Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    At my college we are allowed to take 5AS's if you get an average of above a B. My GCSE results were 6A*'s, 2A's and 2B's. Im definitely taking Maths,Geography,Physics and Chemistry and am also being encouraged(by family etc) to take further maths.

Has anyone else taken these subjects and can tell me what they're like because it seems like a lot of work to do all of them. (General studies is also compulsory at our college) Also there wasn't much information available about further maths so im not sure if it's worth it.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Economics so pretty similar to yours. I'm just about to start AS so I've no experience per se but from what I've heard...if you're capable and like and are good at Maths then taking the Further Maths shouldn't be a massive problem. How did you find Maths GCSE? Apparantly everything gets a lot more 'pure mathsy' now so I don't think the course will be the same as GCSE but harder - I've heard that it changes quite a bit. Personally I'm quite excited to start but then again I am moving schools so yeah, I would be excited! But yeah...do what feels right for you. I imagine that if doing double maths is too much then you can either drop the double maths bit a few weeks into AS (might have to do a bit of catch up or whatever) or just drop maths altogether at the end of AS as by that time you'll have a whole A Level in maths.

ReputationRep:
    5 subjects including Further Maths isn't as much work as doing 5 distinct subjects, imo. I kind of did the same, in that I did Maths A level and 3 other AS subjects - and the workload isn't that bad. You'd have to spend comparatively more of your time doing maths but if you are good at maths it would prove to be a lot less work than any other combination.

ReputationRep:
    If you are good at maths the overlap between further maths and maths reduces the workload considerably. The mechanics modules you probably will be doing will also overlap with physics, making the maths in physics incredibly easy.

My advice would be if you are good at maths and enjoy it then go for it, the workload will be reasonably high but not exactly impossible. Don't do it for your family though.

ReputationRep:
    Geography is boring, in my opinion. I hated it.

I dropped it in favour of Psychology.

Further Maths is much harder than Maths, especially in the first year, but in the second year, normal maths will seem like a BREEZE.

If you're adamant about doing Geography, bear in mind the enormous coursework load on top of your other 4 subjects.

I, however, thoroughly recommend doing Further Maths. 5 AS-levels is certainly manageable.

ReputationRep:
    I did the nearly the same as you except swap geography for computing. I would say it's doable and I doubt my results would have been different if I had decided to do 4 instead. I still had plenty of free time. It's pretty similar to doing 4 subjects, you just cover one of them faster. Made no difference when it came to number of summer exams. Only difference is that I took my AS maths exams in January.

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably going to take mechanics as the overlap with physics should make it easier as someone metioned above.

And i think i'll stick with geography as i found it one of my easiest subjects at GCSE. Hopefully if im finding it to difficult i can just drop one of the courses halfway through? i wouldnt want to, but i'd rather do that and get good grades in the others than bad grades in all

ReputationRep:
    You can see what I did below. There is obviously an overlap between Maths & Further Maths, but depending on how good you are will depend on the work load you have to put in; it is definitely considered the hardest A-level, and so if you're not too good at Maths its advisable that you stay clear. However, if you're good at the subject, then its definitely worth doing! For Medicine, I didnt need it, but I liked/was good at Maths and so decided to take it and quite enjoyed it. If you think you can handle 5 subjects, and you're keen on studying all the subjects, then you should do it - you can, afterall, drop one easily should you start to fall behind.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, i'm feeling more confident now, but one more question :P

Today my friend said 'there's no point taking maths and further maths because a lot of uni's will only count it as 1 thing not 2 courses' is that true?

ReputationRep:
    No Uni will say right from the start "These two will count as one", I think maths and further maths only counts as one when you're applying to do medicine (and even then only in some unis probably)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    There's barely any overlap between mechanics and physics in terms of the syllabus.

But anyway. A lot of unis for a lot of courses will count it as one subject in their offer, but that's irrelevant, you should be studying further maths for the academic advantage, not to impress universities. Anyway, I'd recommend you do it. I took 6 AS levels and it was fine.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn'd bother. Why put extra pressure on your self and risk doing worse in your other subjects?

At Uni you will just get an offer of e.g ABB and you need to get them grades to get in. You might as well give more time to your other subjects and get them grades, rather than having an extra subject to look good on your application. With the subjects you've taken and grades you will probably get, you wont need the extra subject to look good anyway.

I've only taken Maths out of those 5. It's HORRIBLE for the first month and I really struggled, but after that it gets quite easy. It's quite demanding and we got loooads of homework, but it's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    There's barely any overlap between mechanics and physics in terms of the syllabus.
    True. We still had to sit in both lessons for the overlap content anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crystaltears)
    I wouldn't bother. Why put extra pressure on your self and risk doing worse in your other subjects?
    i agree. only take 5 subjects if you think you can cope with the workload, and won't go crazy with it.
    i am doing 5 AS levels, and plan to carry on with them all in the 2nd year if i can. but i wouldn't choose them all if i didn't think i could handle it.
    and dont even think about doing subjects that you don't genuinely enjoy, because enjoying a subject makes it considerably easier to learn.

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking Maths, Further maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology next year. Hopefully I'll be able to cope with it. I think it'll be quite easy really.

ReputationRep:
    5 should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I took 5 AS levels, though admittedly in very different subjects to yours; mine were all arts subjects, which are considered by some to be less difficult, (which because I've not taken maths or sciences I'm not really able to comment on), but are perhaps more time consuming as they're all essay based subjects.

Anyway, I didn't feel at any point overwhelmed with the workload (I did get a bit stressed at exam time, but so does everyone), and I definately feel it was worth doing all 5. I say go for it - you can always give one up during term time, if you feel it's getting a bit much

ReputationRep:

But anyway. A lot of unis for a lot of courses will count it as one subject in their offer, but that's irrelevant, you should be studying further maths for the academic advantage, not to impress universities. Anyway, I'd recommend you do it. I took 6 AS levels and it was fine.
    :dito:

The only real difference between maths AS and maths/FM AS is the pace at which you'll go through the material. If you find you can't cope with Maths/FM then you can always drop the FM and it's probably easier to drop it and be really good at the single Maths then to pick it up in year 13 and maybe struggle. Some unis might not consider it in their offer, but that's generally for things like Medicine/Veterinary Science.

Like Billy, I also did 6 AS levels in Maths/FM/Physics/Chemistry/Biology/Music. Although I did AS Maths in year 11, then in Year 12 I've done A2 Maths and AS FM, and the whole of AS/A2 Music, along with AS Chemistry/Biology/Physics. This year I need one more module for A2 FM, six modules for Additional FM and the A2s for Chemistry/Physics/Biology. Yes the workload has half-killed me. :rolleyes:

love danniella

ReputationRep:
    But even so the higher level of maths required for mechanics makes the mechanics in Physics incredibly easy.

And there is a noticeable overlap between M1 and Physics in my opinion. I'm teaching myself Further maths at the moment and in some areas, such as projectile motion, barely any extra knowledge is required (as long as one has read around the Physics syllabus of course).
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Morgan141)
    But even so the higher level of maths required for mechanics makes the mechanics in Physics incredibly easy.

And there is a noticeable overlap between M1 and Physics in my opinion. I'm teaching myself Further maths at the moment and in some areas, such as projectile motion, barely any extra knowledge is required (as long as one has read around the Physics syllabus of course).
    You're right, though I thought the implication was that the physics wouldn't help the mechanics... and it's more than likely the OP would do more than M1.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.