This poll is closed

How did you find this exam?

Amazing! :woo: 26%
Good :H 35%
OKAY. :bebored: 25%
Bad... :cry2: 9%
HORRIBLE PAPER!! :@4%
Total votes: 514
Please share exam tips, resources and help for FP2 in this thread.

Specification

Click for specification - FP2 on page 49

Formula Sheet

Click for Formula Sheet

Past Papers and Mark Schemes

Physics and Maths Tutor - Past papers, mark schemes and Model answers for papers from 2002-2015, but the current spec begins from 2009.

[url="http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/mathematics-2008.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FExam-materials&filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Document-Type%2FQuestion-paper&filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK[excludedFace]biggrin[/excludedFace]ocument-Type%2FMark-scheme&filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK[excludedFace]biggrin[/excludedFace]ocument-Type%2FExaminer-report&filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK[excludedFace]u[/excludedFace]nit%2FUnit-FP2-(6668)"]Edexcel Website - Past papers, Mark schemes and Examiner reports from June 2009.

Bronze Silver Gold Papers

Extra Papers

Crashmaths (created by @kingaaran)

Extra Resources

Text

MadAsMaths (created by @TeeEm)
Link 1 - Questions on differential equations can be found here.

Link 2 - Questions on complex numbers and Polar coordinates can be found here

Inequalities

Maclaurin and Taylor Series expansion

PMT
Solution bank
Notes and Worksheets

CIMT

Videos

Examsolutions

Tutorials

Video Solutions to past papers

m4ths.com

Scroll to see replies

Buzzing for the FP2 exam
Original post by iMacJack
Buzzing for the FP2 exam

Prepared well then?
Original post by NotNotBatman
Prepared well then?

I'd like to think it wont be too bad yeah, there's nothing I struggle with really on the paper, but anything can happen on the day. What about yourself?
I'd like to think it wont be too bad yeah, there's nothing I struggle with really on the paper, but anything can happen on the day. What about yourself?

I feel that I've prepped well, I just need to practice drawing weird curves, but I'll probably just bring my graphical calculator to the exam. I could do with a bit more practice on complex transformations; the tricky types. But I've got good scores on the last two papers I've done.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm feel that I've prepped well, I just need to practice drawing weird curves, but I'll probably just bring my graphical calculator to the exam. I could do with a bit more practice on complex transformations; the tricky types. But I've got good scores on the last two papers I've done.

I mean thankfully we've got six more months to completely eradicate any minor errors which we may be making at this point! What other modules are you doing?
I mean thankfully we've got six more months to completely eradicate any minor errors which we may be making at this point! What other modules are you doing?

FP3
M1

Also going to resit: C3,C4,S2 and D2. This means I'll have c4 and d2 on the same day and FP3 and S2.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Nice and early, good stuff! About 3/4 of the way finished with this in class but we have broken up for christmas - going to have a good binge
watch
of exam solutions and finish it off tonight/ this weekend.
Currently self taught C3/C4 at my own pace ahead of class - C3 ive done like 30 + papers now lol and C4 need to clarify a bit of integration and
vectors. Then smash out S1 over christmas too.
Further maths we have done M2 - nearly done every question in the book and got 71/75 in a mock and are doing well with FP2. Doing M3 as the
third one and aim to have a good portion of M3 learnt over christmas, if not all of it. Luckily as I do physics, I really enjoy mechanics.
Ive got to resit FP1( got a C and completely panicked in the exam - just doing the madasmaths questions too) and then theres D1 where I got a D, no work into it which is just a learning curve. C1/C2/M1/D2 went good though.
My aim is all of Maths/ Further maths pretty much learnt by the new year, proper going for it, so will be sure to ask any FP2 questions here :biggrin:
Reply 8
Just finished it.
I think the series is easier than FP1, except sometimes the cancellation can be quite challenging to spot.
Fractional inequalities are decent - hardest part is getting the range correct at the end.
Complex numbers - DeMoivres theorem is really good IMO - i think the transformations can go pretty insane - gonna have to smash them.
Differential order equations - Alot of it seems memory and then just some strong algebra manipulation - probably my weakest area ATM due to the fact i have not memorised the general solutions + some questions go insane with the chain rule.
Taylor and Maclaurin series - Seems quite standard - not done really any questions on them so do not know to the extent they can go to.
Polar coordinates - Can go from 0-100 real quick haha - sketching is tedious but somewhat accessible if you do a table of values.
Got a decent foundation knowledge of each topic - now it is time to put it to practise!
Original post by TrueDAN
Just finished it.
I think the series is easier than FP1, except sometimes the cancellation can be quite challenging to spot.
Fractional inequalities are decent - hardest part is getting the range correct at the end.
Complex numbers - DeMoivres theorem is really good IMO - i think the transformations can go pretty insane - gonna have to smash them.
Differential order equations - Alot of it seems memory and then just some strong algebra manipulation - probably my weakest area ATM due to the fact i have not memorised the general solutions + some questions go insane with the chain rule.
Taylor and Maclaurin series - Seems quite standard - not done really any questions on them so do not know to the extent they can go to.
Polar coordinates - Can go from 0-100 real quick haha - sketching is tedious but somewhat accessible if you do a table of values.
Got a decent foundation knowledge of each topic - now it is time to put it to practise!

Nice. I agree with most of what you've said, transformations can be the hardest for me, Madasmaths has been really helpful, because of the worked solutions, try doing questions on there. Polar coordinates used to be difficult, but I'm better at them now.
Nice. I agree with most of what you've said, transformations can be the hardest for me, Madasmaths has been really helpful, because of the worked solutions, try doing questions on there. Polar coordinates used to be difficult, but I'm better at them now.

Yes will be, thanks mate! Madasmaths is insanely helpful - got all his C4 papers to
do, his M2/M3 booklets and FP2 stuff! Gonna aim to just do a few questions each day and let it build up over time so then I am not rushing to binge loads of questions !
Madasmaths first order differential practise questions - I am confused by a step on Q1.b
I have got to the stage y(9x^2+4)^1/2 = 1/3 multiplied by the integral of 1/ (x^2+4/9)^1/2 aka the 4th last line on the worked solution. How does my expression transform to one with arcsinh in it? I've never came across this in edexcel FP2 - I thought it was in FP3 maybe - which I'm not doing
Original post by TrueDAN
Madasmaths first order differential practise questions - I am confused by a step on Q1.b
I have got to the stage y(9x^2+4)^1/2 = 1/3 multiplied by the integral of 1/ (x^2+4/9)^1/2 aka the 4th last line on the worked solution. How does my expression transform to one with arcsinh in it? I've never came across this in edexcel FP2 - I thought it was in FP3 maybe - which I'm not doing

That would be FP3.
Madasmaths 2nd ODE practise questions Question 10B - hard particular integrals section - not quite sure why *As cos 3x is part of the CF and there is no dy/dx, try y = Pxsin3x*
Original post by TrueDAN
Madasmaths 2nd ODE practise questions Question 10B - hard particular integrals section - not quite sure why *As cos 3x is part of the CF and there is no dy/dx, try y = Pxsin3x*

When solving a 2nd order ODE you want a solution to the homogenous equation (complementary function) and solution to the inhomogeneous equation (particular integral). They need to be linearly independent.

Since cos3x is a part of your complementary function, you cannot choose it to be a part of your particular integral. Hence the general trick is to multiply the standard particular integral by x and try to see if this works.

If the working I'm thinking about in my head is correct, I believe the no dy/dx is a justification for using y=Axsin(3x) as the PI rather than y=Axsin(3x) + Bxcos(3x) - which I'm sure you can imagine would a right mess instead

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kingaaran
When solving a 2nd order ODE you want a solution to the homogenous equation (complementary function) and solution to the inhomogeneous equation (particular integral). They need to be linearly independent.

Since cos3x is a part of your complementary function, you cannot choose it to be a part of your particular integral. Hence the general trick is to multiply the standard particular integral by x and try to see if this works.

If the working I'm thinking about in my head is correct, I believe the no dy/dx is a justification for using y=Axsin(3x) as the PI rather than y=Axsin(3x) + Bxcos(3x) - which I'm sure you can imagine would a right mess instead

Posted from TSR Mobile

Insanely good explaination bro, thank you!
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1484223095.031606.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1484223102.224506.jpg

Can someone help with the last part of question 12 please? Why is A =0 and B = 5/6? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Glavien
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1484223095.031606.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1484223102.224506.jpg

Can someone help with the last part of question 12 please? Why is A =0 and B = 5/6? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting question. If A0 A \neq 0, then eventually, limxy=± \displaystyle\lim_{x\to \infty} y = \pm \infty (depending on if A is positive or negative), so would not be finite. Can you see why?

That leads to the condition A=0 A=0

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Glavien

Posted from TSR Mobile

When x is large, e^3x gets larger and larger. The solution will approach infinity unless we get rid of the e^3x term. That's why A must = 0. You can then work out B.
what's up dargs I'll be sitting FP2 this year so thought I'd tag myself in this thread :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest