helpme:)
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello, just a quick questions does anyone know what order you should look at the graphs? I know look at mass spec then IR but do i look at carbon or proton NMR first? thanks
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Fox Corner)
x
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The order doesn't really matter too much. If you've got an idea of what you've made MS is a good check, followed by IR, NMRs, UV/VIS if appropriate.
MexicanKeith
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by helpme:))
Hello, just a quick questions does anyone know what order you should look at the graphs? I know look at mass spec then IR but do i look at carbon or proton NMR first? thanks
Personally I prefer to look at proton NMR before C-13. The splitting patterns make proton NMR more useful than (decoupled) C-13 NMR. Also the chemical shifts are often easier to interpret in proton NMR.

Personally I like to look at mass spec(molecular ion), then IR, then NMR's, then mass spec(fragmentation products)

Ultimately though it doesn't really matter, you can always go back and have another look at the different spectra if you think you might be able to get more information out of them!
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For A level combined spectra, IR is 1st - it tells you the functional groups i.e. C=O, CH2OH and/or COOH

It is sooo fast and gets you in the mood for looking at NMR.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (21)
31.34%
No (46)
68.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed