Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASNaC)
    That's nothing - my first information pack took three months to arrive (by early September I contacted by Tutor's secretary and she had another packed FedEx-ed to me, which is how I managed to get one before arriving).
    Was it actually three months in the post, or did it simply miscarry?

There is no way that mail from England should take three weeks to reach a major city in Australia. I know it wasn't lost or miscarried, because mail from the BGS consistently takes three weeks to arrive.

ReputationRep:
    This may sound stupid but at first, when they had their old website, I was not very attracted to applying there but now, as their ew website is up, I have a completely different view of the college and will definitely consider it in an application.......the power of marketing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radagasty)
    Was it actually three months in the post, or did it simply miscarry?

There is no way that mail from England should take three weeks to reach a major city in Australia. I know it wasn't lost or miscarried, because mail from the BGS consistently takes three weeks to arrive.
    I think they screwed up and sent mine by surface mail. Airmail normally takes about 2 weeks, but ocassionally longer and sometimes bigger packages just go completely missing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierwilliams)
    This may sound stupid but at first, when they had their old website, I was not very attracted to applying there but now, as their ew website is up, I have a completely different view of the college and will definitely consider it in an application.......the power of marketing!
    Very true. I think it is because many people have so little info to go on that they subconsciously form their impressions from things like the pictures on websites, or even from the degree of ease with which they are able to navigate the pages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASNaC)
    I think they screwed up and sent mine by surface mail. Airmail normally takes about 2 weeks, but ocassionally longer and sometimes bigger packages just go completely missing.
    I'm not sure what the Board of Graduate Studies does with its mail. Normally, mail takes a week to get here, and indeed I get mail from St. John's within a week, but for some inexplicable reason, mail from the BGS takes three.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldthrashbarg)
    I Thought it might be of interest (especially for those currently shopping for colleges) that the new website of St John's College is finally up. The content is only partially different but the look of it is a huge improvement.
    Well... vast improvement it certainly is, but, upon closer inspection, there are yet oodles of borken links to be resolved. I suppose this is the breaking-in period and there are still a few kinks that need to be ironed out.

ReputationRep:
    OK, this statement on the new website worries me:

"Bed linen is not provided, but the College provides pillows and a duvet."

Now, last year they certainly provided bed linen, and also washed it once a week for you. I hope this was a mistake...

** Statement taken from http://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/college_life/accommodation/

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.