The Student Room Group

Best GCSE revision guides

Hi :smile: I'm new (like I literally signed up 15 minutes ago) to here so sorry if I have posted this in the wrong location of if it is a silly question. But I'm currently in year 10 and looking at buying revision guides soon (I would rather have them now and then revise as I go along). So my question is.. What are the best revision guides? I'm looking to get them for: Biology, Chemistry, Physics (with AQA), History and French (also with AQA) and English Language and Literature (those are with edexcel).

Anyway.. I was just wondering with revision guides (or textbooks) are the best and would I be able to study from revision guide/textbooks from the old A*-G syllabus (I'm doing 9-1 btw)

So yeah.. Thank you and I'm really grateful for any replys :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
CGP are the best ones in my opinion, they have all you need to know to get a decent grade and all the notes you could possibly need to know for the specification. I literally revised using only the guides.

You can get ones with exam questions in them which are pretty good too.

Sciences and AQA subjects i would get CGP and maybe for the other subjects the Pearson Edexcel ones but either is good, if you're still unsure ask your teachers they'd recommend the good ones since they're probably selling them to the yr11's
Reply 2
Original post by retro_turtles
CGP are the best ones in my opinion, they have all you need to know to get a decent grade and all the notes you could possibly need to know for the specification. I literally revised using only the guides.

You can get ones with exam questions in them which are pretty good too.

Sciences and AQA subjects i would get CGP and maybe for the other subjects the Pearson Edexcel ones but either is good, if you're still unsure ask your teachers they'd recommend the good ones since they're probably selling them to the yr11's

Thank you :smile: Yeah I had heard about CGP - I think it is the ones my school offers.. But yeah my school does only have the old A*-G ones which is like core/additional science. My only worry is some people say CGP are quite basic and lack detail, and also what is your opinion on Letts? I read somewhere they were quite good - Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by thatthat
Thank you :smile: Yeah I had heard about CGP - I think it is the ones my school offers.. But yeah my school does only have the old A*-G ones which is like core/additional science. My only worry is some people say CGP are quite basic and lack detail, and also what is your opinion on Letts? I read somewhere they were quite good - Thank you :biggrin:

I only know about CGP and not Letts, I managed to revise for the CGP book and get A's, it's just condensed information based off what you need to know from the spec.
Reply 4
Original post by retro_turtles
I only know about CGP and not Letts, I managed to revise for the CGP book and get A's, it's just condensed information based off what you need to know from the spec.

Thank you :smile: I will look into them then. Also did you happen to use them for any other subjects or just the sciences?
I agree that CGPs are the best guide, I am in year 11 and used the biology, chemistry and physics guides for my mocks and they were extremely useful for making condensed notes for revision. Although they do lack some detail, they cover the full specification and what they lack in detail you should probably remember from class and your existing class notes. I would recommend getting the guides for the new 9-1 specification as there will certainly be some topics in the new spec which are not in the old one, and as GCSEs are getting harder I expect you will be expected to learn some aspects of the course in more depth than previously which new revision guides will be able to help you with. For my maths mock exams I have been using a Pearson revision guide from the old specification even though I am taking the new one for this subject, and it is a pain because some things aren't in it, so avoid this if you can!!
Although I only used CGP guides for the sciences personally, I know that a lot of other people in my year have them for nearly every subject (if not all), while some people don't have any. Get them for the sciences first and if they help you a lot you could think about getting them for others. :smile:
Original post by thatthat
Thank you :smile: I will look into them then. Also did you happen to use them for any other subjects or just the sciences?

i used them for geography eng lit and lang and maths

Quick Reply

Latest