Turn on thread page Beta

a little help concerning my student loan. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me exactly how my student loan works. I'm starting a course at uni this september and have recieved the letter outlining how much money I can loan to buy ciggarretes and alcahol. However i need to know whether the figure quoted is the amount i can borrow for this current year, or whether this is the amount available for the entirety of my course. Can anyone give me a few pointers please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bbbb)
    Can anyone tell me exactly how my student loan works. I'm starting a course at uni this september and have recieved the letter outlining how much money I can loan to buy ciggarretes and alcahol. However i need to know whether the figure quoted is the amount i can borrow for this current year, or whether this is the amount available for the entirety of my course. Can anyone give me a few pointers please.
    The sum is distributed in installments with the figure quoted being for a year.

I think that it is 1/3 in mid September 1/3 in January and the remainder just before the summer holidays to keep you going .

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone else who has not had any reply from student services about how much money they will get? I've heard they're having problems this year but loads of people seem to have already had theirs back!

ReputationRep:
    thanks for that

ReputationRep:
    I haven't had a reply either - and their website is just useless...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Riz*)
    Is there anyone else who has not had any reply from student services about how much money they will get? I've heard they're having problems this year but loads of people seem to have already had theirs back!
    Mid August would be the time that I got my reply last year - if you haven't heard something before the start of the week of your results give them a call.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    Mid August would be the time that I got my reply last year - if you haven't heard something before the start of the week of your results give them a call.
    Thanks for that, will do!

ReputationRep:
    I havent got mine back either, but i think its related to when u handed ur form in. People who goit theres had it early u c.

and as for their website i agree thats its appaling. I wanted to apply online, and was told icould do so from april. I went on, and it said it wd be available from mid may. Again i waited, and was told it was from june. June came and still no luck so I rang them up to be told it would be up in 2 weeks. Eventually i had a week left, and was then told i couldnt until next year. So i had a mad rush to do a paper form. Complete mess.

ReputationRep:
    well i got there fairly early - one week b4 the deadline for non-income assessed, but have had nothing back apart from birth cert and letter saying they've started processing my info. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    i handed mine in on the day of the deadline for income-assessed loans, and i got my confirmation and loan amount back about a month later

it all depends on your LEA and the amount of people applying for a loan

i live in quite a crappy area so my LEA must've had lots of time on their hands!

ReputationRep:
    I live in Kent, so I would imagine there are a lot of people applying for loans because it is such a big county with loads of secondary schools and at least 5 or 6 major towns. Oh well, as long as i get the money i dont care.

ReputationRep:
    Well i finally got a letter from them saying that they are "starting to process my information". Only problem is they got my surname completley wrong - and i dont just mean a few letters wrong they put a completely different surname.

And they havent returned any of my documents either which they're meant to do a few days after you send them off.....

Me thinks im going to have fun with student support this year....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessie)
    I live in Kent, so I would imagine there are a lot of people applying for loans because it is such a big county with loads of secondary schools and at least 5 or 6 major towns. Oh well, as long as i get the money i dont care.
    Ditto, don't worry about it, I still haven't had anything back yet either. There's more than 5 or 6 major towns, too.. i can think of atleast 5 around NW Kent alone. Ummmm, yeah, as Expression said - if you've still not got anything back in the next few weeks, make some phone calls. Argh, results all too soooooon!!

ReputationRep:
    I did the same thing; I wanted to apply online and so kept checking the website and believing the promises that it would be up and running soon and so nearly missed the deadline. I had to rush to get the paper application filled in.

As it happens, I currently work for local government so actually know the people that were dealing with my application which helped me get it pushed through quickly!

I am told that the standard waiting time between when your application is recieved and when they actually start to assess it is 8 weeks. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I rang my LEA today (West Sussex) and they said they were currently processing the forms received in the middle of May. Since they didn't receive my form until 21st June, they say it will be another 5 weeks before they get to my form, so September 9th, ish. Great!

ReputationRep:
    i too would like to know whether they're going to put more money in my account?

at the moment, i'm looking at circa £3500... but if they don't keep putting more in my account each year, i am looking at living on £20 a week in London... which is near impossible without turning to prostitution or begging

any ideas?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.