Turn on thread page Beta

OK this obviously seems like an incredibly dumb question...but with uni coming up, I'm terrified that I won't make any friends, or won't meet anyone who likes me! I know people will say 'join as many societies as possible, make as many opportunities to meet different people as possible' - which I fully intend on doing. It's just - I'm very, VERY shy, and find it very hard to come out of my shell, ESPECIALLY with people I don't know well, or at all. I'm also not very funny (sounds weird, but literally all my friends are hilarious and can leave me in stitches at the slightest comment). I guess I'm just scared that people will find me boring and won't want to get to know me. I do realise that SO many people must think this at this time of year - the whole getting to know new people/making new friends etc etc - but any tips / reassuring comments would be helpful, for a very worried/nervous/timid girl. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    For some reason I totally get teh "Im not very funny" thing, Im pretty much the same I guess, although I have my odd funny moments, lol.
    As you mentioned - Joining societies etc is a good way of meeting new people. I think that at this time of year a lot of people are in the same boat and are nervous about going and making new friends (I am, lol) but I think its a case of forcing yourself outside your comfort zone sometimes and doing things you arent used to doind, for example, making the first effort to talk to someone even if you are shy and dont normally do that. You must remember that the chances are that the other person may be just as shy as you are.
    My advice is to be yourself, just a little bit louder and chattier. To be honest I think you wont find it that hard to make friends at all.

ReputationRep:
    I think the biggest stumbling block you have is the idea that you have to be somebody else to get people to like you. No matter what sort of freak you are ( ) there's going to be other people just like you there. Most of whom are also nervous about meeting new people.

Really, don't over-analyse it, just talk to people in societies/pubs/your halls and put yourself out there. The worst mistake is to avoid them.

ReputationRep:
    "Hi. Do you want to be my friend? Please."

Voila!

ReputationRep:
    Just think everybody else is in the same boat as you and is probably desparte to make friends too. Just chat to people about anything and just be yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    OK this obviously seems like an incredibly dumb question...but with uni coming up, I'm terrified that I won't make any friends, or won't meet anyone who likes me! I know people will say 'join as many societies as possible, make as many opportunities to meet different people as possible' - which I fully intend on doing. It's just - I'm very, VERY shy, and find it very hard to come out of my shell, ESPECIALLY with people I don't know well, or at all. I'm also not very funny (sounds weird, but literally all my friends are hilarious and can leave me in stitches at the slightest comment). I guess I'm just scared that people will find me boring and won't want to get to know me. I do realise that SO many people must think this at this time of year - the whole getting to know new people/making new friends etc etc - but any tips / reassuring comments would be helpful, for a very worried/nervous/timid girl. Thanks.
    i could have wrote that
    im also worried about not making friends at uni. In sixth form i only had about 4 friends, of whom i had known for years, and i dont find it easy talking to new people or other people in my classes

ReputationRep:
    Which uni are you going to? Join all the facebook groups relevant to what you're doing, find out your new roomies and stuff. Whatever its been like in the past making friends, i think uni will be totally different. There will be many more people all looking to meet new people, wanting to make friends. Do you really think they'll make friends with everyone except you? You cant go wrong being yourself and getting involved in everything. Theres loads of people who are very shy, so it wont just be you, as you'll read on here everyone wants to be liked and friends, so offer people your friendship, chat to everyone, they wont turn you down. As you said you fully intend on getting involved and putting yourself out there, if you do this you'll have no problems.

ReputationRep:
    It's not just about societies. You're actually at uni to study remember :p: when you sit down in class talk to the person next to you, maybe ask if they fancy getting lunch after class or if it's a late one hitting the bar. If you see people from your class anywhere go over and speak to them, ask them how their finding the homework reading or whatever.

Societies etc are useful too obviously.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, girls are so rarely funny. Yes, that might sound sexist... but whilst guys can quite often crack me up, girls who can make me laugh are few and far between. So don't worry too much about that! Or if it's a big issue for you, just look at stuff in an original way and voice your opinions - that's often the best type of humour.

My advice is simple: just do stuff. Don't avoid gatherings if you can help it, go to as many diverse things as possible and when you're there force yourself to chat to people. Everyone likes to talk about themself... so start there!

You'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sehnsucht)
    Haha, girls are so rarely funny. Yes, that might sound sexist... but whilst guys can quite often crack me up, girls who can make me laugh are few and far between. So don't worry too much about that! Or if it's a big issue for you, just look at stuff in an original way and voice your opinions - that's often the best type of humour.

My advice is simple: just do stuff. Don't avoid gatherings if you can help it, go to as many diverse things as possible and when you're there force yourself to chat to people. Everyone likes to talk about themself... so start there!

You'll be fine!
    Girls are less humourous because they can empathise with people more, making it harder for them to joke about someone or something because they are more likely to feel the hurt they may or may not be causing. In essence, they feel more guilty and don't brush things off as easily. Though when they do go in for the kill, it's *****ing while guys would be having a laugh in the same situation.

Back on topic, run up to people carrying a crate of alcohol and food yelling "Party in my room!"

Instant love and the ice is well and truly smashed to pieces.

(Original post by Eskamo)
    Girls are less humourous because they can empathise with people more, making it harder for them to joke about someone or something because they are more likely to feel the hurt they may or may not be causing. In essence, they feel more guilty and don't brush things off as easily. Though when they do go in for the kill, it's *****ing while guys would be having a laugh in the same situation.

Back on topic, run up to people carrying a crate of alcohol and food yelling "Party in my room!"

Instant love and the ice is well and truly smashed to pieces.
    Haha I'll definitely try that!
    Thanks for all the answers, it sounds so easy when you write it! I guess it's just nerves......think I might try the tactic of grabbing the first person I see and running around with them introducing ourselves to everyone...

ReputationRep:
    Haha I'll definitely try that!
    Thanks for all the answers, it sounds so easy when you write it! I guess it's just nerves......think I might try the tactic of grabbing the first person I see and running around with them introducing ourselves to everyone...
    you probably dont want to literally grab them and make them run round with you :p: lol

ReputationRep:
    just be yourself.. dont worry about it.. try to forget about it and get in there and smile

ReputationRep:
    I was the same and then realised I just got to speak like when I was speaking with my family, people aren't going to eat you. If you need convincing just try and loosen up and see what happens, they won't bite you or vomit on you or whatever: they might look at you funny but that's as bad as it could get. Shyness is funny when i think about it because one day you'll realise there's no point in it and you'll go for it! But it won't work without some effort, and if you have to: act! Also at first you might just want to start with letting other people speak, let them do the speaking (they just love it) then develop it from there, gain confidence but remember you got to get into those situations to get out of your "no making friend situation" if there will be one of course!

As a Fresher last year: just talk and talk, ask whatever questions, discuss music (or any other crap), you don't have to be the funny one and there's nothing wrong with not being it, you just laugh with others and have other convos with people. Just remember you can't please everyone, you'll always be the idiot of someone-else and FOR F U CK SAKE JUST REALISE THIS!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 29, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.