Turn on thread page Beta

I'm worried that I may be harboring racist feelings :s:

Over the course of a few years, I have been attacked three times, on three separate occasions in different cities by a certain ethnic group. None of them have any relation to the other. I'm female btw.

The first incident was when I was a student and I worked part time in pubs bars to fund my degree. Often I'd walk home at closing time (about midnight) as it was only about 500 yards to walk home. As I was walking home I saw someone behind me, so I sped up. I was in a well lit area with traffic so though I was pretty safe. I was grabbed from behind and he attempted to drag me backwards and onto the ground. I thankfully managed to fight him off and call the police once I was safe.

The second was an ex of mine. I went round to his house to collect my belongings after we had broken up. This is really hard to write about, as I haven't even talked to anyone about this. :s: Basically I was locked inside the house and subjected to horrific attacks, including sexually and physically.

The third was just a drunk group of lads who thought it would be funny to grab me on a night out and hold me up against a doorway where I couldn't move and try to kiss me.

So basically I'm now finding myself quite weary of this ethnic group. I know deep down that it's stupid but I can't help it. I feel terrible for it. I feel threatened if I walk past anyone, and I try to avoid contact with people of that ethnicity. I'm not a racist person at all by nature but I am genuinely worried that I could be having those sorts of feelings.

Any advice appreciated.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Maybe try not to be alone especially late at night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Maybe try not to be alone especially late at night.
    Absolutely, it's her fault. :eek: :rolleyes:

I don't anymore, at all. These happened a couple of years ago. The first attack stopped me from going anywhere on my own some time ago.

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Renal)
    Absolutely, it's her fault. :eek: :rolleyes:
    How the hell was I even suggesting that :rolleyes:, I was just saying for safety reasons thats all.

ReputationRep:
    You might want to seek counselling to deal with the second thing, it sounds like you've transferred your emotions from that event onto everyone in that ethnicity. If you haven't talked to anyone about it, then you probably haven't dealt with it properly.

ReputationRep:
    Aww, it sounds like you've had an awful time of it. I certainly wouldn't label you a racist - to be fair, if three of the most horrible things that have ever happened to you have been committed by people of a certain ethnic group, you can hardly be blamed for feeling anxious around people of that ethnicity. You're just, understandably, cautious and shaken up after your experiences. This may be something that will fade in time, or if you happen to meet and befriend someone of that ethnicity who you learn to trust, your feelings may change. But don't worry about being a racist - that you certainly are not. Sorry to hear what's happened to you.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt worry about it, you sound like a level headed person to recognise you're doing it and want to change it. People harbour racist feeling for a lot less than what you've been through one of my friends at uni doesn't like the chinese based on two people in one of her seminars :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    eat more cake, it helps that all i'm saying.

ReputationRep:
    You know as much as people sweep racism under the carpet, or over compensate when someone is called something racist I think there's always going to be a degree of racism unfortunately! For example, one time a couple of months ago me and 2 of my friends went to visit our friend at her uni in manchester, now for the purpose of the story the friend we were visiting was asian, and so was one of my friends.. so there was just me and my friend that were white... now we had a good night until we went to a club, as soon as we walked in we noticed that literally every single other person in the club was either asian or black, obv didnt make any difference to us, but you notice stuff like that dont you?... and seriously for the whole night me and my friend got dirty looks off all the asian/black girls just because we were the odd one's out, we were basically made to feel like we shouldnt be there, was awful! But I think it goes to show that as much as everyone would like not to have those sort of feeling towards a specific ethnic group, it can be difficult sometimes when you get certain ethnic groups thinking they are above others!

im from n enthic minority group..what id say would be try not to generalise the actions of the individuals to all of that minority..its natural to feel hostile towards the ethnic group because of the incident..but you should try talkin to someone about it...like your parents...it might help..

ReputationRep:
    I think the very fact you have posted this thread indicates that you are not a racist and that you are a victim of coincidence. After three incidents, it is understandable why you might jump to conclusions. I'm no profiler, but I'll guess that you have a fairly limited experience of ethnic minorities, and that these incidents have made a pretty bad impression. In practice, if you were alone in rough white areas, you'd be at least as likely to be attacked, in fact probably more so. It's not a question of race, it's a question of thug culture in localities, and that applies to all groups, regardless of ethnicity.

its good that you're confronting these feelings. what you have to remember is that not everyone of the same race is the same! its unfortunate you've only come across those kinds of people. But as black girl who has never attacked ne1 lol all i do is have fun with my mates and study hard,i would hate to be tarred with the same brush as some undesirables just because of my colourl. Just like im sure you'd hate to be seen as the same as every other person in your race.

ReputationRep:
    black people aren't dangerous

ReputationRep:
    You have been through a tough time and no one would blame you any concerns or feelings that might seem a bit out of character. I think it isnt the race of these people that is the problem, its their thug attitude.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 28, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.