username1373182
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am stuck right now.

I really want to believe in God. But I just can't force myself into it. My whole teenage life I have been antireligious.

I want to believe, but I just don't have the time. I don't want to live a restrictive life. I don't want marriage before sex, or have to burden myself with going to church every week. I am a busy person right now especially.

But recently, I have been feeling it. Maybe it is God telling me. I am becoming inspired by people, especially footballers who follow God's path. I want to believe.

What do I do? :'(
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by abrack)
I am stuck right now.

I really want to believe in God. But I just can't force myself into it. My whole teenage life I have been antireligious.

I want to believe, but I just don't have the time. I don't want to live a restrictive life. I don't want marriage before sex, or have to burden myself with going to church every week. I am a busy person right now especially.

But recently, I have been feeling it. Maybe it is God telling me. I am becoming inspired by people, especially footballers who follow God's path. I want to believe.

May I ask a bit more about why you want to believe? Is it out of an inkling or growing conviction that God (which God are you talking about here?) exists? Or because you think it would be nice to have faith in God? Or something else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
robbo3045
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can believe in a God but not believe in religion.
At the end of the day, it really comes down to whether you believe the books.

To me they are politically motivated constructs. I don't believe Christianity, Islam, Hinduism or any of the other 'large' religions can represent how we came to be, or the views of anything that made us. You can still however be spiritual and believe that something did, but just be open to knowing we don't know exactly what or why.

Be a good person, that's all you need to be. Don't worry about the rest.
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Believe in Huddersfield. Believe in the mighty Terriers.
MadVisionary
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You don't have to adhere to a particular religion. You can believe in God perfectly well enough without having to put on the chains of Catholicism or anything like that.
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by abrack)
I am stuck right now.

Man, if you find GOD you will find it a burden not meet up with God's people because you will find them the most inspiring.
I also rejected what I assumed was "church", but when I met people who had a relationship with God (not religion),
I realised my assumptions were wrong, I needed to find the truth ... ultimately making personal contact with God
was the way. After getting my eyes opened by God I realised most of the stuff I was giving my time and effort to was a dead end ... He had better plans.

PM me if youi are free for a meeting this Sunday.
ImASnek
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just.. believe in God?

Why do you need to go to church to believe? (You dont).

God isnt necessarily equitable with organised religion. Its not a one stop shop of okay im gonna believe in God. Right, which one, islam, christian, catholic, hindu, jew, right catholic now I have to find a church and go every week. It doesnt work like that, organised religion is there to facilitate worship. In truth, nobody, not the Pope, nor the highest ranking bishop, scholar, imam, priest, rabbi knows what 'God' wants, nor what 'God' really is. They just have their faiths interpretation and thats what people follow.

Sorry but personally I believe an almighty omnipotent being isnt going to care if you have sex before marriage, sex with the same gender, or worship at home or in a cathedral. Faith is a very personal thing and your beliefs should reflect this. Im not saying pick and choose as you see fit, I wouldnt advise becoming muslim if youre a rampant alcoholic with a taste for pork, but you'd be hard pushed to find a believer of a religion that follows it exactly.

In short, just believe. You dont need to go to church or have a vicar preach at your to validate it.
username1373182
Rep:
?
(Original post by shawn_o1)
Believe in Huddersfield. Believe in the mighty Terriers.
Yeah boi ❤️
username1373182
Rep:
?
Thanks for all the messages guys, I really appreciate all of the support!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.33%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.21%
No I am happy with my choice (116)
55.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed