The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
MissHero
I'm pretty certain they would not penalise her for being seriously ill, it's an unavoidable circumstance.

plus you would mature as a result, which is the whole point of a gap year. maybe even much more than you would if you went travelling .
Reply 21
lee99
oh ok. but maybe if the uni is prestigious. ie oxbridge

Why would any university be unforgiving if someone falls ill and can't complete their gap year in the way they originally planned? It's not like they're being undecisive or lazy!

Anyway, I'm 22 and just about to start uni! It never really occurred to me that I might be one of the older people (which I doubt would be the case, plenty of people go to uni in their late 20s, 30s, 40s...). I doubt most of the 18 year olds would even realise you're a bit older, I was at college with 16-18 year olds and when any of them found out I was older, they were shocked and couldn't believe it. :wink:
I've been 20 since March and going to uni in late September. There's nothing wrong with it.
Reply 23
lee99
yeah but she applied for deferred entry, so wouldn't have been able to do what she intially said she would in the year out

I do wonder what would happen if someone falls ill just before he or she has to go to uni. Would the university allow you to defer again?
angel156
I do wonder what would happen if someone falls ill just before he or she has to go to uni. Would the university allow you to defer again?

I would imagine it would depend on what illness it was that you had.
nikki
Anyway, I'm 22 and just about to start uni! It never really occurred to me that I might be one of the older people (which I doubt would be the case, plenty of people go to uni in their late 20s, 30s, 40s...). I doubt most of the 18 year olds would even realise you're a bit older, I was at college with 16-18 year olds and when any of them found out I was older, they were shocked and couldn't believe it. :wink:

Same here, whenever I tell people I'm 22 they just look shocked. I went out with a couple of my friends who were 19 and 20 I was the one that ended up getting ID'd.
Reply 26
I'll be nearly 20 as will many I suppose who have done gap years etc.
Reply 27
I'll be nearly 20 after dropping out of my first Uni and starting again. From my experience at University last time, people were more concerned with getting a conversation started and making friends than discriminating between ages. It's not like at school/college where there's a huge gap between year groups!
Reply 28
I'll be turning 20 a few months into the year [November], I don't think it's 'late' or that I'm 'old' or anything. :biggrin:
Reply 29
Cromulent
I would imagine it would depend on what illness it was that you had.

an illness as serious as, suppose, cancer? Would places like oxbridge allow a candidate to defer twice due to the exceptional circumstances?
Reply 30
20 what how do you think i feel i will be 23!!! dont worry about it love it will be fine xx
Reply 31
I am 35 but look erm 35 lol

Anyone recommend any creams that will help me look 18?

Lol
angel156
an illness as serious as, suppose, cancer? Would places like oxbridge allow a candidate to defer twice due to the exceptional circumstances?

I would hope so. Of course you would have to ask the admissions team at the University.
Reply 33
i'll be 20 when i start uni, i'm a septeber birthday too and i had to take a year out cos of my anorexia, don't worry about it!
I'm 21 and starting uni in sept. I wasn't mature enough at 18 to deal with university life so decided to get more experience in what I wanted to study. Ended up with 2 gap years and a diploma!

I'm glad I'll be one of the oldest on my course - it's an advantage as I have more experience and more knowledge than the young ones who decided to give it a go because it sounds like fun. lol.
Reply 35
Ilora-Danon
I'm 21 and starting uni in sept. I wasn't mature enough at 18 to deal with university life so decided to get more experience in what I wanted to study. Ended up with 2 gap years and a diploma!

I'm glad I'll be one of the oldest on my course - it's an advantage as I have more experience and more knowledge than the young ones who decided to give it a go because it sounds like fun. lol.

Blimey that makes me erm I dunno then ... mind you I am as old as my Course Leader :p:
Reply 36
I'll be 21 when I start. It doesn't matter what age you are. Work hard and play harder!
Reply 37
Play harder I like that :smile:
Reply 38
Cromulent
I would hope so. Of course you would have to ask the admissions team at the University.

oh well, thankfully I was never in a crisis like that.
But I should hope they do accept someone who defers again due to a serious illness.
Reply 39
Not at all, I was 18 when I started but the majority of people I lived with were 19/20 when they started.

Latest

Trending

Trending