Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    [insert generic 'going to university' story]

And here I am. Budget is... ahem, conservative. I'll happily spend anything up to around £600-700, if I have to, but I'd really rather not go above £500, and around £350-400 would be great. Vista is really (really really) not necessary, but I guess I don't mind it; won't be using it for gaming, most likely all it'll be used for is to run office, media player, firefox and MSN, though I might install photoshop on it if I'm feeling perverse. Standard 60gb+ hard disk required, for the obvious reasons. Would like it to last four years. Battery life, um, whatever, sensible.

Truth be told, all I want is a cheap functioning laptop that I'll be able to plug into a router and run the obvious basic programs on without having to wait years for it, and that won't die on me. Don't care whether it's Vista or 98SE as long as it's functioning. And I don't want to be ripped off. I shall add that I found this on dabs and liked the look of it, but I have no idea what laptops cost 'cause I detest the things.

(Oh, and no bloody Macs. )

Suggestions please! Fankoo.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Ahem, bump.

ReputationRep:
    well, the Dell Vostro range is always an option.
    I'll see what i can find for ~£500

EDIT: for £530 (includes VAT+delivery)

Dell Vostro 1400
    Components
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5470 Processor (1.6GHz,800MHz,2MB L2 cache)
    Genuine Windows Vista® Business - English
    3 Year Business Hardware Support - Next Business Day
    14.1" Wide Screen WXGA (1280x800) TFT Display
    Matte Jet Black without Camera
    2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024)
    120GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive
    Integrated Intel® Graphic Media Accelerator X3100 with 65 watt AC adapter
    Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software
    Primary 6-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (56 WHr)

ReputationRep:
    I just bought a Toshiba Portege M100 Ultraportable for £161.45.... (60gb hd, 512ram, xp, wireless, etc etc - its running xp/gentoo/freebsd quite happily)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Oli: thanks for the reply, little bit more than I was willing to spend but I'll keep it in mind.

(Original post by samba)
    I just bought a Toshiba Portege M100 Ultraportable for £161.45.... (60gb hd, 512ram, xp, wireless, etc etc - its running xp/gentoo/freebsd quite happily)
    Erm, where? All the sites I can find it on say it costs £1000 or is discontinued (or both). And I'd really rather not buy second-hand stuff...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Sigh.

Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you go for a basic vostro set up? Very good laptops and great deals for the specifications.

Otherwise, you really out to check out www.laptopsdirect.co.uk as they have some great student deals going on.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Deus)
    Why don't you go for a basic vostro set up? Very good laptops and great deals for the specifications.

Otherwise, you really out to check out www.laptopsdirect.co.uk as they have some great student deals going on.
    Great deals? Even on the basic model, the VAT and shipping ends up costing me as much as the laptop itself. I didn't think that was too great myself. I mean, I might be wrong, but they seem to be great prices without VAT/shipping and just about acceptable prices with them.

Cheers, I'll have a look at laptopsdirect.co.uk, but I really don't know what I'm looking for, that's why I wanted recommendations. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Well, I suggest you buy a very cheap model. Anything on there will be perfectly adequate for what you need. The more expensive laptops are generally set up for multimedia and graphics, and/or gaming. So if you aren't going to be gaming, then you can get a cheaper set up. Honestly, anything on the market right now will be fine for working needs.

ReputationRep:
    If you're just looking for something cheap and cheerful, then this Dell Vostro 1000 - £340.82 should fit your bill perfectly.

It's obviously not the most powerful specced laptop out there, but it's probably the best you can get at this pricepoint. The dual core processor is capable enough to run all the usual Office, MSN, Firefox, etc gubbins that you need, and would be fine for Photoshop (so long as you're not playing about with massive 200MB, tens of layers files! ) as well. The hard drive is nice and spacious, so you can store loads of music, movies, etc on it. There's a free battery upgrade to a 6-Cell, which will last longer between charges if you're planning on using the laptop out and about now and again, eg. in the library etc, but can't be bothered to take your power adaptor with you. Still, the laptop isn't exactly very portable, but it'll be fine for you if you plan on mainly using it in your room.

You also get the choice of having it loaded with Vista Business or XP Professional; I'd personally choose Vista Business as it's more secure, but XP Pro would run far more swiftly on it, as it isn't such a RAM-intensive OS. Still, RAM is always easy to upgrade, and cheap these days - upgrading the RAM in the laptop to 2GB would cost £61.09 from Crucial if you ever felt that the system was feeling a little sluggish when using a number of programs at the same time, sometime during the future, and this price will only get cheaper over time.

Hope that this helps. Just ask if you have any more questions.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Alright, thanks for that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 2, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.