Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically ive started my personal statement and Im not feeling that confident...Is there any way i can make my application stand out

Ive done w/e at a dental practice 3 times
    working at a hospital (voluntary work)
    doing some charity work at Cancer Research UK
    I do woodwork and model making
    it all seems to ordinary
    please help if u can!!
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    you can do some stuff at school cos helping out peers looks good, team things like sports and that...erm. Just make it sound really good even if it seems really normal, you just have to say what you did but more importantly what it taught you and how this would only contribute to a career in dentistry eg. caring, compassion, timing skills etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitely get invlved at school. More experience in dental practice is definitely required, 3 times isnt much. Also explore other avenues of dentistry i.e. orthodontics and oral surgery.

ReputationRep:
    You could ask her out on a date : ) lol joke

im just currently doing work experiance 2 weeks at a dental practice and hope to do 1 week at dental technician labs. doing a variety of dental related work experiance will surely impress the admissions tutor as u will aquire more knowedge in the general "dental field" and not just a 'dentist'.

ReputationRep:
    And it's what you write about those things that will make your personal statement stand out. What have you learnt from them, what skills/qualities have you gained or strengthened, how will they help you with dentistry or at being a dental student...

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid all faith is lost, even if you have good writing skills, the admission staff will have a habit of skim reading your PS for the essential information and make your PS sound really crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil King)
    I'm afraid all faith is lost, even if you have good writing skills, the admission staff will have a habit of skim reading your PS for the essential information and make your PS sound really crap.
    I guess that is true, which means if you get in the key words/points and just keep hitting the nail on the head about work experience, skills, qualties, manual dexterity and your passions for being a dentist then you should be ok (personal statement wise). [That's what we can assume tho- who knows what the admissions tutors think?!]

ReputationRep:
    tis may seema bit off topic,but i guess its still about the admission tutor. this year i took, Chem, Bio and Phys, a couple of years back i took punjabi Langauge as a A level and got a overall c. Just wondering could i drop physics, i recv. a C in As (im sure i can bump that up to a B with one module Resit) and take the Chem and Bio at A level. I mena i have 3 A levels (including Punjabi, hopefully which they would accept) and a As in Physics. Thanks! Sorry if its off topic! =D

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 30, 2007

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.