How often should my laptop crash? Watch

Fishfinger Sandwich
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I've had my new laptop for about 2 weeks now (a Dell Vostro 1000) and it's crashed 3 times. I've been using it a fair bit (about 4 hours a day, 5 days a week). The first two times, it came up with this wallpaper type screen and froze. Nothing I could do, had to switch off. The second time was the same and the third time left me with a plain black screen. I know crashing is just something computers do every now and then, but should I be worried about this? It's no major problem-I just switch off then on again, only takes a min, but if I was doing some work or something, I might have lost it.
JayEm
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't remember the last time Windows XP crashed on me, hardly ever does. :s: I'm guessing you have Vista, not sure how reliable that is compared to XP.
Xaat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by JayEm)
I don't remember the last time Windows XP crashed on me, hardly ever does. :s: I'm guessing you have Vista, not sure how reliable that is compared to XP.
A lot more reliable.
slugonamission
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In short...it shouldn't...
Choad
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Xaat)
A lot more reliable.
seriously... assuming the dude does have vista, you reckon 3 crashes in 2 weeks is "a lot more reliable" than xp?
Xaat
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Choad)
seriously... assuming the dude does have vista, you reckon 3 crashes in 2 weeks is "a lot more reliable" than xp?
The point is that the thread starter never mentioned having Vista yet somebody just decided to use the thread as an opportunity to bash Vista yet again. I’ve been using vista for 6 months and it’s never crashed on me once. I just get annoyed with all the people who have never tried it for themselves yet feel the need to bash it at every opportunity because they are too scared to upgrade. Perhaps they believe that if they convince enough people it’s bad then it will just go away? :rolleyes:
MrWacko
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Xaat)
The point is that the thread starter never mentioned having Vista yet somebody just decided to use the thread as an opportunity to bash Vista yet again. I’ve been using vista for 6 months and it’s never crashed on me once. I just get annoyed with all the people who have never tried it for themselves yet feel the need to bash it at every opportunity because they are too scared to upgrade. Perhaps they believe that if they convince enough people it’s bad then it will just go away? :rolleyes:
Its a new laptop, therefore it is most likely that it will have come with vista on it.

Either way 3 crashes in 2 weeks is not normal.
jewellui
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
From what i had heard since vista had been released from many people, xp is suppose to be better so i didn't bother upgrading. I recently bought a laptop and it came with vista installed, i can say its fine it just seems like xp (not really worth upgrading) but it is better.

About the crashing bit...it shouldn't crash at all, 3 times in 2 weeks is alot. This laptop has vista and i've had it for a month and its not crashed yet. My pc has xp but it rarely crashes, atleast not through normal usage.
MrWacko
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Vista does still have bugs (and anyone that believes otherwise is a damn fool). I will be sticking with good old XP (when i must use windows) for a good while yet
Dionysus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It shouldn't crash at all. If you're running Vista, as I am, a few crashes are inevitable until Service Pack 1 comes out. Check you aren't running too much crap, and that there aren't any known software conflicts.
Choad
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Xaat)
no offense but you are being quite defensive here. jayEm didn't "bash" vista, as you put it. he simply said he wasn't sure how reliable it was in comparison to xp.

also, i loved the bit when you suggested everyone who says bad things about vista is "too scared to upgrade". priceless.
jewellui
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Only problem i have had so far with vista is that bloody COM Surrogate error, suprised that such an error has got through beta. Haven't managed to figure out how to fix it so i guess i'll have to live without thumbnail previews until service pack 1 whch i assume will fix it...
Xaat
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by jewellui)
Only problem i have had so far with vista is that bloody COM Surrogate error, suprised that such an error has got through beta. Haven't managed to figure out how to fix it so i guess i'll have to live without thumbnail previews until service pack 1 whch i assume will fix it...
There are two causes of this error; the first is older versions of DivX which has been fixed in the latest version (v6.6). Although you might not be able to fix it by simply upgrading, you will have to ensure all traces of the previous version are gone.

And the second cause is older versions of Nero Burning Rom, this can be fixed by renaming the file C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\DSFilter\NeVideo.ax to NeVideo.ax.bak. You may also need to rename NeVideoHD.ax to NeVideoHD.bak. Note that this will break Nero Showtime. This error is also fixed in the latest version of Nero (v7.10).

(Original post by MrWacko)
Vista does still have bugs (and anyone that believes otherwise is a damn fool). I will be sticking with good old XP (when i must use windows) for a good while yet
Due to the nature of software programming no software will ever be bug-free (trust me Im a programmer), however a very large amount of the problems people are having with Vista are actually related to 3rd party vendor software.

Vista is a step in the right direction, much of it has had to be written from scratch again so it’s bound to have some issues. But after installing the latest versions of drivers and software, as well as all the Windows updates, I would now say it is more stable than XP.

There is a lot of common misconceptions regarding Vista at the moment, especially when it comes to memory usage. Vista is not a “memory hog”, it uses more memory than XP because it puts it to use making your computer more stable and more responsive, unlike XP that leaves most of your memory unused. For more information look up “windows superfetch”.

(Original post by Choad)
no offense but you are being quite defensive here. jayEm didn't "bash" vista, as you put it. he simply said he wasn't sure how reliable it was in comparison to xp.
You are correct, my apologies for derailing this thread. I took what he said the wrong way assuming that when he said “I'm guessing you have Vista” he was meaning that Vista crashes a lot. It just often seems that whichever forum I go to somebody is always bashing Vista when most of the time they have not even used it.

(Original post by jewellui)
It just seems like xp (not really worth upgrading)
The vast majority of changes are behind the scenes and not immediately obvious to the end user. For example it ships with DirectX 10 which is only going to be available on Vista. There are already at least two games I can think of that will only work on Vista for this reason. (Halo 2, Gears of War).
Fluent in Lies
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Never
Choad
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Xaat)
There are two causes of this error; the first is older versions of DivX which has been fixed in the latest version (v6.6). Although you might not be able to fix it by simply upgrading, you will have to ensure all traces of the previous version are gone.

And the second cause is older versions of Nero Burning Rom, this can be fixed by renaming the file C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\DSFilter\NeVideo.ax to NeVideo.ax.bak. You may also need to rename NeVideoHD.ax to NeVideoHD.bak. Note that this will break Nero Showtime. This error is also fixed in the latest version of Nero (v7.10).

Due to the nature of software programming no software will ever be bug-free (trust me Im a programmer), however a very large amount of the problems people are having with Vista are actually related to 3rd party vendor software.

Vista is a step in the right direction, much of it has had to be written from scratch again so it’s bound to have some issues. But after installing the latest versions of drivers and software, as well as all the Windows updates, I would now say it is more stable than XP.

There is a lot of common misconceptions regarding Vista at the moment, especially when it comes to memory usage. Vista is not a “memory hog”, it uses more memory than XP because it puts it to use making your computer more stable and more responsive, unlike XP that leaves most of your memory unused. For more information look up “windows superfetch”.

You are correct, my apologies for derailing this thread. I took what he said the wrong way assuming that when he said “I'm guessing you have Vista” he was meaning that Vista crashes a lot. It just often seems that whichever forum I go to somebody is always bashing Vista when most of the time they have not even used it.

The vast majority of changes are behind the scenes and not immediately obvious to the end user. For example it ships with DirectX 10 which is only going to be available on Vista. There are already at least two games I can think of that will only work on Vista for this reason. (Halo 2, Gears of War).
you do know that the only reason dx10 is vista only is because msoft want people to shell out for their new OS. there is nothing stopping dx10 tech from working in XP and i think someone already hacked a version of it to work.

also, not to be too pedantic or anything but i'm telling you that

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python
print "Hello World"
is completely bug free :p: (yah, i know u meant large scale software)

but that really leads me on to my next point which is that msoft are rather dumb for using this deployment model. the whole idea of cramming tons of new features over years of development in to a single upgrade is just begging for trouble. there is no way to catch all the bugs, or even an acceptable amount of bugs. small incremental improvements (like service packs in windows, minor point releases for osX) made frequently (say every 6 - 12 months) give the devs the time to polish their code, and QA time to make sure it's all good.

but they're more interested in getting everyone to buy expensive new licenses than they are in providing a reliable service. why else would they be stopping xp support so soon? why else would they not give xp DX10? dont get me wrong, there are some good points in vista, but reliability as it stands is not one of them. maybe after a service pack or 2 it will surpass XP.

oh, and one more thing. vista *is* more ram intensive than xp. ever tried running it in 512? i have.
Fishfinger Sandwich
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Yep, I've got vista (business). I don't think that's what's making it crash. It doesn't happen when I try to do anything special. I'm just on the internet (usually TSR and maybe one or two other tabs), then it suddenly crashes-it doesn't freeze, the screen just goes black, no sound or anything. It happened again today.
I don't know what a software conflict is.
I have 80 processes running! On my desktop PC there are only 65, and it has more stuff on it. A few on this (laptop) are google desktop though, and some from Mcafee and AVG antivirus...(software conflict?!-mind you, it happened before I got AVG).
Could it be overheating? I just leave my laptop on my bed and it gets really hot underneath, so then I put it on my knee for a while, or balance it on the edge so the fan gets some space. It doesn't warn about it getting too hot though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (10)
6.54%
They might tell the bully (16)
10.46%
I don't think they'd understand (28)
18.3%
It might lead to more bullying (57)
37.25%
There's nothing they could do (42)
27.45%

Watched Threads