Referencing academic papers: URGENT HELP PLEASE SEE DETAILS BELOW

Watch this thread
dash777
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
If I want to reference something that a paper has said but what they have said is from another paper (so for example ' Unfortunately, space constraints prevent this review from covering some topics relevant to social cognitive neuroscience, such as emotion recognition and face processing, how would I reference this? Would I have to go to that paper and find the information I originally found in that article and reference it or can I reference the article that cites the original paper?

Hope this makes sense and isn't too much of a stupid question, am confused especially as it will take me 50x longer to go and read through what the paper I am reading has referenced

PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by dash777)
If I want to reference something that a paper has said but what they have said is from another paper (so for example ' Unfortunately, space constraints prevent this review from covering some topics relevant to social cognitive neuroscience, such as emotion recognition and face processing, how would I reference this? Would I have to go to that paper and find the information I originally found in that article and reference it or can I reference the article that cites the original paper?

Hope this makes sense and isn't too much of a stupid question, am confused especially as it will take me 50x longer to go and read through what the paper I am reading has referenced
You can't cite a citation in a paper - you need to go to the source material and cite that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (121)
41.72%
Not yet, but I will soon (53)
18.28%
No (116)
40%

Watched Threads