English at Leeds? Watch

missygeorgia
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hi,
I've been looking at Leeds as a potential uni to do an English course, however I looked at the course description and it seemed that a lot of it is language based rather than literature which doesn't really appeal to me. To those who are doing English at Leeds- how much language does the course involve and what kind of things do you study? Is it significantly different from a course that's completely literature?

Thank you!
missygeorgia
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I was planning on maybe combining English with Philosophy, are there no compulsory English modules if you do joint honours?
guitarromantic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'd say (as a third year English student) that:

a) the course is almost certainly more lit-heavy than language
b) it's not really an issue since from year 2 onwards you pick and choose all your modules so can do an entirely lit-based course.

If you want more details, look through my past posts, I've made loads on English, haha.

EDIT: this thread has a lot in: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=328906
Kater Murr
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm possibly applying for English and Philosophy (or maybe just English) too, and I think if you order the Leeds prsopectus, you type in which subject you want to do and you'll get a little English pamphlet too, giving you course details, including JH courses. The website www.leeds.ac.uk/english is also pretty comprehensive in giving you all the details about the course - in fact, it's the most detailed one I've found for any university. Tells you which book to read for each module, etc. etc...

I think, personally, it looks like a fascinating course
PinkPigeon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I thought exactly the same but basically all it is, in first year if you take straight english you have to take 'language, text and context' which is a purely language module but that is only module out of three in one semester so it really is quite easy to just bear it. After that, from second year onwards as others have said you can choose not to take any more language and do an entirely lit based course which is what I'm doing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (59)
75.64%
Leave (19)
24.36%

Watched Threads