The Student Room Group

Cosmetic Science

Hi, has anyone applied for cosmetic science (Sunderland/ UAL) or pharmaceutical and cosmetic science (De Montfort)? I can't find any recent discussions about them so I thought I'd start one myself!

Scroll to see replies

Wow this is a thing ?
Reply 2
Hi , I have applied to all three of these unis as well as 2 others for pharmaceutical science. I'm just waiting on a reply from UAL now. Have you got any offers yet?? :smile:
Reply 3
I'm still waiting for UAL too, I've had offers from Sunderland and De Montfort though. Without checking, I think it was 112 points with a pass in chemistry for Sunderland and 102 points with a C in chemistry for De Montfort, so I'm assuming yours won't be much different(?) There's also an applicant day for Sunderland on the 15th of Feb so I think I'm going to that. Which uni did you prefer the most from your choices? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Eli5e
I'm still waiting for UAL too, I've had offers from Sunderland and De Montfort though. Without checking, I think it was 112 points with a pass in chemistry for Sunderland and 102 points with a C in chemistry for De Montfort, so I'm assuming yours won't be much different(?) There's also an applicant day for Sunderland on the 15th of Feb so I think I'm going to that. Which uni did you prefer the most from your choices? :smile:

Yeah I think my offers were exactly that too. I might also be going to Sunderlands open day because I haven't actually seen how it is. I think I prefer UAL but I'm not sure about it because it's in London. But maybe Sunderland since I live in Leicester, don't really want to stay here unless there's no other choice. Wbu?? Waiting for UAL's answer is driving me crazy! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
To be honest the Sunderland course is almost the same as the UAL one, plus when I went up there were only two other people there for the course! The facilities seemed better than the other two but the accommodation wasn't too great. I don't think the nightlife would be that great either but Newcastle's not that far away haha. But I'm from Doncaster so can't really judge.. it's not that much different to our town centre. The course leader also said there's usually one day with nothing timetabled, which could be seen as a bonus. She seemed more approachable than the other course leaders, I thought those from UAL were a bit grumpy and him from Leicester a bit odd. Do you think UAL will reply soon? It all seems a bit delayed, but with the number of applicants they get compared with the places available I highly doubt they're bothered! :smile:
Xx
Reply 6
Original post by Eli5e
To be honest the Sunderland course is almost the same as the UAL one, plus when I went up there were only two other people there for the course! The facilities seemed better than the other two but the accommodation wasn't too great. I don't think the nightlife would be that great either but Newcastle's not that far away haha. But I'm from Doncaster so can't really judge.. it's not that much different to our town centre. The course leader also said there's usually one day with nothing timetabled, which could be seen as a bonus. She seemed more approachable than the other course leaders, I thought those from UAL were a bit grumpy and him from Leicester a bit odd. Do you think UAL will reply soon? It all seems a bit delayed, but with the number of applicants they get compared with the places available I highly doubt they're bothered! :smile:
Xx

Yeah, I thought it might be, on the website you can see that they do all the same topics etc. I'm just worried that because last year was the first year of this course at Sunderland, they haven't had time to improve their teaching by looking at what works and what doesn't (and bc there's only 2 people). And whether the quality of teaching would be good bc of new teachers. Do you think they'll take a lot more people this year? When I rang up they said they had 13 students. I've read on a few other threads that Sunderland nightlife is average which is good- but if you decided you want to change it up a bit in Newcastle the party central like you said. On the plus side, the shopping centre doesn't look that bad and the beach is always a plus. :smile: I heard that UAL don't even look at the applications until the deadline which was 15th Jan- so hopefully they'll start replying by end of Jan/Feb time. Are these the only universities you have applied to or did you use your other 2 choices too? I have an interview from Keele for pharmaceutical on Wednesday and I'm so nervous, but it'll be great practise if I get an interview at UAL. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Yeah, I've only applied to three because it's more the cosmetics side I'd rather do, which other uni have you applied for pharmaceuticals at? And 13 students doesn't seem many does it? I suppose that not many people would have heard of it especially if it was their first year and that more will have applied this year (hopefully anyway!). As for the teaching, I've read threads about UAL and how people have transferred to De Montford because it's not great so it probably depends on what your expecting. I've also heard about UAL not looking at applications before the deadline, although I did get a confirmation email in the last week of the Christmas holidays which I thought was a bit strange. How are you preparing for your interview? Good luck anyway!! Xx
Reply 8
Original post by Eli5e
Yeah, I've only applied to three because it's more the cosmetics side I'd rather do, which other uni have you applied for pharmaceuticals at? And 13 students doesn't seem many does it? I suppose that not many people would have heard of it especially if it was their first year and that more will have applied this year (hopefully anyway!). As for the teaching, I've read threads about UAL and how people have transferred to De Montford because it's not great so it probably depends on what your expecting. I've also heard about UAL not looking at applications before the deadline, although I did get a confirmation email in the last week of the Christmas holidays which I thought was a bit strange. How are you preparing for your interview? Good luck anyway!! Xx

I only really applied to pharmaceutical to fill the 2 other spaces (just in case really) and because it's similar to cosmetic but about drugs- you can go into a cosmetics job at the end with a pharmaceutical degree. I also applied to Hertfordshire. Ahh Idk what to do then bc I thought UAL would have the best teaching- I rather go somewhere that teaches well so dmu is the safe bet I guess. I also recieved a confirmation email that week which was a bit odd. Trying to prepare answers for general questions really, just hope they don't throw any curveballs BC I'm so nervous when I'm on the spot. Thank you :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Ah ok then, and I suppose you'll never know about teaching until you actually go, because at the end of the day it's down to opinion isn't it? I'm also thinking that dmu is the safe bet, but it's mostly pharmaceutical, I read that most people use it as a way into doing the pharmaceutical course with lower grades and then transfer after the first year. And I know what you mean about the curveballs, I like to have everything planned out too. I'm sure you'll be fine, you'll have to let me know how it goes :smile: xx
Hello! I applied for cosmetic and pharmaceutical sciences at DMU! I think theres hardly any course providers for cosmetics sciences in UK universities because cosmetic science is deemed a niche course! It'll be interesting to study hopefully :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
All the courses I applied for follow into the pharmacy route (pharmaceutical sciences/ medicinal chemistry) I applied to: Newcastle, DMU, Huddersfield and Nottingham Trent. I applied for Sheffield hallam too but that's just for chemistry :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Hey, sorry for the late reply, thanks, the interview actually went really well and i received a conditional offer from keele. Also, I finally heard from LCF- i have an interview on the 13th Feb. Have you heard yet?? :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Hey! I applied to UAL and DMU as well. I didn't bother applying to Sunderland because I didn't really think it would be that great due to it being a fairly new course. I have an offer from DMU and I have recently received an invitation for an interview at UAL on the 13th of Feb too! I'm excited yet really nervous as UAL is my first choice, I have no clue what they are going to ask:frown: any ideas?

Also does anyone know how many have applied to London this year?

I'm from Pontefract near Leeds in Yorkshire, but I used to live in Wimbledon so I'm well familiar with London. I'd like to know where you guys are from as it would be nice to be familiar with a few people on the course if we all get in!:smile:
I'm from Cumbria, located in the lake district, and I will hopefully be attending DMU applicant visit day on the 18th this month! I'm tied down between DMU or Huddersfield as my insurance choice as I have to put Newcastle as my compulsory one due to applying for a partner scheme there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Have anyone of you attended the course yet or not.because i have also applied for Dmu for the same course so i really want to know how it is please if anyone of you have any information so give me.
Reply 16
Original post by izzytagg
Hey! I applied to UAL and DMU as well. I didn't bother applying to Sunderland because I didn't really think it would be that great due to it being a fairly new course. I have an offer from DMU and I have recently received an invitation for an interview at UAL on the 13th of Feb too! I'm excited yet really nervous as UAL is my first choice, I have no clue what they are going to ask:frown: any ideas?

Also does anyone know how many have applied to London this year?

I'm from Pontefract near Leeds in Yorkshire, but I used to live in Wimbledon so I'm well familiar with London. I'd like to know where you guys are from as it would be nice to be familiar with a few people on the course if we all get in!:smile:

how did your interview go? Did you get an answer yet?
Hey, I'm a cosmetic science student at UAL. Just thought I'd say that pharmaceuticals isn't really a scientific term and with all the uni courses that offer pharmacy with a cosmetics side line is just that. It's pharmacy, with cosmetic science on the side. Pharmacy focuses on internal well being, whereas cosmetic science goes in depth about everything you put on your skin, teeth, lips, mucus membrane (this includes vagina/anus), nails and hair. They are very different courses.Don't get confused, they both involve plenty of biology and chemistry. But cosmetic science involves practical work and research and legislation and packaging and marketing and market research. It involves far more of the overall company than of a particular sector. If you don't know what industry you want but you like science, it would make more sense to do pharmacy. BUT, if you love skincare, make up and science then this course is amazing and you will love it! But its hard work so just be prepared :smile: hope this was some what useful. I post all the stuff we make on instagram if you wanna check it out.
Hi guys I got into UAL for MSC cosmetic science and I’m really confused if I should go for it or not... being an international student do u guys think it’s a good choice to study in ual. Pls advice
Reply 19
Original post by jayie
Hi , I have applied to all three of these unis as well as 2 others for pharmaceutical science. I'm just waiting on a reply from UAL now. Have you got any offers yet?? :smile:

Did you have to do 2 different personal statements as you applied to 2 different courses?

Quick Reply

Latest