The British Empire was a force for good, stop blaming the problems of today on it! Watch

MRNO
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by emobambam)
I'm sorry I didn't read your whole post. It was just too long for me. I'm not trying to start a fight on here but there's never been a more corrupt government in history. Only the privileged and nobility had a good life. Everyone else suffered. Look at how many people the British Empire enslaved over 1500 years. Look at the human rights violations. The British are the ones who went to Africa enslaved the local tribes brought them to America to plant crops to be taken back to the British Empire. The British Empire are the first ones who burned somebody at the stake for witchcraft back in the 1700s. Look what the British Empire did in Asia. The British Empire has a long long long history of human rights violations.

That really is the most stupid and ridiculous statement! It actually offends me the level of intelligence you must have must be so low. Just how idiotic are you? That is biggest pile of ass gravy I have heard in a long time!

Did You take history lessons at school? Or did you call it quits after kindergarten? At which point I can only assume you had reached your full and very limited potential.

Let me guess education not your strong point?

Perhaps you need to start off by reading something like "Ladybird learning history books" age range 4-5 then come back and we'll see if you have improved any. Or Maybe we should start you off on a colouring book and see how you go from there.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by FreedomTower)
I love how the British Empire has left a lasting positive legacy in subtle little ways such as in Canada for example them following the same format as we on some things.
Oddly enough, we were relatively poor in terms of standardisation across the empire. The legacy of imperial weights and measures has varied and was varied at the time, Britain introduced decimalised currencies in the empire and didn't bother in the mother country until the the 1970s. We couldn't even arrange for the railway lines on the Australian continent to be the same gauges and link-up (a problem that has persisted into the 21st century).

One might argue that the whole thing was a bit of a shambles really.
AlexanderHam
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The proposition is patently idiotic for anyone who actually knows the history of the British Empire. Like all great historical empires of its calibre (the Romans, the Venetians, the Chinese, the Carthiginians, the Byzantines), it did some good and some bad. The good, obviously, centres on language, law and representative government.

The bad... well, you only have to read up on the British involvement in Kenya to get a sense of the level immorality involved
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AlexanderHam)
The proposition is patently idiotic for anyone who actually knows the history of the British Empire. Like all great historical empires of its calibre (the Romans, the Venetians, the Chinese, the Carthiginians, the Byzantines), it did some good and some bad.
Yet I can't help but think that shunning a force-for-good or force-for-ill assessment in favour of a "some good, some bad" response is in itself a moral and intellectual cop-out.

Firstly, it is little more than a statement of the obvious: that all human endeavours are a mixture of the positive and negative. You apply this to empires, but it could equally be said of any country or state, or even any individual. The problem I have with that is by saying that all is simply a mix and ending the discussion there, you almost undermine the very existence of the morality necessary to define good or bad.

If everything falls short of goodness then what is the value in even considering what goodness is? It becomes unattainable. At least where some Christians preach total depravity, they have a handy get-out in terms of God and Christ dying for our sins!

Where I think you've copped out is in the measurement. I appreciate I've done a bit of that here too, but equally I've tried to contrast the moral charge-sheet of the British Empire against other polities, both of its time and not. You've just listened them. I joked about Genghis Khan earlier in this thread - you're essentially putting his empire and the British Empire on the same moral footing.
The Socktor
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well, sometimes I eagerly anticipate the day when aliens will arrive here on Earth and bring us civilization.
Captain Haddock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by emobambam)
The British Empire are the first ones who burned somebody at the stake for witchcraft back in the 1700s. Look what the British Empire did in Asia. The British Empire has a long long long history of human rights violations.
Just gonna say no witch was ever burnt at the stake in England and the last witch execution in England happened in 1684 and the first witches to be burnt at the stake were in Valais in the 15th century.

Just out of curiosity how is it that you came to believe in the above?
MRNO
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Captain Haddock)
Just gonna say no witch was ever burnt at the stake in England and the last witch execution in England happened in 1684 and the first witches to be burnt at the stake were in Valais in the 15th century.

Just out of curiosity how is it that you came to believe in the above?
The person who wrote that is clearly thick as two short planks.
They don't seem to have even a even rudimentary understanding of history.
The Champion.m4a
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hong Kong is not a good example.

Only a very tiny minority wants British rule back. More people support independence. And it's more about anything is better than China rather than colonialism being a good thing.

You also can't use what the British did 1991-1997 to say that's what the Empire did. Even just in Hong Kong, there was still no real democracy till the end, no independent academia, and before the 70s, the colonial government didn't do anything for the locals.
will11600
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
The British Empire was the first civilization to outlaw slavery in 1807.Following its ban, the British actively policed the Atlantic. 30 ships and 4,000 men were deployed.The British took out enormous debt to pay for this, which were not fully repaid until 2015.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
The British Empire commited crimes of magnitude equal to that of Stalin and the Soviet Union when it deliberatly starved Ukranians.

You have to stick that into any undertsanding of it, which then given some pespective to westen biased history that was a product of the cold war.

The Holocaust probably trumps it in terms of crimes against humanity for being fully commited to being uniquely evil.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by AlexanderHam)
Like all great historical empires of its calibre (the Romans, the Venetians, the Chinese, the Carthiginians, the Byzantines), it did some good and some bad. The good, obviously, centres on language, law and representative government.

The bad... well, you only have to read up on the British involvement in Kenya to get a sense of the level immorality involved
Lets not forget the Communist empires. The Soviet Union, we miss your counterweight role in ending African apartheight and for liberating many people from abject poverty. Also for putting the first human into space. We salute and miss you. As well as scaring our rulling classes into giving us generouse welfare states. We thank your sacrifice.

We should also commend the communism of chinese characteristics, that is right now continuing the Marxist-Leninist experiment. Good luck Xi! May your indefinite rule lead to prosperity for the chinese people.

[img]https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1500/1*VvPqZjw11SI870_G9U0NaA.jpeg[/img]
AlexRamsay2004
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Taran001)
The British Empire was worse than Nazi Germany!
They taxed poor farmers after stripping the farmers off their land in India
Caused many families to starve and die leading to the deaths of 29m indians!!!
Ths figure increases elsewhere in india to a staggering total of 60m deaths
if you dont believe me! Google "Bengal Famine"
Before befriending and backstabbing India, the British were representative of 2% of the World's economy
in comparison to India's 25% at the time
Jalianwala Bagh disaster was the biggest disgrace of them all
Shaheed Udham Singh is one of the most renowned martyrs in history for avenging his parents death from the disaster
You gave Ramunjan an education ARE YOU KIDDING ME he was already smart and was applying his knowledge at Cambridge not to mention the amount of hate attacks he faced in the UK
MRNO you are seriously uneducated on this topic to even question and comment about it
What the British empire did is simply no different to the Nazi's, even the Nazi's though built up and grew the German economy
British decreased the Indian economy by 95% killed off so many of its people, stole almost every resource they had

In conclusion, the British empire were full of backstabbing snakes who are no different to modern day rebels in the middle east

PERIOD
No the British were no where near nazis you are just a very hateful person sure the British weren’t perfect but name one colonial power that wasn’t the French empire was bad so was the German but does that mean you have to single out the British
icequeenTM
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hmm to spread western civilisation ultimately western ideology...then by your logic you condone what ISIS are doing.

Get your head out of your a**
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by icequeenTM)
Hmm to spread western civilisation ultimately western ideology...then by your logic you condone what ISIS are doing.

Get your head out of your a**
Dumbest thing I’ve read all day, and I’ve been talking to GenialGermanGent so that’s quite an achievement.

It’s like saying if you support democracy you support Trump because he was democratically elected.
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
As far as empires go, Britain was undoubtedly the best.

Most of the places it colonised were barbaric hell holes that would have murdered and enslaved each other anyway. A wretched and thoroughly barbaric place to live.

Just like how Britain used to be before the Romans came and civilised us. Nobody sane really thinks that we would have been better off if the Romans hadn’t colonised us. The only difference is the difference in race- so it’s worse when a white person does something to a black person or vice verse . Hilariously, that view is kinda racist.
icequeenTM
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Davij038)
Dumbest thing I’ve read all day, and I’ve been talking to GenialGermanGent so that’s quite an achievement.

It’s like saying if you support democracy you support Trump because he was democratically elected.
Pahahahaha if you think their voting system is in any way democratic you’re kidding yourself hun!!!
And i’m only applying their logic. They basically did what ISIS and any terrorist organisation are doing today spreading their scum ideology. Stop grasping at straws painting the Empire to have had any real goodness.
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by icequeenTM)
Pahahahaha if you think their voting system is in any way democratic you’re kidding yourself hun!!!
Oh god. Go on tell me, how is the worlds largest democracy not a democracy.

And i’m only applying their logic. They basically did what ISIS and any terrorist organisation are doing today spreading their scum ideology. Stop grasping at straws painting the Empire to have had any real goodness.
Fine, but it put this way- would you rather live in the British empire or the caliphate ?
GreggsOnLeggs
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Oswald Mosley is that you?
TheBomber09
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
The empire was good and bad but it can't be blamed for what's happeneing today we need to move on with life
HighOnGoofballs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
The British Empire was not a 'force for good'. Anyone who claims such has simply been indoctrinated.

It's just a question of 'to what extent was it BAD' and which specific places were disproportionatly dealt a bad hand e.g. India.

Although, to claim that people today should be blamed for it, or even feel guilty is utter nonesence.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (238)
59.5%
No (162)
40.5%

Watched Threads