Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The whole idea or door to door rubbish collection was conceived and first implemented in an age where people bought things from local shops, and much of the population moved about by foot or public transport.

Perhaps if the age of the private car and the supermarket is upon us, and if it is sustainable, then our whole waste collection system should be re-organised.

The cost of door to door rubbish collection is high - think of all the trucks used throughout the country, trundling through narrow housing estate lanes and causing congestion, each being replaced after less than a decade of service. Then there's the wages that must be paid to the small army of drivers and bin men.

If you take the typical household: one of the resident adults takes an empty car to the supermarket once every week; here amongst thousands of others, they fill their cars with the goods they desire before driving home and taking their shopping bags inside. Now, how much extra effort would be entailed in carrying the rubbish bags into the car before you drive to the supermarket, and dropping them off there before you go inside? It just seems like the more productive use of a journey, would save taxpayers' money, and would contribute to worker productivity and GDP in the long run.

That is to say, refuse collection could probably far more efficiently be re-organised around supermarkets.

With some limited community support provision for the collection of refuse from "vulnerable people" (when i say community support, it might be cheaper for the government to pay neighbours a stipend for collecting the rubbish of the elderly or disabled as they do their own, rather than send out government agents)?

Or do people see our imminent return to a public transport, whereby the carrying of one's own rubbish to a supermarket would be quite unbecoming of any courteous person?

Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    I quite like that idea, actually. It might be a bit of a hassle to begin with, but in time people would get used to it. In places where supermarkets are far away, there would be nearby collection centres.

Also, what about people who don't drive? It might be a bit difficult for them.

What about having a kind of rubbish shuttle service? Basically it would be a bus (of sorts) which would stop at certain places in each town at certain times of day, and instead of people getting on, they would put their rubbish on. It's like public transport for refuse.

ReputationRep:
    privatise the whole thing. I don't understand why it hasn't been already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaun39)
    Or do people see our imminent return to a public transport, whereby the carrying of one's own rubbish to a supermarket would be quite unbecoming of any courteous person? Discuss.
    I think with rising world population and the increasing price of oil that the "car culture" will, or should be replaced with people living in more centralised communities. I.e people will no longer live in suburbs, commute to cities and drive to regional super-shopping complexes. I would like to see a future where people can do most of their local travelling simply by walking or hopping on a tram/train.

Your idea is othewise quite good, but it relies on people making the journey once a week and taking the rubbish with them. I see it as quite likely that people wold simply make journeys just to deliver rubbish and the efficiencies would evaporate.

Your also forgetting not everyone has a car, either they cannot afford it, do not want it or perhaps are incapable for driving one. like the elderly, so refuse collection for them would still be needed.

I would actually like to see supermarkets moving to home deliveries more and more because having one van going around is more energy efficient than lots of people driving.

Also, people often shop more than once a week and probably should be encouraged too, in order to get fresher produce etc.

If i had the choice i think it wold be preferable to ditch the car culture anyway and go back to local markets etc, where groceries are not dominated by a few select monolithic companies and there is more room for diversity and people can develop a more personal relationship with food and its suppliers.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.