Turn on thread page Beta

Guitar players challenge watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Yeah I just learn songs too :rolleyes:
    Well I mean like if someone says play so and so chord I cant do it I can only just remember the names of the strings. I know the names of about 5 chords.

I want to learn but I'm too lazy really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poop)
    Well I mean like if someone says play so and so chord I cant do it I can only just remember the names of the strings. I know the names of about 5 chords.

I want to learn but I'm too lazy really.
    Yeh but chords are **** and pointless I know loads of chords just cant match the name to the chord if you get me..

ReputationRep:
    umm not trying to embarrass you guys, but i'm probably the best guitarist here. What song do u want me to record and post up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ResidentEvil)
    umm not trying to embarrass you guys, but i'm probably the best guitarist here. What song do u want me to record and post up?
    Van Halen - Eruption

or

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poop)
    Van Halen - Eruption

or

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird
    unfortunately I've never heard Freebird before, but I got Eruption somewhere.

10 minutes later:
    ok just digged around my mp3s and found Eruption. It's just 6 minutes of mindless soloing - seriously it's not even a song, and you must be kidding me to try to work out a 6-minute IMPROVISED solo! If you want me to make my OWN 6 minute solo equivalent to that one, then please say so

I hope you realise Van Halen is more or less improvising i.e. he is pretty much playing the solo completely randomly but within various scales.

I want an actual "song" to work out and play where there are lyrics and picking would be nice too.

ReputationRep:

10 minutes later:
    ok just digged around my mp3s and found Eruption. It's just 6 minutes of mindless soloing - seriously it's not even a song, and you must be kidding me to try to work out a 6-minute IMPROVISED solo! If you want me to make my OWN 6 minute solo equivalent to that one, then please say so

I hope you realise Van Halen is more or less improvising i.e. he is pretty much playing the solo completely randomly but within various scales.

I want an actual "song" to work out and play where there are lyrics and picking would be nice too.
    LOL, I love it when people do that 'Thats easy...its just...blablabla...cant be arsed to do it tho!'

Anyway, Metallica - Master of puppets

How long do you want?

ReputationRep:

10 minutes later:

Eruption is a minute and a half and isn't improvised on their album. Though he does improvise when playing it live I think.

ReputationRep:
    LOL, I love it when people do that 'Thats easy...its just...blablabla...cant be arsed to do it tho!'

Anyway, Metallica - Master of puppets

How long do you want?
    nah i'm not saying it's 'easy' (i think it's ok - I did offer to do one), i'm just saying its an improvised solo, and seriously it'll take ages to work out and perfect, and therefore it will be VERY VERY boring. It's like recording a person randomly dancing about on stage for ages, and then getting a normal or professional dancer to practice and mimic it's exact moves - it's just pointless and not worth it!

MAster of Puppets - thats MUCH better, but i cant do it rite now my families asleep (and i've just been watchin movies)....tomorrow evening and morning im busy. Ok, how about tomorrow night? oh do u want the WHOLE song - i mean if the verses are repeated then it's no point playing more than one chorus and verse rite?

Edit: Today night actually hehe it's tomorrow rite now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poop)
    Eruption is a minute and a half and isn't improvised on their album. Though he does improvise when playing it live I think.
    weird I got a 6 minute 45 seconds version. If he improvises it during live performance, then isn't the 'so-called' song itself a bit of an improvisation? How many MBs is it? I'll try and download another version

ReputationRep:
    This is the standard album/greatest hits version:
    http://www.uk-learning.net/attachmen...achmentid=4452

Highly compressed I'm sorry because UKL limit is 100kb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poop)
    This is the standard album/greatest hits version:
    http://www.uk-learning.net/attachmen...achmentid=4452

Highly compressed I'm sorry because UKL limit is 100kb.
    when I press the link I just get random text appearing? cant u just zip and attach?

ReputationRep:
    when I press the link I just get random text appearing? cant u just zip and attach?
    Right click and save as. Then delete the .html off the end. Sorry, UKL's fault not mine

ReputationRep:
    nah i'm not saying it's 'easy' (i think it's ok - I did offer to do one), i'm just saying its an improvised solo, and seriously it'll take ages to work out and perfect, and therefore it will be VERY VERY boring. It's like recording a person randomly dancing about on stage for ages, and then getting a normal or professional dancer to practice and mimic it's exact moves - it's just pointless and not worth it!

MAster of Puppets - thats MUCH better, but i cant do it rite now my families asleep (and i've just been watchin movies)....tomorrow evening and morning im busy. Ok, how about tomorrow night? oh do u want the WHOLE song - i mean if the verses are repeated then it's no point playing more than one chorus and verse rite?

Edit: Today night actually hehe it's tomorrow rite now
    Thats fine, and both solos

ReputationRep:
    Smells like teen spirit will be up soonish, I take it im the only one whos doin it?

ReputationRep:
    Smells like teen spirit will be up soonish, I take it im the only one whos doin it?
    too easy , probably the first song most learn to play on the guitar , how bout nothing else matters or stairway to heaven .... theyre not too hard but not too easy either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infekt)
    too easy , probably the first song most learn to play on the guitar , how bout nothing else matters or stairway to heaven .... theyre not too hard but not too easy either
    how about sweet child of mine, thats not bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    how about sweet child of mine, thats not bad.
    i know hot to play it .... my guitar amp is screwed up and i cant play it ... and my acoustic is not cutaway so i cant get down to the frets

i dont get one of the parts in that song . The sweetest thing ive heard of guns and roses is this guitar instructer of mine who played November rain on the guitar ... he transcibed all the piano parts for the guitar .. was so cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infekt)
    i know hot to play it .... my guitar amp is screwed up and i cant play it ... and my acoustic is not cutaway so i cant get down to the frets

i dont get one of the parts in that song . The sweetest thing ive heard of guns and roses is this guitar instructer of mine who played November rain on the guitar ... he transcibed all the piano parts for the guitar .. was so cool

My acoustic is like that too. I've only actually learnt the intro of that song couldn't be arsed going further in i got so fed up with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndyT)
    Great idea, but I've only got a bass, and I really need to learn to play that at some point.
    http://www.activebass.com
    Some great lessons on there and you will be able to learn a lot.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Can we make the first song Wonderwall? I can play that!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.