The Student Room Group

Going to the Gynocologist

Hey everyone! lets get straight to the point, basically I've been experiencing pains in my rectum during my periods and the GP said the symptoms were those of potential endometriosis so he's referring me to the gynaecologist.
I'm only 15 and am incredibly worried and scared about this, does anyone have experience at the gynaecologist and wants to inform me on what happens when you go there?
i really dont want my genitals to be examined by a complete stranger and worse of a male gynaecologist because that would be so awkward. i would rather live with this pain and a risk of endometriosis than show my privates to a complete stranger, i was also reading online and apparently they stick some metal stuff up your vagina to check it out and im actually so worried, i find using tampons painful and i dont really want my hymen to tear. Apparently im still too young to be referred to a proper gynaecologist so it might be a children's doctor and im so scared!!! can i request for a female doctor?
Ahhh, will i have to like strip or something and what if im on my period on my appointment and ughh.
can anyone help me out please!! it will be much appreciated.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey everyone! lets get straight to the point, basically I've been experiencing pains in my rectum during my periods and the GP said the symptoms were those of potential endometriosis so he's referring me to the gynaecologist.
I'm only 15 and am incredibly worried and scared about this, does anyone have experience at the gynaecologist and wants to inform me on what happens when you go there?
i really dont want my genitals to be examined by a complete stranger and worse of a male gynaecologist because that would be so awkward. i would rather live with this pain and a risk of endometriosis than show my privates to a complete stranger, i was also reading online and apparently they stick some metal stuff up your vagina to check it out and im actually so worried, i find using tampons painful and i dont really want my hymen to tear. Apparently im still too young to be referred to a proper gynaecologist so it might be a children's doctor and im so scared!!! can i request for a female doctor?
Ahhh, will i have to like strip or something and what if im on my period on my appointment and ughh.
can anyone help me out please!! it will be much appreciated.

Yes you can request a female, thats not uncommon at all, infact everyone thats looked at my vagina in a medical setting has been female!

They most likely wont put anything inside you if your still a virgin, and especially if you dont consent to it.

The person examining you will have seen more vaginas than you can probably even imagine!
Generally you will be asked to remove all your clothing from the bottom half (trousers/underwear unless you wear a skirt) they will close the curtain while you do this, then ask you to lay on the bed and put a large peice of paper towel over your bottom half. They will then come into the curtained area, ask you to bend your knees up and open your legs.

You will also be able to either ask for a chaperone (a female member of staff) or take someone in with you.

But there is no need to be embarrased and DEFIINATELY dont put your health at risk!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest