magicianbelle
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello there! Recently I'd love to take the step to work within further education. I studied at Harlow College and before then never had an amazing time with education itself (just due to anxiety, schools not being able to give me the right support because at the time there wasn't really a recognition of it) but when I was in college I loved it and had a truly wonderful experience. This was about 4 years ago. I studied Fashion & Clothing and came out with good grades, and a National BTEC Level 3 Diploma covering visual arts etc.

I've worked a lot (retail), I tried university for my illustration (but just decided that being a freelance suited me better) and now I'm really interested in working with the same kind of people who worked with me when I was 16-18 in college.

Only trouble being I'm just unsure of how to go about this. I've found a few teaching assistant courses (Harlow College even do one) and I'm just wondering how and if I'm able without a degree, to work as college tutor assistant in a similar course to the one I took when I was younger (aka visual arts, creative courses).

If anyone can just give me some more information I'd be really appreciative, I just don't know where to start!
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by magicianbelle)
Hello there! Recently I'd love to take the step to work within further education. I studied at Harlow College and before then never had an amazing time with education itself (just due to anxiety, schools not being able to give me the right support because at the time there wasn't really a recognition of it) but when I was in college I loved it and had a truly wonderful experience. This was about 4 years ago. I studied Fashion & Clothing and came out with good grades, and a National BTEC Level 3 Diploma covering visual arts etc.

I've worked a lot (retail), I tried university for my illustration (but just decided that being a freelance suited me better) and now I'm really interested in working with the same kind of people who worked with me when I was 16-18 in college.

Only trouble being I'm just unsure of how to go about this. I've found a few teaching assistant courses (Harlow College even do one) and I'm just wondering how and if I'm able without a degree, to work as college tutor assistant in a similar course to the one I took when I was younger (aka visual arts, creative courses).

If anyone can just give me some more information I'd be really appreciative, I just don't know where to start!
Definitely get in touch with the college and see what they say. For a lot of vocational subjects you can teach with having a level 3 qualification. The next step for you could be to take the Award in Education and Training qualification. Many colleges run this as an evening course with a January start.
Sceptical_John
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by magicianbelle)

Colleges at the moment really need lots of people who can tutor maths & english due to the forced resit policy that's probably the easiest way in. If you have no education experiance I would advise doing a placement (at any level of education) as this would both be a way to make sure you want this and for potential employers to see that you are keen.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (186)
14.09%
I'm not sure (59)
4.47%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (387)
29.32%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.8%
I'm not a current university student (651)
49.32%

Watched Threads