Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to choose my degree; I've always wanted to do English but I'm wondering whether I should do a joint honours of English and Philosophy.

I would probably prefer to do this course and can always change to just English after a year if I want, but applying for English and Philosophy means that my choice of unis is much more limited and I have to rule out Manchester which would have been my first choice.

Shall I stick with just doing English which I'm more passionate about or shall I do the course I'd prefer at a lesser uni?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    if you are genuinly interested in doing philosophy, then you should apply to do a combined degree. and as for being at a lesser uni, thats not always true. durham offer english with philosophy and its a very good uni.

another thing about doing eng with phil is that the offer is likely to be lower. using durham as an example again, for 2008 entry, english studies require AAA, but eng with phil require AAB.

also, if its a course you would prefer to do, you should do it. remember, it'll be 3 years of your life spent doing it, so you might as well choose the thing you really want to do

hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should apply for a mix of both and then make up your mind? I'm applying mainly for English and Philosophy, but with a few for straight English. It's easy to write a PS that way too, where philosophy is, for me, put in as an extra. So you could apply to Manc, for straight English, then decide after you have more time to think about it/find out if you're given an offer, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Also check how the English courses at your chosen universities are structured; I do single honours English but have done quite a few Philosophy electives and a girl I know who does English and Philosophy said she wishes she had done the same rather than doing a joint honours...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    I'm trying to choose my degree; I've always wanted to do English but I'm wondering whether I should do a joint honours of English and Philosophy.

I would probably prefer to do this course and can always change to just English after a year if I want, but applying for English and Philosophy means that my choice of unis is much more limited and I have to rule out Manchester which would have been my first choice.

Shall I stick with just doing English which I'm more passionate about or shall I do the course I'd prefer at a lesser uni?

Thank you!
    Do Manchester not do their English and Philosophy course anymore then? I got an offer from them for that exact course in 2004...

Applying for joint honours/English and Philosophy specifically doesn't mean you have to go for 'lesser' unis. I applied for this course at Bristol, Manchester, Nottingham and Sussex - hardly 'lesser'.

I personally enjoyed doing a joint honours course (albeit in Classics and English rather than in English and Philosophy), mainly because I get bored easily and doing solely English or solely Philosophy or solely Classics for three years would probably have sent me slightly homicidal, as much as I love reading, writing and debate. Joint hons courses also tend to be more flexible in many respects (e.g. you're often not obliged to take the core modules that your single hons contemporaries might have to take) and the offers for these courses tend to be lower so they can prove a good backup (I didn't know this when I applied, however).

There really isn't a reputation/course debate going on here at all as this course is (to the best of my knowledge) available at a number of excellent universities, and there is nothing to stop you from applying to some English courses and some English and Philosophy courses.

ReputationRep:
    By 'lesser' university I simply meant in my opinion; Durham is a fantastic uni but not my preference (too far away).

Really I'm asking which would be better to sacrifice; the course I want to do or the University I want to go to?

ReputationRep:
    Do the course you want to do; honestly - you'll be happy at whichever university you choose - there are still some great unis that do english and philosophy - York, Nottingham, Bristol... Go for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    Really I'm asking which would be better to sacrifice; the course I want to do or the University I want to go to?
    But our point is that you don't need to sacrifice either one...
    Ultimately, though, I would say course is more important than uni.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick have an excellent philosophy and literature course that is truly integrated rather than the half and half of many joint courses.

Don't bank on being able to switch from a joint course into single English - it's often extremely difficult as good English departments tend not to have spare places.

good luck

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 10, 2007

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.