The Student Room Group

Transwoman:You can't change you gender just because you feel like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaIGDpjcKZc

Rodrigo Rebekah from Big Brother 10 was recently on Judge Rinder, where she opened up about what she's been through. One thing she said was that being an actual transperson is a real struggle, and you can't change your gender day to day, which I bet Tumblrinas won't like! But who'd know better, than someone who's been through it? She'd probably get slammed for "Passing Priviledge" or something stupid.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

"Tumblrinas" :lol:
Honestly I never really like the whole "this argument about ____ people is wrong because I am an _____ person and that's my proof!" You say who would know better than someone who's been through it, but there are also people who have been through it all who are against what she is saying.

Idk, personally I just think this is just a little narrow minded, and the media is of course going to eat it up because its a way of being anti trans without being anti trans
Reply 3
You can't change your gender full stop.
I think its the alt right morons and trolls who make a big fuss about this whole issue than people who actually think theres more than 359284908 genders.

Everyone has a right to an opinion, ironically it's always the alt right clowns who cry "but muh freedom of speech" who try to silence and shout down others by mockery, trolling and slander.
(edited 7 years ago)
She's not being transphobic tho. She's not saying you can't identify as the opposite gender you were assigned at birth. She's not saying gender dysphoria doesn't exist.

She's saying that the people who flip flop between genders everyday are speaking out of their arse. She's saying that she's been on a life long struggle, it's not a phase she picked up one day because she read it on tumblr.

And she's absolutely right.
So much ignorance here smh - being trans isn't about changing your gender, it's actually about rearranging your biological sex to match your gender. Most transwomen change because they were born a woman in a man's body and experience distress and body dysphoria which cis people clearly won't understand.

Maybe instead of taking one convenient piece of anecdotal evidence and making sweeping and damaging statements about an already marginalised group of people, you should educate yourself on gender.

Also, being gender fluid or any other non-binary identity isn't about 'choosing' something, it's about finally finding a way to express and describe what you already are. Society needs to catch up.
Original post by nverjvlev
So much ignorance here smh - being trans isn't about changing your gender, it's actually about rearranging your biological sex to match your gender. Most transwomen change because they were born a woman in a man's body and experience distress and body dysphoria which cis people clearly won't understand.

Maybe instead of taking one convenient piece of anecdotal evidence and making sweeping and damaging statements about an already marginalised group of people, you should educate yourself on gender.

Also, being gender fluid or any other non-binary identity isn't about 'choosing' something, it's about finally finding a way to express and describe what you already are. Society needs to catch up.

@MildredMalone is an advocate for the alt right, who are proud of being online trolls that push a severely regressive agenda that focuses on ignorance. Don't expect better.
Original post by MildredMalone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaIGDpjcKZc

Rodrigo Rebekah from Big Brother 10 was recently on Judge Rinder, where she opened up about what she's been through. One thing she said was that being an actual transperson is a real struggle, and you can't change your gender day to day, which I bet Tumblrinas won't like! But who'd know better, than someone who's been through it? She'd probably get slammed for "Passing Priviledge" or something stupid.

You spelt privilege wrong cretin.
Original post by bigbattygal
@MildredMalone is an advocate for the alt right, who are proud of being online trolls that push a severely regressive agenda that focuses on ignorance. Don't expect better.

Ah, a neo-fascist. Interesting how their politics always involves using ignorance, misinformation and oppression to define a group of people.
Ah, a neo-fascist. Interesting how their politics always involves using ignorance, misinformation and oppression to define a group of people.

They're really a group of devolved beings that took a step back in evolutionary terms. It's not really politics, it's just a very basic way of thinking that involves generalising and they don't really understand the complexity of society. I find them fascinating.
Reply 11
nverjvlev

It's quite literally impossible to "rearrange" your biological sex. It's quite literally impossible to be born "a man in a woman's body", unless you are intersex, which is incredibly rare.

nverjvlev

These are made up contructs so yes it is about "choosing". You can "identify" as whatever you want but don't demand people take your adolescent identity crisis seriously.
Original post by Crassy

These are made up contructs so yes it is about "choosing". You can "identify" as whatever you want but don't demand people take your adolescent identity crisis seriously.

How would you know they're made up constructs? Your argument is based on that presumption.

Unless ofc you are non binary but have forced yourself to identify as binary.
Reply 13
bigbattygal
How would you know they're made up constructs? Your argument is based on that presumption.

Unless ofc you are non binary but have forced yourself to identify as binary.

Because they are quite literally made up contructs. There's nothing that defines someone as "non-binary" aside from someone saying they are "non-binary". Same as calling yourself an emo or a nerd, call yourself that but don't pretend it's anything other than a part of your weird tumblr subculture.

The only exceptions are intersex people, who have a legitimate disorder related to their sex.
Original post by Crassy
Because they are quite literally made up contructs. There's nothing that defines someone as "non-binary" aside from someone saying they are "non-binary". Same as calling yourself an emo or a nerd, call yourself that but don't pretend it's anything other than a part of your weird tumblr subculture.

The only exceptions are intersex people, who have a legitimate disorder related to their sex.

Im not non binary, i identify as a male so i dont know how it feels like. So unless you do, what you're saying is the dictionary definition of ignorance.
Original post by Crassy
It's quite literally impossible to be born "a man in a woman's body", unless you are intersex, which is incredibly rare.

How would you know? Presumably you are lucky enough not to have had it happen to you, but you have no way of determining what other people are going through in the confines of their own minds, other than what they tell you. Isn't it better to extend them credence than to scorn and marginalise them?

Original post by Crassy

Society is a collection of useful made-up constructs. Get used to it. Identifying as gender-fluid or nonbinary is useful for some people. How does it injure you to humour them, at the very least?
Original post by Mathemagicien
Just because a transgender says something transphobic, doesn't justify the transphobia.

Its funny when the right-wing people try to latch on to an argument saying "I'm not transphobic, that transgender agrees with me!", which is similar to the old "I'm not racist, I have a black friend".

Why would a white racist be friends with a black person?
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Why would a white racist be friends with a black person?

They're racist, their minds work differently. Besides black people are actually fun to be around.

I'm pro-trans, but I don't believe in "gender fluidity" - neither does a transwoman, one who clearly has suffered.

Original post by bigbattygal

I'm not regressive, I'm supportive of trans rights. I just think rubbish like being "gender fluid" is a pile of garbage, and an insult to people who actually suffer due to being trans.
Reply 19
bigbattygal
Im not non binary, i identify as a male so i dont know how it feels like. So unless you do, what you're saying is the dictionary definition of ignorance.

Refusing to entertain people's delusions about their "identity" is not the dictionary definition of ignorance.

Latest

Trending

Trending