The Student Room Group

AS-A2 Choices/Decisions- I need help.University Places etc

Right I apologise, as there have been a lot of threads like this, but I am in need of your help. Basically from my previous thread you will have gathered that I did worse than expected on my AS. I gained the following grades. And as you can see my GCSE were good I feel.

B-French UMS 239 1)83/105 2) 70/90 3) 86/105
B-German UM 233 1)73/105 2) 83/90 3) 77/105
B-English Language UMS 226
B-Biology UMS 214 (dropping this so happy with the b!)
(these grades have all been cashed by the school)

Which modules out of the first subjects would you take resits in? Looking for a bit of advice on that.

But more importantly I'm looking to apply for Oxford, however with these grades I'm presuming I don't stand a chance.

I know I can get the first three up to an A. So what do I need to put on my UCAS application i.e someone said I could put grades pending. Or shall I just apply with these grades and hope for the best.

I'm also looking to apply to St.Andrews,Edinburgh, Warwick and Bristol to do French and Italian. Do I have a chance at getting into these aswell, baring in mind the grades wanted are ABB.

If anyone can give me any general advice about how to approach resits and the ucas application that would be awesome.

Thanks for any help. I really need it:tsr2:

Michael
Reply 1
You could leave your grades as pending, but unless your school has a policy of doing this, it looks kind of suspicious. If you're predicted AAA at A2 and all other aspects of your application are sound then of course you still stand a chace at the top universities. If I were you I'd resit your worst modules, either 1 and 3 in both German and French. Whichever you feel you could improve most in, or both. Personally, I did French and I'm resitting the listening, whilst my reading wasn't brilliant I know I can't improve upon it. Writing a brilliant personal statement portraying lots of enthusiasm for your chosen degree is probably the best thing you could do, alongside working hard next year and for Oxbridge; having a damn good interview. Good luck.
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice... appreciated. Any other advice guys?
Reply 3
Which modules did you find really hard?
Reply 4
Judging by my results I struggled with the reading and listening in german, so I should resit that.

I was suprised at my low speaking grade, as well for German, as my teacher thought that it would receive. Maybe worth considering a remark.

If I got 1 A it would mean I would meet the typical entry requirement of warwick and st.andrew etc.
Reply 5
bump!
Reply 6
So is it a realistic aim to apply for Unis wanting ABB i.e St.Andrews?

Any further help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Michael
If your school has cashed them in you do not have the option to declare them as pending, even if you re-sit any modules. Any re-sits would improve your A2 grades but not your AS grades.
Reply 8
Good bloke
If your school has cashed them in you do not have the option to declare them as pending, even if you re-sit any modules. Any re-sits would improve your A2 grades but not your AS grades.

The OP still has the option of declining the grade (then resitting) and you therefore leave it as pending on the UCAS application; self-explanatory bearing in mind the grade is potentially subject to change. It's all explained here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=283440.
Reply 9
It depends - some schools cash them in straight away, which means even though the deadline isn't past you won't be able to put pending on the form.

If you feel you did worse than expected then resit, if you feel your performance was on par with what you expected/predicted then leave them as they are, but theres a chance you won't make the offer.

If you apply for uni's like that, apply for a few with lower offers too to keep your options open, if resits don't improve your grades for example.

Latest