?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
N/A
Last edited by peachie_; 8 months ago
bulgylau
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by peachie_)
So my step dad, after having a nice little rummage around my stuff in my room, accidentally came upon a zippo lighter of mine. He told my mum, who got suspicious straight away, and asked me if I smoke. I denied it, because if I admitted I do she would go crazy, and lock me in the house or something. I told her that it was just for candles and incense sticks, and then my step dad decided to be all smart and say that you cannot light candles with zippo lighters because they're apparently too big and all the druggies us them (I'm sorry-what???) so anyway, now my mother heavily suspects I smoke. This is just another excuse for my step dad to go through my things again, as he said he definitely would. I'm not sure what to do. I'm 17 years old, and it's not like I have a major addiction. I smoke maybe 2-3 a day, which calm me down while I get through my 4 A Levels and extra AS Level. Cigarettes honestly help to calm my nerves, as I often get incredibly stressed. Does anyone have any advice on what to do??
i'm sorry, but just quit. chuck the cigarettes away, and don't buy anymore

saves the hassle of constantly worrying that you'll be found out
saves your health tbh
u say you're not addicted now, BUT idk what'll happen in a couple of months time.

best just to nip it in the bud
peachie_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
(Original post by homeland.lsw)
i'm sorry, but just quit. chuck the cigarettes away, and don't buy anymore

saves the hassle of constantly worrying that you'll be found out
saves your health tbh
u say you're not addicted now, BUT idk what'll happen in a couple of months time.

best just to nip it in the bud
I know that would probably be the best but I really do enjoy my morning and afternoon cigarette, I wasn't planning on quitting as they have become little perks of my day. A lot of people do just three A Levels, I do almost 5, so I have a full five days of school with a hell of a load of coursework and revision to come with it, as well as working at a cafe every weekend. In the morning I always have a cigarette with my coffee, and in the afternoon, it just helps me get along without completely having a meltdown over everything. I've been doing this for around half a year, I've never felt the need for more cigarettes, it's never really escalated at all
JavaScriptMaster
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So my step dad, after having a nice little rummage around my stuff in my room, accidentally came upon a zippo lighter of mine. He told my mum, who got suspicious straight away, and asked me if I smoke. I denied it, because if I admitted I do she would go crazy, and lock me in the house or something. I told her that it was just for candles and incense sticks, and then my step dad decided to be all smart and say that you cannot light candles with zippo lighters because they're apparently too big and all the druggies us them (I'm sorry-what???) so anyway, now my mother heavily suspects I smoke. This is just another excuse for my step dad to go through my things again, as he said he definitely would. I'm not sure what to do. I'm 17 years old, and it's not like I have a major addiction. I smoke maybe 2-3 a day, which calm me down while I get through my 4 A Levels and extra AS Level. Cigarettes honestly help to calm my nerves, as I often get incredibly stressed. Does anyone have any advice on what to do??
Lol once my mum was cleaning my room and found a massive stash of smoke-related stuff and she told me that she would show it to my dad when he got home so I freaked out so badly I ran away from home for a week which was an over-reaction in hindsight, when I got back we just had a serious talk it was nice and civil and my dad asked me to promise to never smoke again (a promise which I swiftly broke)...

At least you have the privilege of a step-dad who you can slightly deny the authority from, the way I see it you have 3 options:

1) Actually quit smoking... obviously the sensible choice, but hey we're all subject to make stupid decisions so if you really don't wanna stop then don't. However this will get your parents off your back and supposedly, it's good for your health and finances

2) Pretend to quit smoking... Pretty simple this, but it requires a bit of craftiness. All you have to do is tell your parents (and maybe some peers) that you no longer smoke, and how will they believe you? Cover up your tracks EVERYWEHRE. Have a breath mint and hand sanitiser on you at all times and this goes without saying, but don't let anyone see you smoke!

3) DGAF... Now if you're ready to take on a challenge and stand up to your stepdad then why not just carry on smoking and tell him you just don't give a f.... You might have to battle it out at first, but eventually he will accept the fact that you've changed and your not a little girl anymore and the terms are different

Now I've been smoking since about your age and I'm 22 if I could make an honest recommendation then go for option 1, I know it's hard but you'll thank yourself many years down the line. Smoking becomes a deep part of your lifestyle the more you carry it on and I know you've heard this a million times but seriously, quit while your ahead
bulgylau
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
I know that would probably be the best but I really do enjoy my morning and afternoon cigarette, I wasn't planning on quitting as they have become little perks of my day. A lot of people do just three A Levels, I do almost 5, so I have a full five days of school with a hell of a load of coursework and revision to come with it, as well as working at a cafe every weekend. In the morning I always have a cigarette with my coffee, and in the afternoon, it just helps me get along without completely having a meltdown over everything. I've been doing this for around half a year, I've never felt the need for more cigarettes, it's never really escalated at all
you don't smoke to show off or anything? keep it private? don't smoke in front of friends?
idk i don't really have a problem with smokers. i've smoked numerous times before (always trying it out )

but there are other ways to relieve stress- art, exercise, music. doesn't have to be smoking.
but i suppose if you must continue, do what javascriptmaster said- well the second option anyway
l'etranger
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Mine just wouldn't care, but I don't smoke anyway.
peachie_
Rep:
?
(Original post by JavaScriptMaster)
Lol once my mum was cleaning my room and found a massive stash of smoke-related stuff and she told me that she would show it to my dad when he got home so I freaked out so badly I ran away from home for a week which was an over-reaction in hindsight, when I got back we just had a serious talk it was nice and civil and my dad asked me to promise to never smoke again (a promise which I swiftly broke)...

At least you have the privilege of a step-dad who you can slightly deny the authority from, the way I see it you have 3 options:

1) Actually quit smoking... obviously the sensible choice, but hey we're all subject to make stupid decisions so if you really don't wanna stop then don't. However this will get your parents off your back and supposedly, it's good for your health and finances

2) Pretend to quit smoking... Pretty simple this, but it requires a bit of craftiness. All you have to do is tell your parents (and maybe some peers) that you no longer smoke, and how will they believe you? Cover up your tracks EVERYWEHRE. Have a breath mint and hand sanitiser on you at all times and this goes without saying, but don't let anyone see you smoke!

3) DGAF... Now if you're ready to take on a challenge and stand up to your stepdad then why not just carry on smoking and tell him you just don't give a f.... You might have to battle it out at first, but eventually he will accept the fact that you've changed and your not a little girl anymore and the terms are different

Now I've been smoking since about your age and I'm 22 if I could make an honest recommendation then go for option 1, I know it's hard but you'll thank yourself many years down the line. Smoking becomes a deep part of your lifestyle the more you carry it on and I know you've heard this a million times but seriously, quit while your ahead
Pretty great advice, thank you knowing me, if I had a family of relatively sane people I would just tell them and tell my mum that I would cut down to one a day and then quit, but it was partially because of my family that I started smoking anyway. So I don't have time to get into all the depressing stuff about my awful family relationships, but it was the mixture of school making me take on so many A Levels as well as family ****, my morning cigarette with coffee makes me feel almost great about my day, and at the minute I'm not at a stage where I'm worried for my health. Honestly if my parents found out fully that I smoke I would probably run away too, but at the minute I really can't resort to that
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
Smoking is disgusting and so unattractive
I think you're just feeling sorry for yourself. Get over it. There's thousands of students out there doing 5 full a-levels on if not more on top of work and they're not dying to become a chimney.
I did 4 A-levels, held two part-time jobs down and, and didn't feel the need to smoke once, and still managed to bang out A*A*AA (Maths, FM, Economics & Physics), you're genuinely fooling yourself if you genuinely believe it's helping with your 'stress'.
The 'stress' that you're relieving is actually the crave for Nicotine within your brain that you're just making worse.

Stop wondering what your parents will do if you smoke, and just quit that horrible habit. Every time you puff on a fag, you're just digging a bigger hole. You can tell yourself you're not addicted, but its damn obvious you are if you have convinced yourself you need them.

Get over it, and quit.

An ex-smoker.
peachie_
Rep:
?
(Original post by homeland.lsw)
you don't smoke to show off or anything? keep it private? don't smoke in front of friends?
idk i don't really have a problem with smokers. i've smoked numerous times before (always trying it out )

but there are other ways to relieve stress- art, exercise, music. doesn't have to be smoking.
but i suppose if you must continue, do what javascriptmaster said- well the second option anyway
Usually I have one alone, it's become my little ritual in the morning that helps clear my mind, and it's great for coming up with poetic ideas actually, which is good for me because I want to study English Literature at uni. If my friends have one with me its all great, but no I've never really done it to show off
peachie_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Smoking is disgusting and so unattractive
I think you're just feeling sorry for yourself. Get over it. There's thousands of students out there doing 5 full a-levels on if not more on top of work and they're not dying to become a chimney.
I did 4 A-levels, held two part-time jobs down and, and didn't feel the need to smoke once, and still managed to bang out A*A*AA (Maths, FM, Economics & Physics), you're genuinely fooling yourself if you genuinely believe it's helping with your 'stress'.
The 'stress' that you're relieving is actually the crave for Nicotine within your brain that you're just making worse.

Stop wondering what your parents will do if you smoke, and just quit that horrible habit. Every time you puff on a fag, you're just digging a bigger hole. You can tell yourself you're not addicted, but its damn obvious you are if you have convinced yourself you need them.

Get over it, and quit.

An ex-smoker.
At the minute, I have no real intention to quit this habit, I know in the long run it's bad on my health but right now it's just a little perk in my day. You did absolutely amazing on your a levels, how the hell you managed it I don't know. I wasn't trying to get a load of people commenting on this and telling me to quit, in all honesty I was just curious to find out what happened with other people in this situation and how they handled it, so I could use that as advice. In retrospect, I'm 17 so it is perfectly legal, and I'm old enough to make my own decisions on when to stop or not, which is what annoys me most about the situation
username2705335
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've only tried smoking once. I had a packet in my draw and my dad found it. He was really angry. I had to explain to him that it was a one time thing(it was).
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
At the minute, I have no real intention to quit this habit, I know in the long run it's bad on my health but right now it's just a little perk in my day. You did absolutely amazing on your a levels, how the hell you managed it I don't know. I wasn't trying to get a load of people commenting on this and telling me to quit, in all honesty I was just curious to find out what happened with other people in this situation and how they handled it, so I could use that as advice. In retrospect, I'm 17 so it is perfectly legal, and I'm old enough to make my own decisions on when to stop or not, which is what annoys me most about the situation
Unless you're living in the UK in 1994 or prior. You're actually wrong, it's illegal to supply a 17 year old tobacco.

You are old enough to make some decisions, and right now you may as well be digging your own grave.

Enjoy em!
peachie_
Rep:
?
Unless you're living in the UK in 1994 or prior. You're actually wrong, it's illegal to supply a 17 year old tobacco.

You are old enough to make some decisions, and right now you may as well be digging your own grave.

Enjoy em!
It is legal in the UK to smoke at 16, even though until you are 18 you're not legally allowed to buy tobacco products
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
It is legal in the UK to smoke at 16, even though until you are 18 you're not legally allowed to buy tobacco products
Okay great, can you find me the piece of legislation which actually states the UK Government have established a minimum age to smoke?
peachie_
Rep:
?
Okay great, can you find me the piece of legislation which actually states the UK Government have established a minimum age to smoke?
Children and Young Persons Act 1933 – Section 7
(1) Any person who sells to a person under the age of eighteen years any tobacco or cigarette papers, whether for his own use or not, shall be liable, on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 4 on the standard scale.
(3) It shall be the duty of a constable and of a park-keeper being in uniform to seize any tobacco or cigarette papers in the possession of any person apparently under the age of sixteen years whom he finds smoking in any street or public place, and any tobacco or cigarette papers so seized shall be disposed of, if seized by a constable, in such manner as the police authority may direct, and if seized by a park-keeper, in such manner as the authority or person by whom he was appointed may direct.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
Children and Young Persons Act 1933 – Section 7
(1) Any person who sells to a person under the age of eighteen years any tobacco or cigarette papers, whether for his own use or not, shall be liable, on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 4 on the standard scale.
(3) It shall be the duty of a constable and of a park-keeper being in uniform to seize any tobacco or cigarette papers in the possession of any person apparently under the age of sixteen years whom he finds smoking in any street or public place, and any tobacco or cigarette papers so seized shall be disposed of, if seized by a constable, in such manner as the police authority may direct, and if seized by a park-keeper, in such manner as the authority or person by whom he was appointed may direct.
Holy crap you're dumber than you sound.
Are you actually reading that?
You do realise it says they will be liable.

Also, note that we don't tend to follow legislation for longer than a couple decades. The act you're looking for:

Children and Young Persons (Protection from Tobacco) Act 1991.
or
The Tobacco and Related Products Regulations 2016.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
My advice would be to vape or quit.

Its really dull when someone catches cancer and very painful. You probably think you are young and healthy, but it is no respecter of age.
MadVisionary
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Problem with smoking against your parents' will is the longer you do it the more you smell of it. Hiding cigs and lighters is the easy bit, but there'll be a point at which they'll be able to smell it easy, especially if they're looking out for it.

Gonna have to pick between quitting, and telling em before they figure it out, for sure.
I'd advise quitting but you've probably heard that like a million times. 2-3 a day will cut your life expectancy down the line, make sure you're aware of what it does to ya but at the end of the day it's your life
Mellon99
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That is actually just bulls*** as the UK government and court system still follows legislation and precidents going back almost a 1000 years
pickup
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You seem to be complaining that your step Dad is treating you like a baby. Could it be because you are a baby? He's no doubt very angry ( and rightly so ) that you are acting in a way that will threaten your health and that of everyone you live with.

This is the real world you know not one where you can just pretend that smoking doesn't kill people because you 'like smoking'.

Smoking also makes you stink, makes any car you ride in stink, makes any house you live in stink.

But hey you know better, you prefer to live now and enjoy yourself. I suggest you take up a piece of paper and write down your reasons for smoking now.
1. I just like it
2. It helps me unwind
3. I'm not addicted
4. It calms me down.

In 10, 20 years time when you have high blood pressure, lung cancer, atherosclerosis ( and they're threatening to chop your legs off ) you can take out this piece of paper for consolation......you'll need to smoke even more then to calm you down, to help you unwind , I'm sure.

With any luck you may have caused someone you have lived with to have emphysema too! You might as well take someone else with you too.

I heard all the things you're saying from 2 uncles and a father - 3 dead from lung cancer far too young. My mother died from emphysema - secondary smoking.

Have you no morals at all????
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.66%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.61%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.6%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.13%

Watched Threads