Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
which of the following reacts with hydrogen cyanide to make a racemic mixture
A methanal
B ethanal
C propanone
D pentan-3-one

isnt the condition to form optical isomers that the chiral center has FOUR different groups attached to it????????? in planar molecules only three different groups are attached to it so that means they cant form optical isomers right?? what is this question
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by pondsteps)
which of the following reacts with hydrogen cyanide to make a racemic mixture
A methanal
B ethanal
C propanone
D pentan-3-one

isnt the condition to form optical isomers that the chiral center has FOUR different groups attached to it????????? in planar molecules only three different groups are attached to it so that means they cant form optical isomers right?? what is this question
The optical isomers are formed by the reaction. The idea here is that the planar molecule can be attacked from either side of the plane, but only one of them makes an optically active molecule, i.e. one with four different substituents on the carbon atom.
alevels2k17
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
so the molecule must be planar in order to be attacked and hence form an optically active isomer??? if the intermediate was tetrahedral wont it form an optical isomer? (eg.the intermediate in nucleophilic addition of CN to aldehyde)
on_martin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It would be ethanal.

The CN-H bond breaks and the CN group attacks the carbonyl carbon. At the same time, the C=O bond donates electrons to the Oxygen forming an O- which bond with the H+ that was originally part of the HCN molecule.

You'll be left with the optically active isomer 2hydroxypropanenitirle as the original carbonyl carbon now has a CN group, a CH3 group, and OH group and a H.
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by pondsteps)
so the molecule must be planar in order to be attacked and hence form an optically active isomer??? if the intermediate was tetrahedral wont it form an optical isomer? (eg.the intermediate in nucleophilic addition of CN to aldehyde)
I guess the unstated comparison is to SN2 in which you get inversion of stereochemistry (for example see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mdiyiDPiPI)

For this reaction - addition of CN- to a carbonyl, the nucleophile can attack from the top or bottom of the planar molecule forming a tetrahedral intermediate with equal chances of forming, therefore forming a racemate.
alevels2k17
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pigster)
I guess the unstated comparison is to SN2 in which you get inversion of stereochemistry (for example see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mdiyiDPiPI)

For this reaction - addition of CN- to a carbonyl, the nucleophile can attack from the top or bottom of the planar molecule forming a tetrahedral intermediate with equal chances of forming, therefore forming a racemate.
thanks a lot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads