Turn on thread page Beta

My computer is being an arse... watch

ReputationRep:
    It keep randomly totally freezing up. Mouse stops moving, doesn't respond to any keystrokes, nada. Ctrl Alt Del doesn't work; the only way to fix it is to switch it off at the wall and on again, which I'm more than aware isn't exactly good for the poor thing. It's been doing this for a while now, I think since I got my new network card (because the old one wasn't working) but I can't be sure that's the trigger for it. Sometimes it will work fine for over an hour; other times it'll freeze before it's even finished booting up. Anyone got any ideas?

I'm not sure of much detail on the specs of the thing - it's a custom-built PC, about 4 years old, running Windows XP, and that's about all I know.

ReputationRep:
    if you think it's the network card go to the device manager and disable it. use the computer for a while... if the hang-ups disappear then you know where the problem lies and we tech monkeys can start thinking of a cure

device manager is in control panel > system > hardware > device manager i think

ReputationRep:
    But like OMG!!!!11 How will I live without teh interweb?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    But like OMG!!!!11 How will I live without teh interweb?
    got an essay that needs typing?

ReputationRep:
    you could always look on "teh inarwebs" for the latest driver for your net card. might fix it

ReputationRep:
    In device manager, make sure that there are no devices with a yellow ? by them. And as Choad says, try updating the drivers for it.

ReputationRep:
    Trying doing a system restore to when the machine was working fine, it probably won't solve the problem long term and it might not work at all if it is a hardware fault but you have nothing to loose, you won;t loose any work by doing it.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like its trying to get signal from your wireless router, i use to get problems too. Yeah try disable it and see if thats causing the problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slugonamission)
    In device manager, make sure that there are no devices with a yellow ? by them. And as Choad says, try updating the drivers for it.
    Ok, I'll look for this. And I'll get my pet computer geek (housemate, will fix computers for food) to see if the drivers are right - they should be; he installed them only a few months ago...

ReputationRep:
    Did the freezes coincide with the network card installation? If not, I doubt it's the network card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Did the freezes coincide with the network card installation? If not, I doubt it's the network card.
    I don't recall it doing this thing before I got the new wireless card - it's always been pretty reliable. The old wireless card didn't work (would see the network was available but couldn't connect to it) but the computer seemed to work the vast majority of the time.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, if possible get him to update the drivers. If that doesn't help, leave it running over night with the wireless card disabled (doing something). If that helps, its the card. If not it's something else.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I disabled the wireless card last night and left it faffing with defragging, virus scanning etc, and it was fine, so I suspect this may be the problem. However, the drivers for the wireless card are not the standard ones that come on the CD with it - they're some fancy thing he says is better (I'm not convinced any more...) Would it be possible for me to find it, get rid of it and install the ones on the CD? Or is there too much of a chance that an idiot like me would screw it up one way or another?

ReputationRep:
    can you tell us what card it is?

ReputationRep:
    This one. He recommended it as being more reliable, but I'm not convinced...

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, reviews from the people who've bought it on the link you posted suggest it's a common problem. Also, the hardware's generally been panned ... not sure what your housemate was thinking - upset him recently? :p:

The latest drivers can be found here. Loading the driver straight from the CD and *not* installing Netgear's own wireless utility has been suggested as a solution to problems similar to yours.

hth,

fais

ReputationRep:
    Yep, what he said. Try the driver from the CD; replace card if it doesn't work.

I'd suggest using a wired one instead of a wireless one for standard desktop useage! (just from a reliability/ease of use point of view)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but my room is ~15m from the router, and I don't currently have a cable that long. If all this doesn't work though, I'm considering getting one.

If I put the CD thing in, will the driver on that cause problems with the one that's already installed?

ReputationRep:
    Ditto the wired, I couldn't stand to use a desktop on wireless.

Anyway, i'm not entirely sure what your housemate installed instead of the Netgear drivers (possibly some generic family ones) but installing the ones from the CD / newest ones from the Netgear website is the next thing to do.

But, if it was working for months, i'd be inclinded to say its probably a hardware fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PieMaster)
    Ditto the wired, I couldn't stand to use a desktop on wireless.

Anyway, i'm not entirely sure what your housemate installed instead of the Netgear drivers (possibly some generic family ones) but installing the ones from the CD / newest ones from the Netgear website is the next thing to do.

But, if it was working for months, i'd be inclinded to say its probably a hardware fault.
    Well, the computer itself has worked fine for 4 years, but the first wireless network card (a belkin one of some description, I'm afraid I've forgotten the exact specs) didn't like connecting to the internet very much - but didn't screw up the computer. This new one is better at connecting to the internet but breaks my computer.

Sooo...I want to try playing with the drivers if you lovely people will tell me what to do (I'm going to have to rep lots of people after this!) If I put the Netgear CD in, will it override whatever driver he's installed? Or will it make my computer even more crazy? I'm somewhat reluctant to ask for his help again as a)I feel bad doing it too much and b)I'm worried he won't believe me/will try and fix it in a fancy way that makes it worse.

If this doesn't work, then I'm just going to buy a big long cable. It's gotta be cheaper than another new wireless card...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.