up on Oxford Road. For the first week or so, watch and learn. You'll soon see which bus services are frequent but less busy then others ( cought cough UK North cough cough).

4. See a band you've never heard of at Academy 3. So long as you check to see the band actually play a genre you like, chances are you'll have a brilliant night in the very cozy atmosphere. Afterwards, head to Big Hands which is 1 minute along Oxford Road heading to Fallowfield from the union building. Slightly expensive, but a lovely little bar where the band members often go post gig.

5. Spend a long Sunday night drinking £1 vodka shooters at The Oxford, a pub just along from the union building.

6. Get to Piccadilly Gardens (pretty much the city centre) on the bus. Then take a tram to Salford Quays and have a wonder. It's nice down there and most students never see it.

7. Find out where Platts Fields are. And have a BBQ with your new mates.

8. Trafford Centre - obvious. Also when on the bus don't press the stop button when you get close to the Trafford Centre or you'll miss out on the highly impressive front of the building. Stay in your seat... it'll be obvious when to get off.

9. I personally feel there are a number of club nights which are just unmissable. 5th Avenue is a indy club but even those of you who aren't indy fans must experience it. Go drunk, and get drunker when your there. You'll soon stop noticing how scunny the deco is and have a great cheap night. AU at Piccadilly 21's on a Wednesday is immense. And boys... the girls are beautiful. Lastly the Bop at Owen's Park. I've got to say try it... even though in my heart of heart's I'd advise against it.

10. Give blood. Students often get a bad press for not working, and doing nothing but drink and drugs. Giving blood is a tiny little way you can do something constructive. And you'll know when the NBS are in Fallowfield.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, thanks for all that mate!

ReputationRep:
    Tednol good advice there. As the UK North the reason their service has declined is because a student was run over by one of their faulty buses a few years back so they had to take 25 buses of the road.

They used to run the 86 so it mean't I have a choice but now where I live I have no choice but to use Stagecoach and then Firstbus to get to Salford, it costs me £12 a week on bus travel! In the summer its costing me £2 a week because South Manchester is like a ghost town at the moment.

I would say its also worth students going down to Didsbury as a one off, its expensive but its not as problematic as Manchester, i.e you can get in all the posh bars without being searched etc.

If you want Countryside then get the 86 into Chorlton, walk down Beech Road, pop into some expensive wine bars and see Badly Drawn Boy (he lives on Brundetts Road but I better not say the number ) then walk to the meadows. You will see nothing but woods and countryside and hear nothing but silence and a faint sound of the M60 motorway. This place is right next door to Fallowfield (Fallowfield borders Chorlton) although its a good 1 hour walk to the woods.

5th Ave is good but only when the students are around, its at its best late September early October, by new year it tends to go down hill and is full of drunks.

Other indie clubs are 42ND street, The Brickhouse and South. South is where Clint Boon (ex inspiral carpets) DJs every saturday. One night I went his mate Hooky (Peter Hook from New Order) has DJ'ing.

For live bands nothign beats the Academy 3, I've seen a few bands there now, the Ritz is also good but its rare that bands play there.

Some warnings:

Avoid the wetherspoons in Piccidilly at night, this is the only pub I have ever been to that I felt a bit threatened. (The other city centre wetherspoons are quite nice).

Don't use ATM machines anywhere down the Wilmslow Road area at night, especialy if you're on your own.

Its customery to say thank you to bus drivers in Manchester, this is somthing that dosn't seem to happen any where else in the country. However if the bus driver is rude to you, don't bother thanking him/her, just glare at them

Try not to wind up any of the local yocals, some of them have one purpose in life and thats to make life hard for students. The problem isn't as bad as it used to be though.

PS Manhcester dosn't have a beach yet, although there are plans to build one in Salford for the scallies to build sand castles in. Manchester isn't on the coast but we still managed to become one of the biggest ports in the world at the turn of the century so I am sure we can build a sea and some sand. Liverpool will be in the water soon anyway

ReputationRep:
    Its customery to say thank you to bus drivers in Manchester, this is somthing that dosn't seem to happen any where else in the country.
    I don't think this happens just in Manchester. You must have a low opinion of the rest of the county's manners :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tev)
    I don't think this happens just in Manchester. You must have a low opinion of the rest of the county's manners :rolleyes:
    Lol, well to be honest the only cities I have got buses in is London, Edinburgh and North Wales (not a city) they don't say thank you there.

Its quite common that people are surprised we thank bus drivers, I always find the twin door buses in London odd because you get off in the middle and you can't thank the bus driver.

I would say that that the bus drivers in Manchester are the most misserable problably in the entire world!

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to start my second year in Manchester in September, and I can't wait to get back there. It's a great city, lots to see and do and plenty of cheap bars to have good nights out.

One thing I would recommend is getting a bunch of friends together and heading down to one of the parks (we play in Whitworth Park, next to the Art Gallery, opposite Wilmslow Park) and having a big game of football/cricket/rugby etc. No doubt there'll be others there and before you know it you'll be playing in the biggest multi-national game of football you've ever played!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, I'm from Sheffield and it's customary to thank the bus drivers here. It's often quite amusing when there's ten people getting off because you get a string of people saying "cheers, thanks, ta, thankyou, thanks a lot, cheers mate" etc - it's as if you have to say a different thank you to everyone else getting off.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice - it's always good to know the kind of thing to look forward to and do. What about freshers week - what has been organised in previous years? What should we go to/avoid? Any tips for do's/don'ts when living in flats on the first year? Keep 'em coming guys!

ReputationRep:
    The Footage is jammed packed in Freshers Week and for about a month afterwards. Same with the Union. Had good nights in both last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stan G)
    The Footage is jammed packed in Freshers Week and for about a month afterwards. Same with the Union. Had good nights in both last year.
    What's The Footage and where is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenna999)
    What's The Footage and where is it?
    Its a pub/night club type thing, its owned by Scream and is next to the Common wealth swimming pool on Oxford Road.

ReputationRep:
    Its a pub/night club type thing, its owned by Scream and is next to the Common wealth swimming pool on Oxford Road.
    You mean The Aquatics Centre? I'm living right behind there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenna999)
    You mean The Aquatics Centre? I'm living right behind there
    Yep thats it. There are loads of clubs/pubs round there, its possibly a better place to live than Fallowfield even.

ReputationRep:
    Yep thats it. There are loads of clubs/pubs round there, its possibly a better place to live than Fallowfield even.

Yay I chose it cos it's close to the city centre and to the uni lecture halls. Yay, lots of pubs, lots of pubs.....

ReputationRep:
    Ohh that sounds like fighting talk!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 13, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.