Watch
This discussion is closed.
Crassy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
How would you know? Presumably you are lucky enough not to have had it happen to you, but you have no way of determining what other people are going through in the confines of their own minds, other than what they tell you. Isn't it better to extend them credence than to scorn and marginalise them?

Society is a collection of useful made-up constructs. Get used to it. Identifying as gender-fluid or nonbinary is useful for some people. How does it injure you to humour them, at the very least?
I can humour them. I just don't take them seriously and would ask they stop demanding people do. I don't see how it's "useful" for society to be forced to pretend someone who is male is female. Society has worked just fine before it. Leftist social engineering has lowered birth rates and led to broken families becoming far more commonplace, how is that "useful". You know what society has the most "utility" a homogenous traditional one.
nverjvlev
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by HopelessMedic)
Changing your biological sex hasn't exactly worked though has it? 40% of people who have reassignment surgery want it reversed and there's no evidence that the change results in less depression and reduced suicide rates amongst the Trans community, so it's really not as simple as you make it sound.
Nothing that I said implied simplicity, in reality, I was trying to explain how it's much more complicated than someone just waking up one day and saying "jee, I'd love to be a woman today", something which a lot of media sites seem to imply.

I wasn't making a statement on the appropriateness of gender reassignment surgery as a treatment option either, however, transexuality often leads to this procedure.

I'd be interested to know where you found that statistic by the way, I wasn't aware of that.
username2191987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bigbattygal)
You spelt privilege wrong cretin.
So somebody gets a word wrong and is a cretin, yet you cannot use grammar correctly. What does that make you?
cherryred90s
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nverjvlev)
So much ignorance here smh - being trans isn't about changing your gender, it's actually about rearranging your biological sex to match your gender.
You can't rearrange your biological sex, it's fixed. No amount of surgery can change that. You can only rearrange your external physical characteristics, but that still has no effect on your biological sex
allison-kaas
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
why would he get accused of passing privilege when he doesn't even come close to passing?
allison-kaas
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nverjvlev)
So much ignorance here smh - being trans isn't about changing your gender, it's actually about rearranging your biological sex to match your gender. Most transwomen change because they were born a woman in a man's body and experience distress and body dysphoria which cis people clearly won't understand.

Maybe instead of taking one convenient piece of anecdotal evidence and making sweeping and damaging statements about an already marginalised group of people, you should educate yourself on gender.

Also, being gender fluid or any other non-binary identity isn't about 'choosing' something, it's about finally finding a way to express and describe what you already are. Society needs to catch up.
Society doesn't need to do anything. We don't cater to lunatics.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (144)
4.87%
Uncertainty around my education (435)
14.7%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (333)
11.25%
Lack of purpose or motivation (411)
13.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (137)
4.63%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (179)
6.05%
Loneliness (255)
8.62%
Financial worries (109)
3.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (121)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (135)
4.56%
Lack of real life entertainment (159)
5.37%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (261)
8.82%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (280)
9.46%

Watched Threads