Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much as it says on the tin...

ReputationRep:
    For medicine?:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but i'd most likely only continue Bio, chem and r.s. to a2!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by JordanSHowarth)
    Yeah, but i'd most likely only continue Bio, chem and r.s. to a2!
    As long as you have two science based subjects at A2 and a further respected subject, for most if not all universities, this would suffice. As a fourth AS level however, it might be a good idea to take physics/maths/further maths.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, i'm considering physics - but i'll only study this to AS!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yes, i'm considering physics - but i'll only study this to AS!
    My understanding is, and having consulted my UCL prospectus (lol), A2 Biology, Chemistry and RS alongside AS Physics would be fine. It's good to have an essay subject anyway, it'll give you more options if you did later decide medicine isn't for you.

ReputationRep:
    ...Like becoming a priest

Mr deeds, I assume your applying for medicine. Just a qwick quiery, if you wouldn't mind:cool:

The entry requirments on UCAS for medical school, seem quite low for many (GCSE's). Are these entry requirments realistic? I mean some say B grades would suffice; do B grade GCSE students actualy get awarded places, providing A-levels etc are up to scratch?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    ...Like becoming a priest

Mr deeds, I assume your applying for medicine. Just a qwick quiery, if you wouldn't mind:cool:

The entry requirments on UCAS for medical school, seem quite low for many (GCSE's). Are these entry requirments realistic? I mean some say B grades would suffice; do B grade GCSE students actualy get awarded places, providing A-levels etc are up to scratch?
    I'm applying for Law, but Medicine was something I considered and I have experience of it from within my family. The minimum entry requirement at GCSE for most universities is 5C's, for medicine they tend to ask for at least B in Maths, English and Science; but sometimes better in the latter. If you meet these requirements then of course you stand a chance, but you have to remember that for Medicine, competition is intense. The better your GCSE grades, the better your overall application and therefore the more likely you are to succeed. If your GCSE grades are not perfect, it's not the be all and end all, work hard at AS, get excellent A2 predictions and write a good PS. You just need to search this forum to realise that your GCSE grades play only a minor part in the selection process.

ReputationRep:
    Right, let me be frank. I achieved AABBBBBBCC at GCSE - I was devistated. I still have a burning desire from within to persue medicine. Be honest, do I stand a chance?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You don't have to be Frank, be Jordan if it's easier, lol, that was poor. Honestly... yes! Your GCSE grades would meet the minimum entrance requirements for most universities; even some of the most renowned, it would help however if the CC wasn't for a core subject (Maths, English or Science). Like I've said, work hard next year and if you can prove your desire and enthusiasm to the admission tutor then this will undoubtedly go a long way. On a whole, your GCSE grades are not at all bad; they might not be what you had expected but they're still good. The competition is tough so between now and then do all that you can to strengthen your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Deeds)
    You don't have to be Frank, be Jordan if it's easier, lol, that was poor. Honestly... yes! Your GCSE grades would meet the minimum entrance requirements for most universities; even some of the most renowned, it would help however if the CC wasn't for a core subject (Maths, English or Science). Like I've said, work hard next year and if you can prove your desire and enthusiasm to the admission tutor then this will undoubtedly go a long way. On a whole, your GCSE grades are not at all bad; the might not be what you expected but they're still good, the competition is tough so between now and then do all that you can to strengthen your application.
    No my C's are in literature and Geography. Man, you've brightend up my day, or night:p: Thank you so much! DO you have any experience in any sciency subjects and if so what spec? Rep's comming your way.

Oh, how come you never hear of a doctor with GCSE's at grade B's?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    No my C's are in literature and Geography. Man, you've brightend up my day, or night:p: Thank you so much! DO you have any experience in any sciency subjects and if so what spec? Rep's comming your way.

Oh, how come you never hear of a doctor with GCSE's at grade B's?
    You do, I have relatives in the medical profession who've achieved B's at O-Level, but of course, that was so much "more difficult" :rolleyes:!

Anyway, if Medicine is something you want to do, don't be put off just because of what are perfectly acceptable GCSE grades, they meet the minimum entry requirement for UCL so they can't be all that bad! I took History, English, French and Business Studies so unfortunately I can't really be of much help there. Anyway, good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much. You've been a great help!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    No problem, thank you for the rep!

ReputationRep:
    how can general studies be respected if its on some universities blacklists?

ReputationRep:
    General Studies isn't respected. This thread is about RELIGIOUS Studies!

ReputationRep:
    now that makes sense! this is what happens when you dont read the title properly... and now im going to disappear

ReputationRep:
    RS is considered to be an academic, traditional subject, and does not feature on any so-called “blacklist”. It provides a strong skill set, including the ability to evaluate different viewpoints and argue a case. The subject is wide-ranging and draws on many other disciplines (e.g. origins of the universe ~ Science, ethics and morality ~ Law, the problem of evil ~ Philosophy).

ReputationRep:
    Go for RS if it's what you want to do

You probably know this already, but just remember to get some work experience/voluntary work for med - it's really helpful for making sure that it's for you/seeing that the reality isn't like Holby City/improving your teamwork skills etc etc/giving you stuff to write on your personal statement And as for the fourth AS, don't feel pressurised into taking Maths or Physics if you don't enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible tos tudy medicine with AABBBBBBCC at GCSE? I mean, do you know anybody. How common is it?

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.