This discussion is closed.
s43
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
If yes, how do you save money? Im not just talking about in term of you saving money in a bank but how do you save money on products and services? any good sites etc
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by s43)
If yes, how do you save money? Im not just talking about in term of you saving money in a bank but how do you save money on products and services? any good sites etc
i spend, money goes where good things are...but no i dont save money on products...
AndyT
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I save money by going to a cheap pub instead of paying £2.50 for a pint.

Ok I don't actually drink pints but it's a good comparison figure.
lotus_lee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yea, I save by not going out with my friends much. But I start spending a hundred or two during the holidays though, mostly on PC hardware.
Aeris
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I hardly ever save anything. That's what parents are for. However I do have a couple of savings bonds that were gifts. I'd be kind of stupid to cash those.
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I put my pay checks in a savings account. How long they will stay there is anybody's guess.
~independent~
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I spend as soon as money is put into my hand .
Everdawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by s43)
Me? save money? Art thou mad!?
~independent~
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Money is a wonderful thing........
This is only my guess, but I reckon people who work for their money usually like to save it, more than people who gets it for free
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
www.moneysavingexpert.com

It has a good section on student money saving, but most of it is aimed at people with a house and kids
KerChing
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ~independent~)
Money is a wonderful thing........
This is only my guess, but I reckon people who work for their money usually like to save it, more than people who gets it for free
agree with this, but even then, when i was earning money i had full control over what i could spend, so i spent it all pretty quickly, but did save up for stuff that i originally wanted instead of jus buying lots of unnecessary things
A0307
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
eBay.
MC
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
- Buy in bulk, especially things like shampoo etc.
- Go to sales.
- ebay.
- Go to £-stretcher shops, they may have a bad reputation, but you'd be suprised the amount of quality products you can find.
- Find cheap pubs/clubs/bars in your area, and visit them more often than the expensive ones.

Alternatively, don't buy stupid items you will never use, and/or get a better paid job.
zombie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mad Caddie)
- Buy in bulk, especially things like shampoo etc.
- Go to sales.
- ebay.
- Go to £-stretcher shops, they may have a bad reputation, but you'd be suprised the amount of quality products you can find.
- Find cheap pubs/clubs/bars in your area, and visit them more often than the expensive ones.

Alternatively, don't buy stupid items you will never use, and/or get a better paid job.
Quality advice there, especially the last point. I used to spend silly amounts on stuff I don't wear/use but I seem to have grown out of that!
ice_topaz
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by s43)
I have a jar where I put in all loose change that I know will go to waste if I leave it in my pocket. Then I take the heavy jar to ASDA and use the Coinstar machine to change the money into notes. I last changed up 2 weeks ago and got £94! Very good! I reccoment it. Also, you don't need to just put in coppers; pound coins, two pound coins, and silvers are all acceptable. You forget about it once you put it in there.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by icetopaz_h454)
I have a jar where I put in all loose change that I know will go to waste if I leave it in my pocket. Then I take the heavy jar to ASDA and use the Coinstar machine to change the money into notes. I last changed up 2 weeks ago and got £94! Very good! I reccoment it. Also, you don't need to just put in coppers; pound coins, two pound coins, and silvers are all acceptable. You forget about it once you put it in there.
Coinstar take 10%! What's wrong with counting it yourself and taking it to the bank?
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i like saving, cos then I know I'm gonna have more to spend/fall back on.

(Original post by calumc)
eBay.
lol , too true - how did i survive without it! :confused:
Kiesha
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I alway *try* to save money - it never works though. :rolleyes:
Toyosi
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mad Caddie)
- ebay.
It is disturbingly addictive!!
Willla2
Report 15 years ago
I save money in two main ways

1. Not drinking (alcohol)
2. Absolutely hating shopping, so rarely do it
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you're planning on going to uni this year, would any of these financial reasons stop you?

Not being able to work now to save up for uni (90)
13.89%
Reduced household income due to coronavirus means I can't afford to go (53)
8.18%
Lack of part-time jobs to support me while I'm at uni (83)
12.81%
Lack of graduate job prospects when I finish uni (78)
12.04%
Other reasons are stopping me going (83)
12.81%
Nothing is stopping me going (261)
40.28%

Watched Threads