Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you like to save money? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If yes, how do you save money? Im not just talking about in term of you saving money in a bank but how do you save money on products and services? any good sites etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s43)
    If yes, how do you save money? Im not just talking about in term of you saving money in a bank but how do you save money on products and services? any good sites etc
    i spend, money goes where good things are...but no i dont save money on products...

ReputationRep:
    I save money by going to a cheap pub instead of paying £2.50 for a pint.

Ok I don't actually drink pints but it's a good comparison figure.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, I save by not going out with my friends much. But I start spending a hundred or two during the holidays though, mostly on PC hardware.

ReputationRep:
    I hardly ever save anything. That's what parents are for. However I do have a couple of savings bonds that were gifts. I'd be kind of stupid to cash those.

ReputationRep:
    I put my pay checks in a savings account. How long they will stay there is anybody's guess.

ReputationRep:
    I spend as soon as money is put into my hand .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s43)
    Me? save money? Art thou mad!?

ReputationRep:
    Money is a wonderful thing........
    This is only my guess, but I reckon people who work for their money usually like to save it, more than people who gets it for free
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    www.moneysavingexpert.com

It has a good section on student money saving, but most of it is aimed at people with a house and kids

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~independent~)
    Money is a wonderful thing........
    This is only my guess, but I reckon people who work for their money usually like to save it, more than people who gets it for free
    agree with this, but even then, when i was earning money i had full control over what i could spend, so i spent it all pretty quickly, but did save up for stuff that i originally wanted instead of jus buying lots of unnecessary things

ReputationRep:
    eBay.

ReputationRep:
    - Buy in bulk, especially things like shampoo etc.
    - Go to sales.
    - ebay.
    - Go to £-stretcher shops, they may have a bad reputation, but you'd be suprised the amount of quality products you can find.
    - Find cheap pubs/clubs/bars in your area, and visit them more often than the expensive ones.

Alternatively, don't buy stupid items you will never use, and/or get a better paid job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    - Buy in bulk, especially things like shampoo etc.
    - Go to sales.
    - ebay.
    - Go to £-stretcher shops, they may have a bad reputation, but you'd be suprised the amount of quality products you can find.
    - Find cheap pubs/clubs/bars in your area, and visit them more often than the expensive ones.

Alternatively, don't buy stupid items you will never use, and/or get a better paid job.
    Quality advice there, especially the last point. I used to spend silly amounts on stuff I don't wear/use but I seem to have grown out of that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s43)
    I have a jar where I put in all loose change that I know will go to waste if I leave it in my pocket. Then I take the heavy jar to ASDA and use the Coinstar machine to change the money into notes. I last changed up 2 weeks ago and got £94! Very good! I reccoment it. Also, you don't need to just put in coppers; pound coins, two pound coins, and silvers are all acceptable. You forget about it once you put it in there.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by icetopaz_h454)
    I have a jar where I put in all loose change that I know will go to waste if I leave it in my pocket. Then I take the heavy jar to ASDA and use the Coinstar machine to change the money into notes. I last changed up 2 weeks ago and got £94! Very good! I reccoment it. Also, you don't need to just put in coppers; pound coins, two pound coins, and silvers are all acceptable. You forget about it once you put it in there.
    Coinstar take 10%! What's wrong with counting it yourself and taking it to the bank?

ReputationRep:
    i like saving, cos then I know I'm gonna have more to spend/fall back on.

(Original post by calumc)
    eBay.
    lol , too true - how did i survive without it! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I alway *try* to save money - it never works though. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    - ebay.
    It is disturbingly addictive!!

ReputationRep:
    I save money in two main ways

1. Not drinking (alcohol)
    2. Absolutely hating shopping, so rarely do it

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.