Miss~Brightside
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Im moving into a rented house on saturday which i will share with my 4 friends, one friend is there already and hes told me the toilet seat is nasty and the doors are dodgy amongst other things, there are a few people still living there and i phoned my landlord to tell him when i was moving in and he sed its fine and he will make sure everyone moves out on saturday, now if they move out the same day the rest of us move in it not gonna get cleaned or anything is it?? and ive already heard its dirty :confused: im starting to get worried, surely it should be reasonably clean with nothin broken ready for us to move into??? anyone got any experience with this sort of thing? what have house states been in that uve moved in to?
Dionysus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Miss~Brightside)
Im moving into a rented house on saturday which i will share with my 4 friends, one friend is there already and hes told me the toilet seat is nasty and the doors are dodgy amongst other things, there are a few people still living there and i phoned my landlord to tell him when i was moving in and he sed its fine and he will make sure everyone moves out on saturday, now if they move out the same day the rest of us move in it not gonna get cleaned or anything is it?? and ive already heard its dirty :confused: im starting to get worried, surely it should be reasonably clean with nothin broken ready for us to move into??? anyone got any experience with this sort of thing? what have house states been in that uve moved in to?
Ask for things to be rectified if they are damaged. As for the toilet, surely it wouldn't be that much of a hardship to clean it? If all else fails, toilet seats cost very little.
Paeony
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Welcome to the world of renting. Despite what your contract and the landlord will say, you are very, very lucky (particularly if it's a student house) if you ever find somewhere that won't require much cleaning when you move in. I'm in the process of looking at flats atm and of the twenty I've viewed in the past two weeks, only one has been 'clean' (and the letting agent admitted that it was 'unusual'...) You really just have to expect that when you move into a new place, everyone is going to have to muck in and clean for the first day or so. As a tenant it's your responsibility to ensure that the flat is clean* when you move out, but it's surprising how many flats are left in a disgusting condition. I work by the rule that I won't leave a flat in a state that I wouldn't be happy to move in to, but sadly a lot of people aren't like that. You're also going to be very lucky if you move into a flat that has nothing 'broken' in it ...

However, DO NOT CLEAN UNTIL THE INVENTORY HAS BEEN DONE! You need to get a record of the fact that the property was not clean when you moved in. Take pictures before you clean too, and if your camera doesn't date them then print them off and post them to yourself via recorded delivery. Keep the envelope sealed (you even can ask them to datestamp the seal at the post office) and if you should need proof of the condition of the flat when you moved in then they will be very useful.

Make sure that the inventory clerk makes a note of EVERYTHING that is damaged or broken. I'm not sure what you mean by the doors being 'nasty', but if they're broken then it's the landlords responsibility to get that, and the toilet seat fixed as soon as he can. If he's not there when you move in, and it's not been done within a couple of days, then put it in writing giving the landlord a reasonable time to sort it out. Don't immediately go on the defensive, most landlords are ok and will get stuff sorted, but sometimes things go un-noticed so you might need to remind him/her. Also, sometimes it's better just to do something minor like that yourself, to save souring your relationship with the landlord ... you can get a loo seat for a couple of pounds from Wilko's and they're easy to fix. Some landlords and letting agencies are rubbish at fixing things, and although it's not an ideal situation sometimes it's just easier to fix something yourself rather than spending hours on the phone or writing letters. However, please DON'T ever try to fix gas, electrics or anything major yourself - I'm talking here about replacing like for like, such as mending a loo seat or replacing a lamp shade. Anything major or anything that you can't reasonably do is the landlord's responsibilty. Don't ever put you or your flatmates in danger. Also remember that to change some things you'll need the landlords permission, and if you don't get this you could loose your deposit.

*Just wanted to make a point about cleaning. A lot of tenancy contracts will state that a property needs to be cleaned to a 'professional standard' or 'professionally cleaned' at the end of a tenancy. This is deemed to be an unfair term by the OFT, as a landlord has no right to demand that a property is professionally cleaned UNLESS it was done so before you moved in. As a tenant, it is your responsibility to leave the property in a similar state to the way it was when you moved in, minus fair wear and tear. For a landlord to demand that a flat that wasn't professionally cleaned before you moved in is professionally cleaned when you move out is called 'betterment', and a landlord cannot legally expect to receive the property back in a better state. Obviously it's never a good idea to leave a property in an absolute mess, and at the very least you should have a good dust, hoover and clean of the windows and bathrooms when you move out, but a lot of landlords try to get this 'professional cleaning' out of tenants when they really shouldn't. A lot of students especially loose chunks out of their deposits unfairly because of this, so it's something that's useful to know about.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (67)
66.34%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
20.79%
Yes but I might change my mind (13)
12.87%

Watched Threads