The Student Room Group

Is government and politics a 'soft subject' for top unis?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ETOTHEPOWEROFIPI
truncation to misrepresent context

You haven't disproved me. You're making those statements and it's equally as valid as me telling you that I know all of the admissions tutors at the top five unis and we're on a group chat right now roasting all the pathetic UCAS applications with Politics as a subject. Lol POLITICS what wastemen - they have no chance. Politics is considered soft, face it. Politics is a very soft subject meant for people will lower aspirations in terms of Higher Education. Don't even get me started on Business Studies or Business Management. It's disgraceful that some Independent Schools still offer Politics as an actual subject choice. Lol must have a lot of people going to Leeds, or worse: Nottingham.

Not truncated anymore. Still sounds stupid.
It angers me how economics departments at some top universities look down on the Computer Science A Level and instead prefer applicants with traditional science A Levels or (shock horror) English Literature A Levels. Is it because their admissions tutors do not understand the Computer Science A Level very well or is it just plain old Luddism?

Computer Science is becoming an increasingly attractive choice at A Level for pairing with economics amongst students.
Reply 82
Original post by fleky6910
Thx for ur help , how come LSE dont give an offer with STEP. I was also surprised there maths and economics were lower than Warwicks.

For Maths? LSE isn't a typical mathmo destination so it's a supply and demand thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Given your other subjects and intended courses, it's absolutely fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I used UCAS calculator on LSE maths department , I put in A* A* A* for maths, FM and chemistry it came out as 75% however when I put A* A* A* for maths, FM and a subject in religious studies / philosophy it came out as above 90% , is this true or sound right?
Original post by PQ
Definitely get booked into open days and visits (and summer schools if possible) for these universities ASAP and ask them lots of questions directly. It does sound like PPE might be worth looking into (as well as maths or econ/maths) - if you've got broad interests then it's a great degree for allowing you to explore different subjects and how they inter-relate.

Don't get too hung up on specific degree choices now - if you pick subjects that you enjoy and expect to do well at for A level then you'll be able to find a degree that will allow you to continue those interests.

Hey I used UCAS calculator on LSE maths department , I put in A* A* A* for maths, FM and chemistry it came out as 75% however when I put A* A* A* for maths, FM and a subject in religious studies / philosophy it came out as above 90% , is this true or sound right?
Reply 85

Probably from a *very* small sample of Mathmo RS/Philosophers

Correlation =/= causation :smile:

The "and chemistry" sounds more realistic...
Original post by jneill
Probably from a *very* small sample of Mathmo RS/Philosophers

Correlation =/= causation :smile:

The "and chemistry" sounds more realistic...

So it best just to ignore it? Also it doesn't include economics , do u reckon 75% for Maths,Fm, Economics ? I will probs do chemistry/philosophy AS/A2
So it best just to ignore it? Also it doesn't include economics , do u reckon 75% for Maths,Fm, Economics ? I will probs do chemistry/philosophy AS/A2

I wouldn't give the offer rate calculator any credit at all for differences between offer rates on those subjects. Given that it's LSE then the difference is almost certainly down to either UMS on Maths A levels or the content of the PS - neither of which are picked up on the UCAS offer rate calculator.
Original post by PQ
I wouldn't give the offer rate calculator any credit at all for differences between offer rates on those subjects. Given that it's LSE then the difference is almost certainly down to either UMS on Maths A levels or the content of the PS - neither of which are picked up on the UCAS offer rate calculator.

Thx
Original post by Lauren1498x
??? It's literally not, and I meant what I said :smile: I'm going to guess that you have never touched anything remotely to do with politics before and therefore I don't think you're a particularly valid or reliable source of information. Have a nice day

I did Government & Politics AS...
Original post by Arran90
It angers me how economics departments at some top universities look down on the Computer Science A Level and instead prefer applicants with traditional science A Levels or (shock horror) English Literature A Levels. Is it because their admissions tutors do not understand the Computer Science A Level very well or is it just plain old Luddism?

Computer Science is becoming an increasingly attractive choice at A Level for pairing with economics amongst students.

LSE are the first to recognise its value. I can only think of Cambridge being backward looking. Must be full of old luddites with no clue about the difference between CS and ICT.
Original post by jneill
For Maths? LSE isn't a typical mathmo destination so it's a supply and demand thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's because the maths at LSE is mainly applied statistics. There's very little pure mathematics. Warwick's maths and econ course requires STEP
It's because the maths at LSE is mainly applied statistics. There's very little pure mathematics. Warwick's maths and econ course requires STEP

So which course would be better for employment?( for IB/hedge funds)
Reply 93
Warwick's maths and econ course requires STEP

"Requires"? No it doesn't.
Original post by jneill
"Requires"? No it doesn't.

yeah but u might as well do it for insurance. nothing to loose.
Reply 95
LSE are the first to recognise its value. I can only think of Cambridge being backward looking. Must be full of old luddites with no clue about the difference between CS and ICT.

Its a perfectly acceptable a-level for Econ at Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did Government & Politics AS...

Ok but why have you grouped politics together with the subject. You've said 'politics' is soft which it isn't. I've already said I haven't done government and politics as a subject but I know fine well they're not the same thing. The issue is saying politics is soft and doesn't require intelligence, and then saying if someone wants to do a degree related or involved with politics then it's a bad subject to take, when it's not
Got invited to Cambridge interview with Gov + Pol, offers from Durham, Warwick, York

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
Got invited to Cambridge interview with Gov + Pol, offers from Durham, Warwick, York

Posted from TSR Mobile

which course?
which course?

Law. And that's at A2, not just AS. Just making the point that even for competitive courses (like Law or Econ) it wouldn't rule you out. Particularly as an AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending