Help me with my GCSE Options?!

Watch this thread
jessm888
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Im looking at taking additional science as one of my GCSE options, however i don't currently have a qualified biology teacher to help me get onto the course. Do you still think its possible, with no extra help from teachers? (Thinking about a medical route).
butterfly_belle
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
I would definitely consider it as for the majority of universites for science related degrees you need at least 2 science GCSE's whereas if you just do core science your going to make things much harder for yourself. Unless your thinking of doing triple science at gcse which is a gcse in each individual science? Especially as for a-levels a lot of content from additional science and triple science are built upon and i personally only did core and additional science which meant initially i struggled a lot during the first term of AS biology and chemistry and had to self teach a lot of the basics.

In all fairness GCSE's to me where just a memorization game so as long as you have a decent textbook and access to the internet to google anything you don't understand then i wouldn't say additional science would be that difficult,
jessm888
Rep:
(Original post by butterfly_belle)
I would definitely consider it as for the majority of universites for science related degrees you need at least 2 science GCSE's whereas if you just do core science your going to make things much harder for yourself. Unless your thinking of doing triple science at gcse which is a gcse in each individual science? Especially as for a-levels a lot of content from additional science and triple science are built upon and i personally only did core and additional science which meant initially i struggled a lot during the first term of AS biology and chemistry and had to self teach a lot of the basics.

In all fairness GCSE's to me where just a memorization game so as long as you have a decent textbook and access to the internet to google anything you don't understand then i wouldn't say additional science would be that difficult,
So do you think triple sciences in the best option? Because I'm worried ill find the course extremely difficult because I've missed a lot of the topics because my teachers are missing?
Mikos
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
In terms of really good teachers, yes, they're helpful, however, they're not 100% necessary for a decent grade. You could get a tutor or a revision guides (CGP, as miserable their jokes can make me, are my recommendation)
Sophhhowa
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jessm888)
Im looking at taking additional science as one of my GCSE options, however i don't currently have a qualified biology teacher to help me get onto the course. Do you still think its possible, with no extra help from teachers? (Thinking about a medical route).
If ur thinking of doing medicine then YES! You neeeeeed to do it. Medicine is sooo competitive so you need as many qualifications as possible. As far as the teacher goes Ik that's not ideal but u can google the spec and teach yourself (this is what I've done on many occasions) plusnhopefully ull get a textbook which will have everything u need to know in it.
Hopefully this helps
jessm888
Rep:
(Original post by Sophhhowa)
If ur thinking of doing medicine then YES! You neeeeeed to do it. Medicine is sooo competitive so you need as many qualifications as possible. As far as the teacher goes Ik that's not ideal but u can google the spec and teach yourself (this is what I've done on many occasions) plusnhopefully ull get a textbook which will have everything u need to know in it.
Hopefully this helps
Thank you so much for the advice <3
jessm888
Rep:
(Original post by butterfly_belle)

Thank you so much for ur help
jessm888
Rep:
(Original post by Mikos)
In terms of really good teachers, yes, they're helpful, however, they're not 100% necessary for a decent grade. You could get a tutor or a revision guides (CGP, as miserable their jokes can make me, are my recommendation)
Thank you so much for you help :3
username613045
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
If you want to do medicine, you have to at least biology and chemistry at A Level. At a lot of sixth forms and colleges, you can't do any science A Levels without doing at least double science. I did triple science and that made the transition from GCSE to A Level easier because some of the triple content at GCSE was taught at AS.
AliceGeorgia
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I think it's possible! also to do medicine with the A-level route you need to have 2 or more science GCSE's to be allowed to do the A-levels that will allow you on the medicine course so if you want to do medicine you really need them 2 sciences
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (121)
41.58%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
18.56%
No (116)
39.86%

Watched Threads