The Student Room Group

When did you get your first job?

My roommate is broke af and refuses to get a job. He's nearly 21, has never had a job and has basically no experience (aside from working in a charity shop for like a month over the summer, which his parents forced him to do)

I'm 19, started working when I was about 16 and currently work a part time job. My friends all started working when they were like 13-16. He acts like I'm such a sucker because I 'don't need a job right now' (yet he's the one who's totally broke but w/e).

Just out of curiosity, when did you get your first job? He acts like it's totally normal and fine to have never had a job at his age, but then goes and asks for handouts from me and his friends.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Just after I was 21, I did voluntary things before then on and off. Would have got one much sooner if I hadn't gone to uni
I was 15 when i got my first paid job =)
17 when I got my first paid job, it was right at the start of my first year of college though, I turned 17 early

do not give him hand outs, he needs to realise he's a lazy sod and tbh if he doesn't realise soon he won't get a job as no one wants to hire someone who's happy to sit on their ass all day
16 first paying job, got experiences at 15.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got my first paid job when I was 18. I worked at the information desk of a train station. :smile:
Reply 6
My first job was aged 16 in 2006 at Priceless Shoes. Saw an advert in the window as I was going into town, the lady who gave me a chance is now one of my very best friends.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
First paid job at 20.
9-10, paper round.
Career-wise (for established companies), 16, web development.
Original post by doodle_333
17 when I got my first paid job, it was right at the start of my first year of college though, I turned 17 early

do not give him hand outs, he needs to realise he's a lazy sod and tbh if he doesn't realise soon he won't get a job as no one wants to hire someone who's happy to sit on their ass all day

I agree.

I got my first job 2 months before i was 17 (i started looking before i left school but never got anything).
Original post by doodle_333

That's what I'm worried about. It's hard enough to get a jobs nowadays already, hardly anyone is going to take on someone with no experience when most other applicants have been working since their teens. I suggested getting a Christmas temp job just for the experience and a bit of money during the festive season, but I've never seen someone turn their nose up at me so quickly.

I just think it's hilarious that he's going to have to go from never working/hardly going into uni to working a 40/60 hour work week if he wants to keep living away from his parents.
I'm 18, almost 19 and have never had a job of any sort. The way I feel right now, I just couldn't handle the things you are required to do. Talking to strangers for example is a near impossibility for me.

There's no room in the world for shy/introverted people, you're pretty much forced to change who you are in order to survive.
Almost 18 and none yet. I'm hoping to work next december and get some cash whilst waiting for my results in Jan

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by passionrulesme
That's what I'm worried about. It's hard enough to get a jobs nowadays already, hardly anyone is going to take on someone with no experience when most other applicants have been working since their teens. I suggested getting a Christmas temp job just for the experience and a bit of money during the festive season, but I've never seen someone turn their nose up at me so quickly.

I just think it's hilarious that he's going to have to go from never working/hardly going into uni to working a 40/60 hour work week if he wants to keep living away from his parents.

Yep and he's going to struggle and probably not manage it but he'll get his comeuppance...

Original post by cbreef
I'm 18, almost 19 and have never had a job of any sort. The way I feel right now, I just couldn't handle the things you are required to do. Talking to strangers for example is a near impossibility for me.

There's no room in the world for shy/introverted people, you're pretty much forced to change who you are in order to survive.

You don't have to change who you are but you do need to learn to deal with difficult situations. I was diagnosed with severe social anxiety during school and stil got a job as soon as I started 6th form. It was hard but it's better to learn those lessons in a low stakes Saturday job than when you're looking for a 'real' job after uni or something.
I got mine at 13 used to skip a day at school a week and work down the market and do a paper round.

He's a bum and will probably never ever get a job or not for years my friend was the same he is 26 now
My first job was when I just turned 22, but I did work experience and volunteering placements previously. I think if your friend is desperate for money, he really needs to find a part time job. He can't always ask for money from parents and friends! What about when he graduates?
Original post by passionrulesme
My roommate is broke af and refuses to get a job. He's nearly 21, has never had a job and has basically no experience (aside from working in a charity shop for like a month over the summer, which his parents forced him to do)

I'm 19, started working when I was about 16 and currently work a part time job. My friends all started working when they were like 13-16. He acts like I'm such a sucker because I 'don't need a job right now' (yet he's the one who's totally broke but w/e).

Just out of curiosity, when did you get your first job? He acts like it's totally normal and fine to have never had a job at his age, but then goes and asks for handouts from me and his friends.

15!
I got my first job during the summer holiday on my 19 birthday as the shop keeper. The owner was so good to me, but sadly need to leave it since i need better job to support my life.
Well I've been lucky between 16-18, most people my age would get a job of some sort but my sixth form gives me Β£100 every term, which is Β£500 altogether as I'm a bursary student.

My first job was 2 week year 11 work experience at WHSmith but haven't had a proper job.

Quick Reply