Mental Health Nursing funding - I'm clueless if I'm eligible

Watch this thread
onlyafleshwound
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi

Okay I'll make this as brief as possible. Background - I'm 30 years old, have 104 UCAS points from way-back-when, but all in the humanities and I want to go to university to study Mental Health Nursing.

I've been to university (but for different courses) 3 times but had to drop out in the first year of each for medical reasons (un-diagnosed co-morbid schizophrenia, severe depressive disorder and emotionally unstable personality disorder) so I never even finished a single first year.

i received payments for most of the years, but not all of them, as I withdrew early from all of them if memory serves me correctly due to the rapid decline in my mental health. I've been in psychiatric units and under community care for several years, but i have also had periods of stability prior to my diagnosis where i was working.

Now I've heard about from 2017 that the government wants to scrap all NHS funding for courses like midwifery, nursing, et cetera. Is this a definite go-ahead, can anyone confirm? Because nothing seems to have been put into place to confirm this as of right now.

I also know, from what I remember, that you're only eligible for 3 or 4 years of funding from SLE, total. Is this still true? Because after long-term treatment with medication and a 3-year course of several kinds of therapy, I have been asymptomatic for a year now, and would love to go into BSC Mental Health Nursing, but there is absolutely no way I could self-fund as I've been living on disability benefits for a long time.

Do SLE grant any kinds of concessions for situations like this, or do the NHS have any kind of schemes that would allow me entry?

Coming from such a dark place for so many years and finally feeling alive, and being alive again, i put the majority of that on the psychiatric nurses on the acute wards and the community care teams that supported me in my recovery, and I can't think of anything else I'd rather do than help pull someone out of a situation that i was in.

I hope this is the appropriate place to post this and I hope someone with more knowledge of the SLE inner workings can give me an idea or if I'll have to give up on this dream,

Many thanks,
Erin SFE
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by onlyafleshwound)
Hi

Okay I'll make this as brief as possible. Background - I'm 30 years old, have 104 UCAS points from way-back-when, but all in the humanities and I want to go to university to study Mental Health Nursing.

I've been to university (but for different courses) 3 times but had to drop out in the first year of each for medical reasons (un-diagnosed co-morbid schizophrenia, severe depressive disorder and emotionally unstable personality disorder) so I never even finished a single first year.

i received payments for most of the years, but not all of them, as I withdrew early from all of them if memory serves me correctly due to the rapid decline in my mental health. I've been in psychiatric units and under community care for several years, but i have also had periods of stability prior to my diagnosis where i was working.

Now I've heard about from 2017 that the government wants to scrap all NHS funding for courses like midwifery, nursing, et cetera. Is this a definite go-ahead, can anyone confirm? Because nothing seems to have been put into place to confirm this as of right now.

I also know, from what I remember, that you're only eligible for 3 or 4 years of funding from SLE, total. Is this still true? Because after long-term treatment with medication and a 3-year course of several kinds of therapy, I have been asymptomatic for a year now, and would love to go into BSC Mental Health Nursing, but there is absolutely no way I could self-fund as I've been living on disability benefits for a long time.

Do SLE grant any kinds of concessions for situations like this, or do the NHS have any kind of schemes that would allow me entry?

Coming from such a dark place for so many years and finally feeling alive, and being alive again, i put the majority of that on the psychiatric nurses on the acute wards and the community care teams that supported me in my recovery, and I can't think of anything else I'd rather do than help pull someone out of a situation that i was in.

I hope this is the appropriate place to post this and I hope someone with more knowledge of the SLE inner workings can give me an idea or if I'll have to give up on this dream,

Many thanks,
Hi,

If the Mental health Nursing is an NHS designated course then we are taken over the funding for these types of course from 17/18. All previous study will not be taken into account as these types of courses are designated as exception courses.

The funding available will be tuition fee loan, maintenance loan, Disabled students allowance and dependents grants.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
20.54%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
10.71%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
7.14%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (19)
16.96%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (27)
24.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
20.54%

Watched Threads