The Student Room Group

hypothyroidism ---> extra time in GCSE exams???

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Anyone?:frown:
Speak to your doctor about it just in case it is a side effect or it could be you need a dosage change perhaps.
You only get extra time for diagnosed learning difficulties or physical issues with a broken hand for example, it has to be your normal working method to have extra time.
If you feel sure that you had these difficulties before and you think it wasn't due to your thyroid hormones affecting you then maybe you want to consider whether you could have some sort of learning difficulty but getting a diagnosis could take months unless you could pay for a private assessment.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Idku
Hello everyone, I have recently been told I have Hypothyroidism and I have to take levothyroxine - 50mcg , and I think the medicine is giving me side effects. For example, I am having difficulty concentrating, I feel tired all the time and have a really bad memory. Also, I think really slow but that was already a problem I had before I even started taking my medicine.

I have my GCSEs (18 exams) this year and I wanted to ask if any of you guys know whether I will be allowed to get extra time in my GCSE exams in May/June? Also if I am able to get it how do I get it and around how much extra time will I get for each exam?

Thank you

I don't think hypothyroidism counts sorry.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
Speak to your doctor about it just in case it is a side effect.
You only get extra time for diagnosed learning difficulties or physical issues with a broken hand for example, it has to be your normal working method to have extra time.
If you feel sure that you had these difficulties before and you think it wasn't due to your thyroid hormones affecting you then maybe you want to consider whether you could have some sort of learning difficulty but getting a diagnosis could take months unless you could pay for a private assessment.

Thank you so much for your help.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by chikane
I don't think hypothyroidism counts sorry.

Oh great, thanks for replying:tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by Idku
Oh great, thanks for replying:tongue:

Ask your teacher to make sure i have hypothyroidism too and wasnt aware i could have extra time as i assumed it was for those with a disability like dyslexia or dyspraxia. Read this it says teachers might make allowances for exam time but you need to make sure so ask.

http://www.btf-thyroid.org/information/leaflets/37-psychological-symptoms-guide
Reply 7
Original post by chikane
Ask your teacher to make sure i have hypothyroidism too and wasnt aware i could have extra time as i assumed it was for those with a disability like dyslexia or dyspraxia. Read this it says teachers might make allowances for exam time but you need to make sure so ask.

http://www.btf-thyroid.org/information/leaflets/37-psychological-symptoms-guide

ll
(edited 7 years ago)
Speak to the exams officer. Just having a condition won't entitle you extra time.
Original post by Idku
Thank you so much for your help.
I guess I'll just speak to my doctor about the side effects first and see what they can do, but if it's normal I have these side effects, do you think I can still qualify for the extra time? I mean, it is kind of affecting my brain and my ability to think fast and be able to concentrate right

I m afraid you probably wouldn't be able to as theoretically your medication should be correcting your thyroid hormones to be normal,unless you got diagnosed with something else
Original post by Idku
So did u get extra time in your exams or was it too late?:s-smilie:
My school does know I have hypothyroidism but I think I should go and ask my exams officer maybe she knows more about it. Thanks again for the reply, much appreciated!:biggrin:

I was diagnosed when i was 14 which is 10 years ago i never asked just went on with it but don't think it is a valid reason for extra time but ask your exam officer.
Reply 11
Original post by claireestelle
I m afraid you probably wouldn't be able to as theoretically your medication should be correcting your thyroid hormones to be normal,unless you got diagnosed with something else

True, but thanks anyway for your help!:redface:
It's not true that you definitely can't get extra time if you only have hypothyroidism.
You can get extra time for any medical condition in theory, IF it is disabling, which means it has a long term, adverse effect on you and your ability to take exams.
However, it sounds like you would struggle to prove that you meet this definition and you would need the direct support of a doctor who could provide evidence for the exam board.
Hope this helps explain a bit more.

Quick Reply

Latest