I took a DNA test? Am I a guy or a girl? Am I mixed or black? Watch

Dmj23
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Am I a guy or a girl?

I took a DNA test and found on my raw data that my DNA results had a y chromosome with 127 results and the first two results were related to genes found in women with Swyer's syndrome.

https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/swyer-syndrome

My karytope is different though from swyer's syndrome. I have xxy chromosomes like men with klinefelter's syndrome but like swyer's syndrome I was born with female genitals a vagina cervix uterus and fallopian tubes but unlike both of these conditions I also have ovaries because the only functional chromosomes I have are my two x chromosomes. So basically I have physically abnormality from a xx female besides a dysfunctional y chromosome which actually has more root to do with my imbalance which cause a ton of learning disabilities in my youth. And also caused my precocious puberty possibly and also the fact that a smaller uterus is more typical among women with swyer's syndrome but other than that I'm typically fertile.

On the other hand I've always felt more male and felt kind of trapped in a women's body which realistically I kind of am because had my y chromosome been functional I'd be just a guy with klinefelter's syndrome. I've heard some people with swyer's syndrome identify as female but others actually feel trapped because of the defect in the y chromosome. That's how I felt even way before I found this out at all.

Secondly am I black or mixed?

I was raised in an African American family. So I knew my heritage was originated from west Africa. People always thought i was ethiopian or mixed with egyptian or something maghrebi some would perceive me to be southern north african descent and this came from the natices of these places which made me want to get the dna test to begin with.

When I took the DNA test I got Nigeria 46% which fairly unusually high for an African american 14℅ ivory coast fairly low for the typical African american and 10℅ Mali and 7% Togo/Benin. And 5% Senegalese. And 5% Cameroon. A around 2-3% elsewhere in Africa outside of west Africa and 9% Europe 1% native american. When I looked up historically the major slave populations were Igbo akan madenka peoples etc.which are usually purely west african heritage.

But when I did test with my raw data it said mostly Hausa/Fulani akan and being and on African ancestry I also got Tuareg. Tuaregs are native to Mali and my dad's family is malian and they're of Berber descent proto specifically. I take after my father more than my mother.

And I had north African heritage. At around 1/4 north african I believe that's protoberber heritage which is processed as subsaharan african heritage as oppose to north african heritage on ancestrydna and african ancestry DNA but places like gedmatch and dnaland call it north african. This is what's confusing because if that is truly the case I'd be at the least 33% admixture. And at the most 47% admixture of Berber and European heritage. Which means I'm 53-67% subsaharan west african ancestry due to the tribes I might be connected to. Basically i would be breaking it down 53-67% subsaharan west african heritage 21-28% berber/protoberber/north african and 9-16% european according to both ancestrydna and gedmatch. So would this make me mixed or black?
Dmj23
Rep:
?
Anyone? Advice?
john2054
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dmj23)
Am I a guy or a girl?

I took a DNA test and found on my raw data that my DNA results had a y chromosome with 127 results and the first two results were related to genes found in women with Swyer's syndrome.

My karytope is different though from swyer's syndrome. I have xxy chromosomes like men with klinefelter's syndrome but like swyer's syndrome I was born with female genitals a vagina cervix uterus and fallopian tubes but unlike both of these conditions I also have ovaries because the only functional chromosomes I have are my two x chromosomes. So basically I have physically abnormality from a xx female besides a dysfunctional y chromosome which actually has more root to do with my imbalance which cause a ton of learning disabilities in my youth. And also caused my precocious puberty possibly and also the fact that a smaller uterus is more typical among women with swyer's syndrome but other than that I'm typically fertile.

On the other hand I've always felt more male and felt kind of trapped in a women's body which realistically I kind of am because had my y chromosome been functional I'd be just a guy with klinefelter's syndrome. I've heard some people with swyer's syndrome identify as female but others actually feel trapped because of the defect in the y chromosome. That's how I felt even way before I found this out at all.

I was raised in an African American family. So I knew my heritage was originated from west Africa. People always thought i was ethiopian or mixed with egyptian or something maghrebi some would perceive me to be southern north african descent and this came from the natices of these places which made me want to get the dna test to begin with.

When I took the DNA test I got Nigeria 46% which fairly unusually high for an African american 14℅ ivory coast fairly low for the typical African american and 10℅ Mali and 7% Togo/Benin. And 5% Senegalese. And 5% Cameroon. A around 2-3% elsewhere in Africa outside of west Africa and 9% Europe 1% native american. When I looked up historically the major slave populations were Igbo akan madenka peoples etc.which are usually purely west african heritage.

But when I did test with my raw data it said mostly Hausa/Fulani akan and being and on African ancestry I also got Tuareg. Tuaregs are native to Mali and my dad's family is malian and they're of Berber descent proto specifically. I take after my father more than my mother.

And I had north African heritage. At around 1/4 north african I believe that's protoberber heritage which is processed as subsaharan african heritage as oppose to north african heritage on ancestrydna and african ancestry DNA but places like gedmatch and dnaland call it north african. This is what's confusing because if that is truly the case I'd be at the least 33% admixture. And at the most 47% admixture of Berber and European heritage. Which means I'm 53-67% subsaharan west african ancestry due to the tribes I might be connected to. So would this make me mixed or black?
Isn't it fairly obvious when you have a shower?
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dmj23)
Am I a guy or a girl?

And I had north African heritage. At around 1/4 north african I believe that's protoberber heritage which is processed as subsaharan african heritage as oppose to north african heritage on ancestrydna and african ancestry DNA but places like gedmatch and dnaland call it north african. This is what's confusing because if that is truly the case I'd be at the least 33% admixture. And at the most 47% admixture of Berber and European heritage. Which means I'm 53-67% subsaharan west african ancestry due to the tribes I might be connected to. So would this make me mixed or black?
I'm not reading all this but if you have female genitals aren't you basically a female? What colour is your skin?
john2054
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dmj23)
Am I a guy or a girl?

I think you are a black woman possibly?
Dmj23
Rep:
?
(Original post by john2054)
Isn't it fairly obvious when you have a shower?
I already explained how swyer's syndrome works. They are genetically male don't have ovaries or testicles so they don't have a male or female puberty and are born with a vagina. So they are male on some level female on others and neither in other ways. For me I have xxy chromosomes so I have an intersex chromosomal genome. I do have ovaries though and a female phenotype outwardly so I did have a female puberty.

The thing is with swyer's syndrome it affects the y chromosome and renders the y chromosomal sry genes in affective which leads people like myself in the female direction. If I had a fully functional xxy karyotype I'd be a man with klinefelter's syndrome which is predominantly male. Which is confusing because with the condition I'd be almost fully male. While now I'm only male leaning on the genetic level
john2054
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dmj23)
I already explained how swyer's syndrome works. They are genetically male don't have ovaries or testicles so they don't have a male or female puberty and are born with a vagina. So they are male on some level female on others and neither in other ways. For me I have xxy chromosomes so I have an intersex chromosomal genome. I do have ovaries though and a female phenotype outwardly so I did have a female puberty.

The thing is with swyer's syndrome it affects the y chromosome and renders the y chromosomal sry genes in affective which leads people like myself in the female direction. If I had a fully functional xxy karyotype I'd be a man with klinefelter's syndrome which is predominantly male. Which is confusing because with the condition I'd be almost fully male. While now I'm only male leaning on the genetic level
Sorry but i don't buy this at all. You sound like a black/mixed race woman to me, who is having identity issues. Don't worry, people often tell me that they think that i am secretly a woman. Try to ignore them. Just find the right person, whether he is a he or a she, and be happy. But if you want kids of your own, it will have to be a he okay?

Good luck! x
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
lol thread title reminds me of the first verse of this:

Dmj23
Rep:
?
(Original post by AngryRedhead)
I'm not reading all this but if you have female genitals aren't you basically a female? What colour is your skin?
Not in the case of swyer's syndrome no. Any guy could be born with a vagina if their sry genes are deleted off the y chromosome. That's what happened for me. Had I been born with a fully functioning y chromosome I'd have been identifiably male at birth and maybe at puberty there would have been a detection that I had an extra x chromosome.
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dmj23)
Not in the case of swyer's syndrome no. Any guy could be born with a vagina if their sry genes are deleted off the y chromosome. That's what happened for me. Had I been born with a fully functioning y chromosome I'd have been identifiably male at birth and maybe at puberty there would have been a detection that I had an extra x chromosome.
Okay, so it sounds like you are a haemophrodite then? Do you have the body of a male but a vagina then? Do you have developed breasts?
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Am I, a guy or girl, am I mixed, or black
CONTROVERSY
Dmj23
Rep:
?
rs104894968 24 2655442 A A

http://www.malacards.org/card/46xy_sex_reversal_1

Sorry but i don't buy this at all. You sound like a black/mixed race woman to me, who is having identity issues. Don't worry, people often tell me that they think that i am secretly a woman. Try to ignore them. Just find the right person, whether he is a he or a she, and be happy. But if you want kids of your own, it will have to be a he okay?

Good luck! x
That's the gene that I have that's in common Swyer's syndrome.

You're simply stereotyping because you can't fathom the conditio n I have. If you don't have the answer its fine you don't need to answer if you don't have an answer.

And I like men. But I can't get pregnant my uterus is too small etc... So educate yourself before you post
Dmj23
Rep:
?
Okay, so it sounds like you are a haemophrodite then? Do you have the body of a male but a vagina then? Do you have developed breasts?
Only masculine features I have is a small uterus which comes with the condition I have narrow hips and I grew more body hair than the average woman did going through puberty. My chromosomes though show xxy. I developed my breasts and stuff but at an abnormal age. Im posting links but they have to be approved. I had puberty at 7. And they said the case where it was xxy swyer's syndrome where a girl had a small uterus and precocious puberty at 7. That's about it.

My genome is male intersex and I am technically intersex for that reason but its confusing because if my y functioned I would be predominant male but now I'm predominantly female because of the problem with my y chromosome
Dmj23
Rep:
?
BTW you asked my skin color I know medically its a skin type 4. I'm not white. I know I'm not white I am just not sure I'm mixed or not
Dmj23
Rep:
?
http://www.ashg.org/2009meeting/abst...ext/f10337.htm
Dmj23
Rep:
?
Sorry but i don't buy this at all. You sound like a black/mixed race woman to me, who is having identity issues. Don't worry, people often tell me that they think that i am secretly a woman. Try to ignore them. Just find the right person, whether he is a he or a she, and be happy. But if you want kids of your own, it uwill have to be a he okay?

Good luck! x
I gave you links showing how my DNA results have the genes for swyer's syndrome. I dont like women and im not transgender. This is a real condition.

I actually have Two results that are related to Swyer's syndrome.
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dmj23)
Only masculine features I have is a small uterus which comes with the condition I have narrow hips and I grew more body hair than the average woman did going through puberty. My chromosomes though show xxy. I developed my breasts and stuff but at an abnormal age. Im posting links but they have to be approved. I had puberty at 7. And they said the case where it was xxy swyer's syndrome where a girl had a small uterus and precocious puberty at 7. That's about it.

My genome is male intersex and I am technically intersex for that reason but its confusing because if my y functioned I would be predominant male but now I'm predominantly female because of the problem with my y chromosome
You sound like a mixed female to me personally. You did ask for our opinion though
Asklepios
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Biologically, I'd say you're female.
Dmj23
Rep:
?
You sound like a mixed female to me personally. You did ask for our opinion though
On the racial side of it its more inconclusive to me because I thought all west Africans are the same race but I Lear ed something totally new about sahelian people and how many are mixed with north African and then also its odd that Tuareg and Hausa/Fulani are tribes that I have gotten because the trade talks seldomly about Fulani's and the Hausa and very rarely about tuaregs being amount ng the slave populations. My father's side though is from Louisiana which where Malian slaves went often but usually madenka. But African ancestry and the other two pointed to the other two.
Dmj23
Rep:
?
(Original post by Asklepios)
Biologically, I'd say you're female.
Well biologically I'm actually intersex as I have male chromosomes.

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/le...-male-intersex
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (208)
23.64%
Pop (218)
24.77%
Jazz (33)
3.75%
Classical (49)
5.57%
Hip-Hop (169)
19.2%