How do scottish and english certificates compare? Watch

JamesR0
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hey, I live in edinburgh and I'm currently sitting highers in 6th year so won't be able to sit Advanced Highers. I was wondering how University requirements compare with scottish requirements if they are in england and don't list them for scots....

How do A2, AS, GCSE etc compare?

And some Uni's just say "A-level biology" for example, does this mean A2 or AS or what?

I've always had trouble with this and now its time to apply for stuff it would be useful to know so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, James.
Illusionary
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
For your second question - "A-level" will mean the full (6 unit) A2; if they mean AS-level (3 units) it will say "AS-level". I'm sure someone else can help re the Scottish qualifications - I took A-levels myself, so can't help there.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
They aren't comparible. They assess different things. It really depends on the university's assessment of your marks whether they let you in, there's no scheme of comparison.

If you want an idea of what they'll accept then contact the relevant department's admissions office.

(Original post by wesetters)
I thought Highers were sort of equivalent to AS levels, in which case most places will want advanced Highers.
Doesn't tend to be the case as Advanced Highers are a bit of an unknown quantity and not hugely respected yet, even in Scotland. If anything, I'd recommend most people to stick to Highers.
Vikrum
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah, what Libertin du Nord said.
Advanced Highers are obviously an advancement of Highers, but unlike in England you can go to Uni with just highers, whereas in England you do need full A-Levels (99% of the time, anyway).

There's usually a section in the prospectus that mentions the 'non standard' grade requirements or something.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
There should be one bloody exams system for the UK, take the best from both. The present situation is daft.
Josypie
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Libertin du Nord)
There should be one bloody exams system for the UK, take the best from both. The present situation is daft.
I agree, and include in that all the fecking exam boards to boot.

Revising AQA A after a typo when the exam is AQA B NO THANK YOU.
JamesR0
So are there many unis that will want advanced highers do you think? I'm just hoping that il be okay with all of my highers.... (got 4 passes and 1 D at the moment, should be able to make up the grades to get into the unis i want to go to this year)
Banana Blossom
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
most english university websites will list scottish highers in the entry requirements but if they don't just send the admissions department an email asking about the course your interested in and they'll tell you. Most places aren't terribly bothered about people having advanced highers really.
Acaila
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Depends on the individual English unis tbh. Some are really snooty and some just plain don't understand the Scottish system. (Warwick and Durham being two that seem rather dodgy with them, whereas Newcastle seemed a lot more understanding of Highers) When I applied to English unis I generally got conditionals on my Advanced highers, but I think most places would still deal with Highers. Looking at prospectuses for and getting in touch with places you're interested in is probably your best bet. What sort of unis are you looking to apply to?

(hello from Edinburgh btw!)
JamesR0
Yea, iv got all the prospectus' for stirling, dundee (those 2 are fine), cumbria(fine again), nottingham trent, lincoln, derby, glamorgan (wales), aberywystyth(wales.... sorry if i butchered the name :P) Thats about it.... trying to cut them down for open days, don't want to trek across the country all the time. Thanks for your help, i'll just email all of the english/welsh unis and see what they say.
JennLlama
  • CV Helper
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Most prospectuses I've seen for English unis gave requirements as AHs - but they were pretty much invariably exactly the same as the English A-level ones: if they were asking for ABB at A-level, they'd ask for ABB at AH too, which made me think they hadn't necessarily really thought about it too much! It seemed to be reasonable well-known among admissions staff when I was applying that Highers *are not* equivalent to AS-levels (this was 5 years ago now!) but AHs were a little bit of a mystery in some cases and they just defaulted to giving me the same offer as they'd give someone studying A-levels (one university actually wrote "A-level" in place of "Advanced Higher" in my offer!).
The best advice I could give would be to contact the admissions tutors at the universities you're interested in. The one's you've named I suspect don't have very very high grade requirements...? So they may well be happy to take you with a reasonable grade at Higher in place of a low grade at A-level. It may also be worth making sure you can explain clearly what you've studied in each of your Highers (mainly the ones which are most related to the course you're interested in). That way if they're concerned that you wouldn't have covered a specific topic without studying the subject to AH, you may be able to reassure them.
Good luck!
kasias
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I got asked for AHs but I think you should maybe send an email the way of the admissons if they don't have anything clear about SQA entry requirements. The unis I looked at did all have a bit on their websites with SQA entry requirements on, I just had to look a bit harder.
Acaila
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by JennLlama)
Most prospectuses I've seen for English unis gave requirements as AHs - but they were pretty much invariably exactly the same as the English A-level ones: if they were asking for ABB at A-level, they'd ask for ABB at AH too, which made me think they hadn't necessarily really thought about it too much! It seemed to be reasonable well-known among admissions staff when I was applying that Highers *are not* equivalent to AS-levels (this was 5 years ago now!) but AHs were a little bit of a mystery in some cases and they just defaulted to giving me the same offer as they'd give someone studying A-levels (one university actually wrote "A-level" in place of "Advanced Higher" in my offer!).
The best advice I could give would be to contact the admissions tutors at the universities you're interested in. The one's you've named I suspect don't have very very high grade requirements...? So they may well be happy to take you with a reasonable grade at Higher in place of a low grade at A-level. It may also be worth making sure you can explain clearly what you've studied in each of your Highers (mainly the ones which are most related to the course you're interested in). That way if they're concerned that you wouldn't have covered a specific topic without studying the subject to AH, you may be able to reassure them.
Good luck!
Pretty much spot on from my experience. (right down to the Alevel on the offer :rolleyes: )
I've heard, but this is only anecdotal, that Welsh unis aren't so bad at understanding Highers.
ninja-lewis
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
According to my brother's school, more and more English universities are requiring AH grades.

Personally I think AH is tougher than A-level and IIRC Oxbridge agreed as they accepted slightly lower AH grades e.g. AAB at AH compared to AAA at A-Level (at least that was the situation a couple of years ago).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
28.26%
No - I got the required grades (109)
59.24%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.5%

Watched Threads